Reply 21+
Judging others based on age Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dark_Lady_Jade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:38 pm
I'm sure we've all done it, in some way. Whether it be wondering if someone's crabby because they're older, or figuring that kids get into stuff because their youth gives them excess energy.

But has someone ever judged you because of your age, or because of the age they thought you were?

For me, it's happened a lot. I have a very young sounding voice (people keep telling me), so one time when someone called our house asking to speak to my mom (I still live at home, and it was a business call), the lady asked me, "Is your mommy home?" You know, like how a little kid gets asked. I laughed about it, though.

One time I was in the Extended Discussion forum, and instead of wanting to debate with me, a couple idiots kept trying to figure out if I was in middle school, just because I didn't agree with what they were saying. That time I got annoyed (especially since I'm older than the snobby college student who kept flaunting her education, and I am a college student myself stare ).

So, what are your experiences with judging others based on age, and being judged yourself?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:40 am
I get people assuming that I am younger all the time, but I think it is largely because I'm at uni...everyone just assumes I'm a similar age to them. While I can concede that maybe I don't quite look 27, I don't think I look THAT young!!  

Doressa
Captain

Darc_Master_Alchemist

800 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:54 am
Depending on the circumstances one my feel another person to have a young personality. I would accepted it since all of us seem to be kids in heart and the ones judging are usually people with great restraint on their own intelligence since the only comeback made was apon ones age. If you play gaia be prepared to run into a hoarde of idiots.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:15 pm
Doressa
I get people assuming that I am younger all the time, but I think it is largely because I'm at uni...everyone just assumes I'm a similar age to them. While I can concede that maybe I don't quite look 27, I don't think I look THAT young!!

I don't look 35 either but at least I don't get carded anymore. *isn't sure that's a good thing*  

lightsenshi

SydneySkye
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:42 pm
I go other places in Gaia to talk and the minute they find out how OLD I am they shun me, they don't want me around. It is terrible, makes me think there are no manners left in the world.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:48 pm
Everyone once in a blue moon a younger gaian will actually listen to me when they find out I'm older and have a little more life experience. It was awesome, this girl was talking about problems with her appearance and she actually heeded my advice to use less eye liner and focus more on the colors of her clothing xp I about died of shock (my advice to her was to lessen the make up and instead work on matching clothing with skin tone to give a natural emphasis of her positive features).

However most of the time...

The reason I joke so much around here about being "old" is not because I genuinely think being 22 is old by any means. As the carpenters say "we've only just begun, to live." ok, quoting the Carpenters might make me old... But really it's my ironic jab at the rp'er age guidelines. In text rp and rp communities it is generally as follows:

11- beginner, NEWB
12- amateur, young blood
13-14- regular player
15- more experienced
16-17- Prime
18-19- Older
20-22- Veteran
23-25- Middle aged-old
25-30- really old
31-35- ANCIENT, LIKE OMG!!!
35-etc- LIKE OMG!!!!!111!!!!!11 UR LIK DED!!! LIK OMG EWWWW HOW ARE YOU STILL ALIVE -explodes-

There are exceptions in every age group naturally, but for me personally I'm looking forward to hitting 40 something and being the cause of the spontaneous combustion of an adolescent. biggrin  

AntoniaMerEnfant

Doressa
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:48 pm
lightsenshi
Doressa

I don't look 35 either but at least I don't get carded anymore. *isn't sure that's a good thing*

I bought a ticket to a concert at a bar recently, and didn't bring ID, because I can't remember the last time I was asked, and what do you know? He asked for ID!! I had to point out my new grey hairs and force him to let me in! It was crazy!! Particularly because our legal drinking age is 18, so he was saying I looked ten years younger than my actual age!! It was bizarre, and not at all flattering.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:34 am
At least I don't look like a high school kid anymore.
My younger friends (16-1 cool still can't wrap their heads around me being 30 though. It's really cute. Honestly, at this point I'll take what I can get!
Sometimes I still get carded for cigarettes!

I try my best not to judge by age, but if someone's acting obstinate and I check their age and see them young I can forgive them for acting their age.

ON the inverse,
I become VERY disappointed when I see someone 21+ acting like a total prat and typing in netspeak on a constant and consistent basis.  

miiyukki

Newbie Noob

lunashock

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:12 pm
Heh, I tend to look rather young and sometimes it's quite amusing that people are shocked to hear I am married with a kid. It depends really on what age bracket I'm in. I have older friends (and even sometimes my husband) that joke on me being a baby or not even a twinkle in my father's eye for certain historical events.

I admit, I probably tend to to it at times. I remember there was this one asshat that posted a picture in his signature saying something along the lines that the people in the Challenger disaster died so he could be born, really ticked me off.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:46 am
I have both been judged and the one judging.

I'm A high school teacher, but I'm only 23. Not only that, but I look like I'm 17 and sound like I'm 14. I catch a lot of flack for that from my students and my fellow teachers as well. One instance I remember clearly was picture day when the photographer asked me what grade I was in. Along with that, the next youngest teacher in the entire school is 32, so there are a lot of teachers that look down on me for my "new-school" methods of teaching. I get criticized a lot, but I get better results than they do, so it works out.

As for myself being the one judging, well, I am a high school teacher, so unfortunately I sometimes see and hear the things that my students do and think that it's commonplace for someone of that age to be acting in such a manner. Granted I know not all high school kids act the same, and I feel bad knowing that I sometimes excuse theri behavior because of it, but that's something that I am working on.  

Dafthank

CattiBrieann

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:09 pm
All I know is that im getting awefully close to rubbing on 30. I dont like getting older...I dread my birthdays. Im unsure of how old I look...since i've started dieing my hair to cover the grey >.<. Time just seems to pass by too quickly. I just get use to being 27 and now im 28...good grief. When I was younger people ALWAYS thought I was older. Now that im older..I hope it starts to go in reverse. They can think im younger ALL they want...I wont complain!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:32 am
I'm loving being 27! I freak out occasionally though, but just because there is so much I want to do and see, and I also want to have kids, and I worry that I won't have time for it all... rolleyes  

Doressa
Captain

lightsenshi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:09 am
Doressa
I'm loving being 27! I freak out occasionally though, but just because there is so much I want to do and see, and I also want to have kids, and I worry that I won't have time for it all... rolleyes

*stares* I wouldn't mind being 27 again. wink  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:31 am
The closer it gets to my birthday, the older I feel. However, I don't think I'd want to try to live the years again since I am here now. Time is lineral and thus, only flows one direction.  

Tillisnut

Aged Survivor

23,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Voter 100

Prince Mykal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:23 am
I belong to a guild where the kids range in age from 13 to about 18. There are one or two that may be as old as 22. The regulars that I talk to frequently know how old I am (3 cool but my age is not an issue. I do not join some threads due to the subject matter but other than that I feel that I am accepted as just another Gaian.  
21+

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff