Submit

origamiboxers
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:46 am
Basic Color Wheel:
Chairo : Brown
Aka : Red Ah-kah
Kin : Gold kee-n
Kiiro : Yellow keee--row (hold the 'ee' sound for a bit longer than normal because of the extra 'i')
Midori : Green Mee-doh-Ree
Ao : Blue Ah-oh
Murasaki : Purple moo-rah-sah-kee

Kuro : Black kuu-row
Gin : Silver Gee-n
Shiro : White shee-row

Adding an 'i' to the end of most colors turns it into an adjective. If it already ends with 'i' then you dont have to add an extra 'i'.

Example:
Ao > Aoi ah-oh-ee
Aka > Akai ah-kah-ee

Feel free to add to the list (as always).

Note, thanks to the below posters:

Murasaki and Midori need to have a "no" after them to become adjectives.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:58 pm
"Iro" is the word itself for color.

"Anata no iro gasuki desu ka?"
What is your favorite color?

And so on. biggrin  

Super Mint-Chan

5,500 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

origamiboxers
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:23 am
Arigato! I completely forgot to mention that! sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:54 pm
MintAdnade
"Iro" is the word itself for color.

"Anata no iro gasuki desu ka?"
What is your favorite color?

And so on. biggrin

Hey Mint~ the phrase you posted comes out more like "Do you like your color?"

The more appropiate phrase is Sukina iro wa nan desuka Literally~ Favorite color, what is it? To put in our English format: What is your favorite color?

I had 500 kids ask me that very question over a two year period. It is burned into my brain 3nodding  

1koza

Tenzin Chodron
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:36 pm
Out of all the colours, the only one that isn't an adjective is midori, which is a noun. This makes a difference when using it to describe the colour of an object: akai kasa (red umbrella), versus midori no kasa (green umbrealla). The particle "no" is used to give possession of the "kasa" to the "midori." Strange, isn't it?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:57 pm
Rin Solaris
Out of all the colours, the only one that isn't an adjective is midori, which is a noun. This makes a difference when using it to describe the colour of an object: akai kasa (red umbrella), versus midori no kasa (green umbrealla). The particle "no" is used to give possession of the "kasa" to the "midori." Strange, isn't it?

that is because They never really had a word for green untill recently. Everything green was called blue. sweatdrop  

Vincent Valentine-Jenova
Captain

chinotenshi

Tipsy Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:19 am
Vincent Valentine-Jenova
Rin Solaris

that is because They never really had a word for green untill recently. Everything green was called blue. sweatdrop

Well, the kanji for "blue" 青 means "green" in Chinese, so the Japanese used it for both "green" and "blue" for years.

Also, murasaki is also a noun, much like midori, and needs "no" as a connector. (murasaki no kutsushita = purple socks).  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:11 pm
Is it true that adding -iro to the end of an object means (object)-colored?

In a fansub, i saw nijiro translated to rainbow-colored, and niji means rainbow. So could sakurairo mean cherry blossom colored? Or is nijiro a word itself?

I heard that in DBZ, the sky on the planet Namec (sp?) is colored green and the grass is blue because it's based on the images in a childs coloring book, where they get the colors green and blue confused.  

Miriam The Bat

chinotenshi

Tipsy Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:26 am
Miriam The Bat
Is it true that adding -iro to the end of an object means (object)-colored?

In a fansub, i saw nijiro translated to rainbow-colored, and niji means rainbow. So could sakurairo mean cherry blossom colored? Or is nijiro a word itself?

I heard that in DBZ, the sky on the planet Namec (sp?) is colored green and the grass is blue because it's based on the images in a childs coloring book, where they get the colors green and blue confused.

There are a few things that they just don't have a color word for so they add "iro" to the end of words. Examples that I can think of are:
Nezumi-iro = gray (mouse color)
Cha-iro = brown (tea color)

As for the DBZ thing, no clue. I try to stay away from DBZ.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:09 pm
More on "midori", the kanji for midori means greenery, like plants and stuff. Thus, green. =D

Midori ga suki ^-^  

Steeple

Buggy Nymph

58,625 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350

LeTs.BoWliNg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:28 pm
chinotenshi
Vincent Valentine-Jenova
Rin Solaris

Well, the kanji for "blue" 青 means "green" in Chinese, so the Japanese used it for both "green" and "blue" for years.

Also, murasaki is also a noun, much like midori, and needs "no" as a connector. (murasaki no kutsushita = purple socks).
I noticed that pink wasn't mentioned. Pink and orange are just western words now, but the old word for pink was momo iro (peach color) I remember, because my grandma would say it instead of pinku. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:31 pm
origamiboxers

Murasaki : Purple mo-ra-sa-key

wait. isn't it mu/moo-ra-sa-kee ?  

LeTs.BoWliNg

chinotenshi

Tipsy Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:10 pm
LeTs.BoWliNg
origamiboxers

"moo-ra-sa-kee" is the pronounciation of "murasaki". The actual spelling is "murasaki" if you translate directly from the hiragana:

むらさき => mu ra sa ki

And as for "momoiro" for pink, it is still used for more of peachy-pink instead of full-out bright pink. The pink that Hello Kitty items come in is refered to as "pinku" while lighter shades of pink that have a hint of orange to them (i.e. look like a peach) are refered to as "momoiro".  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:29 am
chinotenshi
LeTs.BoWliNg
origamiboxers

"moo-ra-sa-kee" is the pronounciation of "murasaki". The actual spelling is "murasaki" if you translate directly from the hiragana:

むらさき => mu ra sa ki

And as for "momoiro" for pink, it is still used for more of peachy-pink instead of full-out bright pink. The pink that Hello Kitty items come in is refered to as "pinku" while lighter shades of pink that have a hint of orange to them (i.e. look like a peach) are refered to as "momoiro".
on the purple thingie...on your post it says mo-ra-sa-key. that's what i was wondering about  

LeTs.BoWliNg

origamiboxers
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:58 am
who added pronounciations to my post? not very good ones either....

*edits it*  
The Japanese Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces