FOOD Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Food is good.
  That's not really a question...
  I concur.
  I don't know what concur means, but I agree.
  Food? Who needs food? We've got mead!
  I eat gold.
View Results

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:09 pm
Once upon a time there was a feast oriented thread, but it died without a single recipe! Now that there are many new members, I decided to give it another shot.

What are your favorite feast foods? Do you have any great period recipes to share? Any good camp fire recipes? Share!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:15 pm
Well, I don't have to many food recipes for the SCA, but I do know MANY mead making recipes. *grinz, putting his hand over his heart* Its in the blood, you know? All Norskey's should know how to make a good mead.

This mead is a secret that I have kept for many years given to me by the great brewmaster Loki of the Rouges in AnTir. After having coveted his pattented "Silver Mead" for many years, Loki finnaly trusted me enough to give me the recipe. So, here it is, SILVER MEAD by Loki of the Rouges of AnTir.

Quote:
SILVER MEAD RECIPE

Ingredeants: 4.5kg Dark Honey, 300ml Vanilla essence water to 25 litres, yeast nutirent, all purpose wine yeast .

Process: Mix honey in very hot water to steralise. Make up to 25L with water and Vanilla. When temp is 30 deg C, add yeast and ferment to dryness. Add clearing agent and bottle. Let sit for at least 12 month for a good taste, better after 2 years.

Chibbi_Satan

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:38 pm
Hey, won't say no to a good mead recipe! Thank you!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:11 pm
Easy snack that was served at the first event I ever went to:

Ingredients:
Bread
Cheese
Cinnamon.

Slice bread. Lay on tray (or grill/braisier/etc). Slice cheese & place on top. Sprinkle with Cinnamon. Grill until cheese is melted. Serve.

It takes some getting used to, the first reaction is generally "That's weird..." which builds up over the evening to "This is REALLY good!".

I always add sugar as well, because it tastes better... so it's basically Cinnamon-Sugar toast with a kick.

As for actual recipes, I don't have any yet... I spent my first (& only!) Rowany Festival with my food being made by the wonderful Crispin (yay for paying someone else to cook for me!) while most other campsites survived on naught but sausages for the whole 5 days...

JewelsSparkle

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:18 pm
I'll post a recipe for sekanjabin in a day or two, but...

Savory Toasted Cheese:

Combine brie, cream cheese, and butter. Melt on stove top. Serve warm with bread.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:29 am
ninja Hrmmmm....listening to all this talk of mead and food is making me hungry...*goes to the kitchen* domokun  

Chibbi_Satan

KonstantinJ

1,250 Points
  • Piepitcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Heckler 50
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:15 am
here's a good russian sauce for pretty much anything

melt a whole stick of butter in a saucepan, cut up about a pint of mushrooms and put it in the pan, simmer for several minutes(it doesn't really matter how long), mix in several teaspoons of sour cream, take off heat and serve

i've never actually been to a feast...or even an event for that matter. Sad, i know, but that will change very soon hopefully XD  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:27 am
*gurgle* food...  

Hyratel Dragon

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:23 pm
I came up with a good campfire recipe recently, and when I tried it out this weekend at Border Skirmish, it was a success! Yay! I don't know if it's actually an origional recipe, but I didn't get it from anywhere but my own head. So it may not be period, but it's quick, easy, and made from things available in period.

Garlic and Rosemary Pork Chops:

Pork Chops (not too thick)
Fresh Whole Garlic
Rosemary (fresh or dried)
Parmesan Cheese (shredded, not grated)
Olive Oil

Take one or two (depending on how many chops you're making) garlic clove parts and peel and smash them. Heat in the olive oil in your pan. Once the garlic starts to pop, toss on your chops. Cook pork chops for a couple of minutes on each side, depending on how hot your fire is. Just make sure there's no visible pink on the sides. In the last minute or two of cooking, sprinkle rosemary over all. Once meat is thoroughly cooked, plate them and sprinkle with parmesan.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:37 pm
its not really a recipe, but it is really good if you roast pork and beef avor the fire, the wrap potatoes in tin foil the set them below the meat and it tastes, soooo good!  

sillybillychoochoo

sillybillychoochoo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:39 pm
KonstantinJ

melt a whole stick of butter in a saucepan, cut up about a pint of mushrooms and put it in the pan, simmer for several minutes(it doesn't really matter how long), mix in several teaspoons of sour cream, take off heat and serve

i've never actually been to a feast...or even an event for that matter. Sad, i know, but that will change very soon hopefully XD
i hope you get to an event soon, it is really fun!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:45 pm
skatingrox360
KonstantinJ

i hope you get to an event soon, it is really fun!

i most definitely WILL get to an event soon...there's a war between the barony where i grew up and the one where i go to school...heh...i'm still trying to decide whereupon to lay my loyalties sweatdrop  

KonstantinJ

1,250 Points
  • Piepitcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Heckler 50

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:02 pm
ooh ooh! I experimented at Dub Dub this weekend and everyone loved it, so I'll share.

1 bag frozen veggies of your choice (I went with a stir fry mix)
1 pouch onion soup mix
lemon pepper (a sprinkling, to taste)
olive oil (about a tablespoon or two)

toss all ingredients in tin foil, and set on the grill over a low heat spot of the fire. Let it sit till you hear it sizzle. When you think it might be ready, check to see if the veggies are soft and brown. If they are, congrats, you have yummy carmelized veggies!

... sure, again not period, but it's a quick fix over the fire, and it was definately a crowd pleaser when I tried it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:21 pm
Llelwyn
I'll post a recipe for sekanjabin in a day or two, but...

Savory Toasted Cheese:

Combine brie, cream cheese, and butter. Melt on stove top. Serve warm with bread.

YAY! STC
at the meeting we were joking by saying that we could open a resterraunt based on stc  

dkabyssaldragon

ShadowDruid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:23 am
I feast item I like is roast lamb, but not everyone likes lamb.  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff