Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tamora Pierce - The Fan Guild

Back to Guilds

The first and official guild on Gaia dedicated to all things Tamora Pierce 

Tags: Tamora Pierce, Role-playing, Fan fiction, Discussions, Contests/Raffles. 

Reply Tamora Pierce - The Official Fan Guild
Other Recommended Books Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

anneadeline

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:07 pm
I was wondering if everyone could post other books they recommend. Like fantasy, sci-fi or anything else.
Any other books that have the same feel?

One book I recommend is The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It is very, VERY long though, and will take a while to read. (Also, hard to transport sweatdrop )  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:19 am
I thought about making a thread like this, but I guess you've beaten me to it. xp

I'd recommend the Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede and the Squire's Tales series by Gerald Morris.

Ethereal Dream

catz_rocks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:00 pm
Narnia! And Eragon is ok, I guess.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:10 pm
I guess that would be books with strong female characters. Let's see:

The Belgariad and Malloreon books by David Eddings are good. They don't feature a female as the main character, but all the women in the stories kick butt, and frequently run circles around the men.

Oh, and Anne Bishop's Tir Alainn Trilogy. That features women in a big way.

Sileny

TheBlackDragon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:31 pm
I've read the Mists of Avalon by Bradley. Very good book.

One of my favorite series is Otherland by Tad Williams. They're about a group of crazy old men who find a way to live forever in virtual reality. Very strange but a very realistic futuristic world. Williams incorporates a lot of myths and legends and fantasy into the sci-fi. It's a great blend I definitely recommed. domokun  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:04 pm
I assume everyone's read Harry Potter, so I won't bother resommending it. But Ella Encanted is really good, and so is Artemis Fowl.  

x.X.Innocent Passion.X.x

Ethereal Dream

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:45 pm
rahimeh98
I assume everyone's read Harry Potter, so I won't bother resommending it. But Ella Enchanted is really good, and so is Artemis Fowl.

I've read both of those. 3nodding I'm currently reading Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennan (at least I think that's his name), which has a slightly Artemis Fowl-type feel at parts.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:51 pm
Well, I agree with The Mists of Avalon. I also recommend the Lost Years of Merlin series by T.A. Barron, The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinnley, anything by Anne McCaffrey, the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb, Singer of All Songs by Kate Constable, The Dark Is Rising (and its sequels) by Susan Cooper, A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin, Dealing With Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede, Enchantress From the Stars by Sylvia Engdahl, Dune by Frank Herbert, and Sabriel by Garth Nix. I could keep going but I think this is enough.  

Moonprincess202

anneadeline

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:11 pm
Moonprincess202
Enchantress From the Stars by Sylvia Engdahl

Oh, I started that book a while ago. I was really enjoying it, but school started and I had to stop XP

Another one I recommend is 'The Naming' by Alison Croggon. It has magic (they are called bards), a girl as the main character, but not so much fighting. Only the first book is out, but the next one is coming out in August.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:50 am
Ethereal Dream
rahimeh98
I assume everyone's read Harry Potter, so I won't bother resommending it. But Ella Enchanted is really good, and so is Artemis Fowl.

I've read both of those. 3nodding I'm currently reading Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennan (at least I think that's his name), which has a slightly Artemis Fowl-type feel at parts.

Faerie Wars is a pretty good book. I own the sequel, the Purple Emperor. It was funny, I was thinking of recommending it here. But...yeah, I've not read Artemis Fowl. SO I wouldn't know.  

catz_rocks

Ethereal Dream

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:04 am
catz_rocks
Ethereal Dream
rahimeh98

Faerie Wars is a pretty good book. I own the sequel, the Purple Emperor. It was funny, I was thinking of recommending it here. But...yeah, I've not read Artemis Fowl. SO I wouldn't know.

I didn't know the sequel was out already. I'll have to look for that next time I'm at the library.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:59 pm
West mark, The kestrel and Begger Queen
by Lloyd Alexander
and any by MERCEDES LACKEY  

dawnee

tecche

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:09 pm
I would like to recommend the Young Wizards series by Diane Duane. The first one is called, So You Want To Be a Wizard?. It's set in modern times, but the magic system/rules is/are really interesting. It's a great series all on its own.

Also, the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. In order, they are: The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass.

These series are two of my all time favorites. Pullman's trilogy has also appealed to three different generations, and a wide range of people who like different genres.

I haven't yet had the chance to corrupt ::cough:: I mean introduce my family to Diane Duane. Though I have mentioned it to my grandma.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:21 pm
tecche
I would like to recommend the Young Wizards series by Diane Duane. The first one is called, So You Want To Be a Wizard?. It's set in modern times, but the magic system/rules is/are really interesting. It's a great series all on its own.

I used to like those books. I kind of grew out of them though.  

Moonprincess202

tecche

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:27 pm
Moonprincess202
tecche

I used to like those books. I kind of grew out of them though.

Where did you stop? There's eight out now. I thought the eighth one in particularly awesome. Although I don't think it would be quite as awesome if you didn't have the background of the preceding seven books.  
Tamora Pierce - The Official Fan Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff