Submit

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:18 pm
we all have those certain fleas that normal flea meds wont kill, how do you get rid of them?

I need to be ultra paranoid because reign is allergic and ive been having an infestation so I need some ideas, hubby is allergic to citrus so I cant use anything with citrus. right now im bathing every animal every week and going over them with a flea comb.

found one on fluffers that was fatter than it was wide

and I have no idea if my father in law is treating his cat or not but im going to bet not, but I have no control over that since he never lets his cat leave his room and instead just lets his cat rip up my carpet and door in my house. I have a little bit of pent up rage needless to say  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:50 pm
The vet gave me 3 months worth of doses of Revolution for my kitties, and I haven't seen any fleas since. I now use advantage as a preventative.

Try Diatomaceous Earth, food grade! I used it for roaches in Texas, and I never saw them the rest of the time I lived there.

Sorry about your father in law. sad That really sucks!

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:12 am
Celestial Fireflies
The vet gave me 3 months worth of doses of Revolution for my kitties, and I haven't seen any fleas since. I now use advantage as a preventative.

Try Diatomaceous Earth, food grade! I used it for roaches in Texas, and I never saw them the rest of the time I lived there.

Sorry about your father in law. sad That really sucks!

I may ask about other flea meds to try, I usually have no problems with what I use but this summer they are being stubborn

ive been trying to find diatomaceous earth, im just having a little trouble finding it, but everyone ive talked to has recommended it.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:40 pm
You need to vacuum every soft surface of your house multiple times a day. Empty the vacuum directly outside.

You need to wash everything soft in the house that can be washed in the washing machine.

Go over every pet with a flea comb. Make sure to get between their toes.

Diatomaceous earth should be available at the hardware store.

If you can afford to, keep the house very cold. At night, turn on lamps, spotlighting flea traps (a bowl of water with a couple drops of dawn dish soap).

Good luck.  

Latrans

Devoted Inquisitor

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:07 am
Latrans
You need to vacuum every soft surface of your house multiple times a day. Empty the vacuum directly outside.

You need to wash everything soft in the house that can be washed in the washing machine.

Go over every pet with a flea comb. Make sure to get between their toes.

Diatomaceous earth should be available at the hardware store.

If you can afford to, keep the house very cold. At night, turn on lamps, spotlighting flea traps (a bowl of water with a couple drops of dawn dish soap).

Good luck.

thanks. I had them nearly all the way gone last week before leaving for vacation. but sadly on vacation everyone kept finding fleas on their dogs so I guess they must have been living outside near the house we were staying at or something. im having no luck. im pretty sure stowrm didn't bring them to the house since she had been free of them and the eggs for a couple days before leaving and I bathed her right before we left just in case. I had been going over her with the flea comb every chance I had

I don't think I can keep the house too cold because of cost issues, otherwise I would have it set low all the time because of the freaking humidity. 75 is as low as I want to set it during the summer  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:50 am
Two words: Diatomacious Earth  

Ria_The_Wolf12

Eloquent Shapeshifter

13,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:33 pm
Ria_The_Wolf12

im trying to find it but no one sells it in my area anymore. I did find some on amazon but a lot of the reviews said not to use it inside so that makes me worry a bit  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:30 pm
Shanna66
Ria_The_Wolf12

im trying to find it but no one sells it in my area anymore. I did find some on amazon but a lot of the reviews said not to use it inside so that makes me worry a bit

That's because it's a mess to clean up. It has the consistency of flour, so you should rub your dogs/cats down outside. It's made from the shells of little dead organisms that collect on the bottom of the ocean (so basically little bitty seashells!) that are ground up. You rub them on your pet vigorously and they're tiny enough that they pretty much act as tiny blades and slice open the fleas exoskeleton so that they dry out and die, but are so tiny that they don't harm you or your pet in the least! Just don't get it up their noses or in their eyes, I don't think that'd be exactly pleasant. You can use it in the house too like those powder carpet fresheners and they'll kill the fleas there, just be careful and don't get it all over your furniture and junk.  

Ria_The_Wolf12

Eloquent Shapeshifter

13,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200

Akari_32

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:24 am
We've been having the same issue with super-fleas. Nothing kills them, just slightly slows them down, until the new generations adapt to the whatever it is, and come back with a vengeance. We've used:

-frontline
-frontline plus
-advantage
-advantage II
-Activyl (sp? It's a new alcohol based product that worked very well for about 2 weeks, then nothing...)
-Sentry (the cheapest one- $10 for 4 month)
-Adams (works for tr big dogs, but because our smallest is so close to the ground he gets covered in fleas when he's out side and once they are on, they don't care!)

And a few others I can't think of. The only one that's worked so far is Trifexis. It's a three in one (fleas/ticks, heart worm, and round worm), and it's $20 for a one month pill. Saves money on heart guard too.

I also spray with some Sergents stuffs that prevents the larval stage of fleas from hatching, and wash all bedding weekly. And while we get the populations down, Bentley (little mister flea magnet) also wears a flea collar that prevents the larval stage from hatching (Adams brand). And for a shampoo, the $15 a bottle Adams is AWESOME for killing any that are on them right away. It also, ime, keeps the fleas slightly at bay for about 3 days. Probably has to do with either the smell, or any left over residue.

There are plenty of home remedies, too. Something about lemon juice, and a few other things in a spray bottle, than can be sprayed on the animal, and of course of bedding and carpets and such.

A little side note for some extra help if it's really needed-- if your dog wears a fabric collar, buy some OFF Deep Woods bug spray, and lay their collar out (I'd reccomend out side on concrete) and give it a little covering, and let it completely dry before putting the collar back on. It repells all kinds of biting nasties (mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, flies, gnats, ect), and is good in a pinch (so long as you don't have a collar chewer).  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:33 am
I had to buy diotomatious earth off of amazon and put a little on all pet beds and around the doors and a tiny bit on both cats and the dog. well let me tell you guys that the little ******** are GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found one on fluffers yesterday but that's it. ive been checking everyone every single day with the flea comb and besides for that one yesterday I haven't found any at all since putting that stuff on everyone  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:16 pm
Awesome! You need to keep applying it for a while, so that any eggs or larva can't devlope at all.

Out of curiosity, how much did it cost you? I've been considering it for while, but I haven't found any localy.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:01 pm
Akari_32
Awesome! You need to keep applying it for a while, so that any eggs or larva can't devlope at all.

Out of curiosity, how much did it cost you? I've been considering it for while, but I haven't found any localy.

this is the one i got

I only had to use a couple sprinkles, there is still a ton left in the container. this stuff is as light as a feather so 12oz is really a lot, I cant see myself finishing it off anytime soon

ill probably put another dose on the animals after I give them all baths just to keep reign safe.  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Akari_32

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:35 am
I was expecting this stuff to cost an arm and a leg! That's not bad at all, especially how describe it being "light." We've only got two rooms carpeted, and have leather furniture (other than the beds, obviously). This will be my next online purchase, I think.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:53 pm
Shanna66
I had to buy diotomatious earth off of amazon and put a little on all pet beds and around the doors and a tiny bit on both cats and the dog. well let me tell you guys that the little ******** are GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found one on fluffers yesterday but that's it. ive been checking everyone every single day with the flea comb and besides for that one yesterday I haven't found any at all since putting that stuff on everyone

Just be careful using DE, I've read horror stories of dogs having respiratory problems from breathing it in, be sure to use it sparingly, and keep away from their nose, mouth, and eyes. I need to start using it but I've been wary because someone I know almost lost their dog from using it orally, she fed her dog two tablespoons as recommended by a petsmart employee, was 4x the correct dosage for her boxer, ugh.  

Wickefisto

Shameless Pyromaniac

14,250 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Seasoned Warrior 250

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:04 pm
Define "normal flea meds"

Please keep in mind anything over the counter can be very toxic. With the exception of DT earth. I don't personally know anyone whose used it. So I can't recommend it.

Revolution is my personal favorite. Dog & Cat.Of the hundreds of pets I've seen, none treated with revolution have ever had flea issues. Advantage is a pesticide, much safer than other pesticides but...still a pesticide, so I just don't touch that stuff. Be advised advanTIX is HIGHLY toxic to cats. Don't treat a dog with this if there are cats in the house.

Revolution is NOT an adulticide, so it will not give you instant results. You should continue to vaccuum everything but it will sterilize the fleas so it WILL stop the problem. If you want instant results you can get capstar but it doesn't sterilize so you would still need the revolution. Revolution also treats intestinal parasites and heartworm and to some degree prevents certain ticks. So it's an all around great product. I give Cowboy monthly rev for like, 8 months of the year. My vet recommends 12, but 6 being the minimum (heartworm season) I think 8 is pretty good.

Also depending on your vet, you can get a box of the most concentrated (i.e for big dogs) and calculate the dosage needed for each pet. This would save you lots of money. I actually get the high concentration and use half a tube on Cowboy so it lasts me all year at the price of 6 months  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff