Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Legend of the Five Rings - Time for War Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:11 am
Hi guys! I'm trying to get back into the swing of things slowly but surely - I haven't found employment yet so much of my time is still spent on the job hunt. My grandmother seems to be doing better, though.

Anywho, to keep those interested in Legend of the Five Rings - a samurai game set in the Emerald Empire of Rokugan, I'm thinking of starting a second game - this one is much more action packed.

Now, I'm just trying to find how many people will be interested in this thing, beyond players in the current game (active or waiting). This will be using the 3rd Edition Revised rule set.

I will not be informing anyone about WHEN the time period is going to be, but it will focus on a group of samurai struggling to succeed - and survive - during a large wartime scenario. It will be taking place AFTER the Second Day of Thunder (so the Mantis Clan will be a Major Clan). That's all you're going to get.

You will be starting at a higher rank. I am giving 80 experience points in addition to the base 45 character points. This should definitely put you into Rank 2, with a good headway towards getting to Rank 3.

There will be the following House Rule for advancement, should you earn enough insight to improve your school rank: You will be able to teach yourself the next rank of your school with the Instruction skill; however, the TN is increased by 10 - void cannot be spent on this roll. You may only attempt to make this roll once per thread, and only during downtime (requiring a number of days = to your new School Rank). The downtime is used up regardless on success or failure of the roll.

Alternatively, there is no restriction to taking Ronin schools instead of School Ranks, as per the standard rules concerning Ronin schools.

Courtiers aren't restricted in this game - I expect it to be 90% combat, but that still leaves 10%. If you play a Courtier, you should be able to defend yourself (after all, anyone can learn Weapon skills). Consider this a 'hard mode' character, if you will.

I think there's enough interest from my Jade Legacy players where this will happen regardless. But let's see if we can recruit a few more people! You're gonna need it.

Here is a nice template if you want it.

Also, a diverse spread of Clans would be preferable, but not mandatory.

EDIT: There are rules down below for extra starting money.

EDIT: You may not play a relative to any L5R character in any game played/run by members of this guild.

--------------------

Mongooseh - Kuni Tsuneo
Plainsfox - Matsu Harumoro
xX_Terei_Xx - Shou
Psychofish - Moto Rais
Callsigncaboose - Bayushi Juri
Paidi tou Selini - Tsuruchi Hana
BegrudginglyGood - Utaku Ayano
WhimsicalXellos - Asako Ginjou  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:28 am
I'm curious... Hold me a spot till I've read the core rules, then I'll tell you if I'm still in.  

DeathAdams

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:55 am
Callsigncaboose
I'm curious... Hold me a spot till I've read the core rules, then I'll tell you if I'm still in.

There's no "spots". As many players are allowed in that sign up. Either you're in or you're out.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:12 am
Ah.....  

DeathAdams

xX_Terei_Xx

Questionable Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:17 am
I've already started my little Sparrow boy~

.u. For some reason, I keep thinking of the Sparrow Clan in Okami....  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:47 am
Unless things change, we have the following:

A Sparrow Clan Bushi (minor clan)
A Badger Clan Shugenja (minor clan, trained by major clan)
I think a Kuni Shugenja (Crab clan)
A Tsuruchi Bushi (Mantis clan)

I think there's another Mantis too?  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:11 pm
http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?page=1&t=23346233#344003343

Question: Can I nab myself some heavy armour?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:39 pm
I'm going to play a Tortise Clan (Katsuga Smuggler) Courtier  

DeathAdams

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:01 pm
Callsigncaboose
I'm going to play a Tortise Clan (Katsuga Smuggler) Courtier

What would a Kasuga be doing in a mainland war (which this will be taking place in)? They normally deal with gaijin cultures across the sea.

xX_Terei_Xx
I've already started my little Sparrow boy~

.u. For some reason, I keep thinking of the Sparrow Clan in Okami....

What would a Suzume have at stake that would involve him in such a large-scale war? Normally they are at home tending to their own lands. (Note: This is the minor clan I've seen so far most likely to pass)

Plainsfox

Badger are located pretty far away, guarding the northern borders of the Empire. What are the circumstances that would get him trained by the Scorpion of all clans, and why would he even be so far away from his own lands in the first place?

--------------------

I'm not forbidding any of these, but for all minor clan samurai, I'm going to ask for good reasons why they are involved.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:16 pm
Mongooseh

Figuring Kuni lived and died around/over 1100 years ago, no. Once you give yourself a proper name for someone living in the 12th century, then maybe.

As far as advanced gear goes, everyone can have a bonus 20 koku that MUST be spent on items (anything unspent is lost). You may give up a "any weapon" to increase this total by 10 koku. "Any peasant weapon" can only be traded in for 1 koku towards this total.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

DeathAdams

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:22 pm
Normally the Kasuga are involved in the secret trade with the gaijin and protecting the former capital Otosan Lichi, the Tortise clan has also acted as the Emmisary for several of the Minor clans, including the conglomerate clans of the Mantis before they were accepted as a Major Clan. They also have a strong tie to the Imperial Court as well. So in this case, a Kasuga smuggler could easily be a messenger for the Imperial court, or for the Mantis Clan, or as a messenger for any of the minor clans who have men in the field. This would have my character constantly in and out of the battlefield. Plus, as a Kasuga, they always place their duty to the Clan and Emperor before they put Honor, so he could easily work as the underworld/Low Skill whore of the group.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:29 pm
Mongooseh

I only have you at 116 spent CP/XP.

TRAITS = 53 points (after Blessing)
SKILLS = 35 points
ADVANTAGES = 28 (!!)
DISADVANTAGES = -5
Spells = 5 (Innate)

Also, you realize you can learn Mastery Level 2 earth spells at starting rank 1, and Mastery Level 3 spells at rank 2, right?  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:30 pm
Callsigncaboose
Normally the Kasuga are involved in the secret trade with the gaijin and protecting the former capital Otosan Lichi, the Tortise clan has also acted as the Emmisary for several of the Minor clans, including the conglomerate clans of the Mantis before they were accepted as a Major Clan. They also have a strong tie to the Imperial Court as well. So in this case, a Kasuga smuggler could easily be a messenger for the Imperial court, or for the Mantis Clan, or as a messenger for any of the minor clans who have men in the field. This would have my character constantly in and out of the battlefield. Plus, as a Kasuga, they always place their duty to the Clan and Emperor before they put Honor, so he could easily work as the underworld/Low Skill whore of the group.

Reason accepted.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:49 pm
Rain Yupa
Mongooseh

SKILLS = 35 points
ADVANTAGES = 28 (!!)
DISADVANTAGES = -5
Spells = 5 (Innate)

Also, you realize you can learn Mastery Level 2 earth spells at starting rank 1, and Mastery Level 3 spells at rank 2, right?

I read the spells and it said you could only learn spells from the same mastery level as your rank.

And sweet gets me more skills. Also if the spells innate part includes jade strike innate kuni get it free.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:52 pm
Mongooseh
Rain Yupa
Mongooseh

SKILLS = 35 points
ADVANTAGES = 28 (!!)
DISADVANTAGES = -5
Spells = 5 (Innate)

I read the spells and it said you could only learn spells from the same mastery level as your rank.

And sweet gets me more skills. Also if the spells innate part includes jade strike innate kuni get it free.

Innate = Tetsubo of Earth (1), Armour of Earth (2), Earth Becomes Sky (2).

Read the part about Affinity/Deficiency on page 237. The rough summary is that you count as a Shugenja Rank+1 for your Affinity, Shugenja Rank-1 for your Deficiency, and Shugenja Rank for everything else.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff