Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Question: that probably will not be answered Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:08 am
I like to make home brewed classes and such in my spare time, That being said... I am currently working on one that is an combat prestige class for pathfinder. The idea is based off a class from another game... jumping to the point.

Would you think having to buy/make something expensive(that keeps getting more expensive) each level, a viable limitation to a powerful class? That without this item, the class is almost useless.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:19 pm
Nope. If a class is too powerful, a class is too powerful. Making them buy an item each level is really more of a nuisance than a balancing-mechanism. In the end, the character will sort out the little nit-picking details and be on their way.

Imagine you have a party that consists of a fighter, a mage, a ranger, and a Godzilla. Godzilla is a beast of a juggernaut, and he really carries the team through each adventure, but he needs to be fed before each adventure. Do you think that the fighter, mage, and ranger are going to wander off, or stick around and get Godzilla a corndog?  

KarateShen

Gabriel Lord of Flame

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:33 pm
What ^ said. That and play a class that is utterly useless without a certain item seems like a waste of time from a players perspective. Sure a fighter without a weapon or a wizard without their book is crippled but not useless. The fighter can still be a shield, and the wizard probably has some spells left over from yesterday.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:47 pm
Leveling is the cost of upkeep man. ^ they got the rest  

The Shade of Casin

Gracious Conversationalist

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:05 pm
Damn.... I guess then it might be a good idea just to scrap the idea...  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:13 pm
what do you have so far. Lay it all out. Maybe there is a way to tweak it to not be broke.  

The Shade of Casin

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:27 pm
My plan was to make it a level 10 prestige class, or change it to a 20 base class It was at the moment not much than thoughts, so forgive the names and ?? nothing was placed in stone yet... The thought was based off the idea of the Juicer from Rifts, a junkie super warrior if you will.

Hp: D?
BAB: High
Saves: Fort and Reflex

1 The price and the curse, Fast movement, Focused + 4
2 Liquid power
3 Bonus Feat,
4 Liquid power

Price and Curse: The source of the ?? are known as Chem, A highly potent and unstable magical potion that has yet to receive a magical charge. The ?? needs to drink one once every level, or lose the effects of Focused and Liquid power. he also is confused until he gains a number of chems equal to his level .

Fast movement: Same as the Barbarian's level one ability

Focused state: The ?? draws on the magical energy now stored in his body, mixed with his own adrenaline he learns to focus these two powerful forces to grant him a + 4 to a physical stat for a brief time 4 + Constitution Modifier per day (this isn't boosted if Constitution is the stat that gains the bonus). The physical stat must be chosen at the start of the day, and can't be changed until the ?? takes an 8 hour rest.

Liquid power: The ?? learns to draw even more magical power from the chem dose. Once chosen these can't be changed, but is up to the ??, at the the of reassigning the bonus, if it is being used at the same time.

Quote:

Split: The ?? may now split his bonus among 2 physical stats, becoming a +2 to two stats instead of a +4

Rapid healing: While focused gains fast healing 1, this can be taken more than once

Focused Magic: Pick a spell from the Sorcerer/wizard's list, And the ?? can cast it once a day in his focused state as a spell-like ability. Doing so subtracts a number of rounds he can spend in the focused state equal to the spell level.

Focus Change: At the cost of 2 rounds per one, the ?? may change the bonus physical stat affected by his Focused state. Doing so requires a full round action. And once he leaves this focused State, the physical score changes back and he suffers fatigue for a number of round he spent in his Focused state
(was still working on these)

Bonus Feat: The ?? may take a fighter feat as a bonus feat  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:36 pm
Looks like your trying to make an Alchemist Awesome.  

The Shade of Casin

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:32 pm
Roilvn Whiro

That is one of the the core classes I took from, because Juicers are steriod/enhancer junkies...so I guess yea.. a combat version of alchemist lol  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:36 pm
Southern Cross Nemesis
Roilvn Whiro

That is one of the the core classes I took from, because Juicers are steriod/enhancer junkies...so I guess yea.. a combat version of alchemist lol
Rather than making it a gold feeding unit. Make it so that he is a weak class normally but he can BECOME a rager. So he takes it, and the Liquid powers would be on the level or rage powers. Make it so that the item cost gold to make (something low, its a daily thing) but if you do not use it you could save it. I would say have a off combat class (ranger or Mage) and when he drinks the liquid, he would become an Barb. Giving the bonus health and the like.  

The Shade of Casin

9,775 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:47 pm
Roilvn Whiro
Southern Cross Nemesis
Roilvn Whiro

Rather than making it a gold feeding unit. Make it so that he is a weak class normally but he can BECOME a rager. So he takes it, and the Liquid powers would be on the level or rage powers. Make it so that the item cost gold to make (something low, its a daily thing) but if you do not use it you could save it. I would say have a off combat class (ranger or Mage) and when he drinks the liquid, he would become an Barb. Giving the bonus health and the like.

What something like taking the alchemist's mutagen and making it a rage potion?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:17 pm
Southern Cross Nemesis
Roilvn Whiro
Southern Cross Nemesis
Roilvn Whiro

What something like taking the alchemist's mutagen and making it a rage potion?
I like this tweaked version. Maybe they could be able to turn the effects of normal potions they drink up to 11 or something.

An example might be cure light wound potions healing +5 more hp.  

Gabriel Lord of Flame

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:28 pm
Can someone do me one really big favor, I don't really mind if I have to name it Juicer... but if you don't like that name, give me one... ?? is getting old quickly  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:30 pm
Magic/Potion Addict?

Oh new idea(yea you gave me inspiration now I'm going to be thinking about this for a while): They could choose a potion to be "Hooked" on and it provides benefits that are even better. Like being hooked on a Haste potion and they drink it they get Dex bonuses or an increased base land speed.  

Gabriel Lord of Flame

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:54 pm
purest_heart
Magic/Potion Addict?

Oh new idea(yea you gave me inspiration now I'm going to be thinking about this for a while): They could choose a potion to be "Hooked" on and it provides benefits that are even better. Like being hooked on a Haste potion and they drink it they get Dex bonuses or an increased base land speed.

I can work with that... though can you give me 2 more? This would give me 10 options for the player to work with.

The ones I have right now..
Chem (normal power blah)
The six stat boosting spells (bear's endurance, cat's grace... blah blah blah)
Haste  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces