Submit

Bassios

6,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:53 am
User Image
So, now that I've got time to actually do the things I enjoy doing (Yeah, screw you, mentally abusive ex-girlfriend!), I've started playing Magic: The Gathering a lot.

Talking to a few members of the ATG, I've realised that it'd be cool to get some sort of M:TG League going for us. In that vein, how do people feel about starting the first ATG Magic: The Gathering league?

Now, don't worry, I've got it all figured out. Most of us are on Google+ these days (If you're not, shame on you, it's crucial to this whole concept!), and Google+ Hangouts support 9 people on webcam. So, if we aim our webcams at a table surface, we can play ourselves a few games of Magic!

What do you all think? :3 Also, I believe you can join in the hangout without going on webcam so if you just want to watch, that should be cool. biggrin
User Image

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:40 am
I think it's a great idea.
Unfortunately I lack the webcam to execute it, which is a shame because I can never find people to play with around here.  

Erverain

Enduring Loiterer

24,975 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100

Celestial Burden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:53 pm
I am so in. This is great. Instead og webcams, though, rather as an alternative I guess, there is always Cockatrice. I haven't used it yet, but it looks like it might work.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:16 pm
User Image
I shall look into this Cockatrice. :3
User Image

Bassios

6,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200

Surazal Dloc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:48 am
That Cockatrice thing looks interesting! And I was experimenting with this webcam I bought (just a cheapy) and it's very difficult if not impossible to actually make out anything on the cards. Having a webcam convo going while we play though could still be fun smile and I'm certainly still willing to trying to play over them.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:42 am
It'll turn ya to stone! D:  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

Celestial Burden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:19 am
I played a game on it with my boyfriend the other day. It was pretty easy because we were both in the same room, so anything that was unclear we could just ask about. If we decide to use it, I'd suggest using skype or some other voice chat system.

The primary flaw I've found with it is that everything is manual, so it's easy to forget how to do things because it interrupts the normal flow of the game. For instance, I kept forgetting to move from the draw step to main phase one before I began putting my lands down and casting.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:38 pm
Heck YEA I would love to play some Magic the gathering leagues. It's been a long time since I bought any new cards, but I still have a bunch of functional decks that are tournament legal. I don't have Google+ but it would be easy enough to get running on my computer. I would have difficulties running my webcam with this because it's attatched to my laptop... so something to try and figure out. Skype would be a MUST for open communication.

I've been wanting to get my Magic on for months now ^_^  

Kusaragi

Versatile Flatterer

9,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:30 pm
Oh, man, I'm in the same boat as Kusa. I haven't played MtG in such a long time--last time I actually played-played was during the Kamigawa block--and I'm not familiar with the rules that have changed since M10.

I'd definitely do some casual play if I put the effort of re-learning.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:11 pm
I've been playing weekly standard since the prerelease event for Mirrodin Besieged. So that's like...February '11? Something like that. I'm pretty up-to-date on mechanics and newer format rules. So, if anyone has questions or anything, feel free to ask? Also, webcams don't really pick up the cards, from what I can tell. Not sure what to do about that.  

Celestial Burden

Bassios

6,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:33 am
User Image
The more I look at it, I'm tempted to just go with Cockatrice. It seems much easier than any of the other solutions out there, and webcams might just get awkward.

I'll start organising something soon, just need to get everything settled down IRL.
User Image

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:02 pm
Sounds like an awesome idea... I can't find my deck tho v.v

KityBloodstone

Feline Sweetheart

14,400 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Love Machine 150

Bassios

6,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:29 am
User Image

If you know what cards are in your deck, you can build it up in Cockatrice and use it to play online biggrin

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:53 am
Bassios

Yeah... All I remember is I had mostly fire deck...
It has been about, eh, four years? since I played.
But I do know where my die is
lol

KityBloodstone

Feline Sweetheart

14,400 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Love Machine 150

Kusaragi

Versatile Flatterer

9,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:07 pm
I just played a game of Magic with a friend across the country. Skype video call wasn't so bad, but the cards were completely illegible. We had to talk off each of the cards that we were playing. The confusions that were present weren't too bad... but numerous. It's so much fun playing again ^_^ I don't have ANY of the newest cards, but I'm familiar with the mechanics. I have all my older decks including some of them that fall on their face, but that will just add to the challenge and fun of a tournament.

So will we need to download anything to play on Cockatrice?  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff