Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Inside or Outside? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Crystal Ice23

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Does/Do your dog/dogs or cat/cats stay outside chained up or roam free.. or do they stay inside in a cage or just roam around in the house?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:20 pm
I have 4 dogs so.. the boxers usually roam around in the house unless guests and people are here. Molly, my chihuahua stays and roams around in the house but usually upstairs in a cage in the morning. Choncho, the other chihuahua stays outside on his chain because he can't be trusted roaming around in the house or outside. (Choncho comes in and sleeps in his cage at night)  

Crystal Ice23

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:04 pm
We keep all our cats and my Pom inside. The dog is the only one who really gets to go out into the back yard and that's only when we're out there with him. Even then, he has to be watched so closely because one, he can fall into the pool and while he knows how to swim he doesn't always know where the steps are to get out. Two, there are holes in the fence he can squeeze under/through. Three, lots of people keep their cats outside in my area and we also have large birds (big enough to attack or even pick up my dog) and raccoons, possums and coyotes, all of which are big enough to attack my Pom.

To me, I don't see a point in keeping a dog outside unless you spend a lot of time outside. Dogs love being near their owners. It makes sense to allow the dog to spend most of it's time with you. I can't even leave to go to the bathroom (we need to keep all the doors in our house shut because my two year old can't be trusted with the cats nor can they be trusted with him, some of them attack some of the older cats that stay in one room and because I have a fish tank in my room) without my dog literally gnawing on my bedroom door to get to me sweatdrop

I didn't used to be against keeping dogs outside until I lived in Milwaukee and our neighbor kept their german shepard in a small, contained area out side all day, all year. That's when I became really against it.

I understand you not being able to trust one of your dogs to roam about the house though... whenever I leave we always leave Nanaki (the pompooch, as we call him) in our room to do as he wants. Our bedroom is connected to a "sunroom" so he has lots of space. We always come home to him having destroyed something v.v Generally if we're making a "food run" after the kid goes to bed we just take the dog with us.

I'm sure your dog has all the necessities though to stay outside but chaining up can be dangerous if not supervised, especially depending on where you live. Too hot/too cold/wild animals, etc are all very real dangers to an animal that can only go so far. I'd be more worried about someone stealing him :< That terrifies me so much I rarely let Nanaki out of my sight but he's my fur baby...and pretty spoiled lol  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:47 pm
All my cats have been strictly indoors cats. When I had a dog, we kept her indoors and she was let outside on a chain lead. We would let her run loose in the yard when playing ball with her.  

Eileen50

Distinct Trainer

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:15 am
all my animals spend most of their time inside. the cats go out on leahses and the dog just follows me wherever i go. if im going to just sit on the front porch and read then ill have her on a leahs but if im able to pay attention to her then i dont bother with the leash  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:38 am
Kithy Kitty
We keep all our cats and my Pom inside. The dog is the only one who really gets to go out into the back yard and that's only when we're out there with him. Even then, he has to be watched so closely because one, he can fall into the pool and while he knows how to swim he doesn't always know where the steps are to get out. Two, there are holes in the fence he can squeeze under/through. Three, lots of people keep their cats outside in my area and we also have large birds (big enough to attack or even pick up my dog) and raccoons, possums and coyotes, all of which are big enough to attack my Pom.

To me, I don't see a point in keeping a dog outside unless you spend a lot of time outside. Dogs love being near their owners. It makes sense to allow the dog to spend most of it's time with you. I can't even leave to go to the bathroom (we need to keep all the doors in our house shut because my two year old can't be trusted with the cats nor can they be trusted with him, some of them attack some of the older cats that stay in one room and because I have a fish tank in my room) without my dog literally gnawing on my bedroom door to get to me sweatdrop

I didn't used to be against keeping dogs outside until I lived in Milwaukee and our neighbor kept their german shepard in a small, contained area out side all day, all year. That's when I became really against it.

I understand you not being able to trust one of your dogs to roam about the house though... whenever I leave we always leave Nanaki (the pompooch, as we call him) in our room to do as he wants. Our bedroom is connected to a "sunroom" so he has lots of space. We always come home to him having destroyed something v.v Generally if we're making a "food run" after the kid goes to bed we just take the dog with us.

I'm sure your dog has all the necessities though to stay outside but chaining up can be dangerous if not supervised, especially depending on where you live. Too hot/too cold/wild animals, etc are all very real dangers to an animal that can only go so far. I'd be more worried about someone stealing him :< That terrifies me so much I rarely let Nanaki out of my sight but he's my fur baby...and pretty spoiled lol

Well, we only have one neighbor. We can trust her. He's never gotten stolen or anything. We do sometimes have wolves but if we see one, we take him inside. Thanks for your concern.  

Crystal Ice23

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:12 pm
cєℓєsтιαℓ ғιʀєғℓιєs:

My family always had a fenced yard, and my mother smoked (well, still does), so the dog got to go out frequently. We never kept her out there unless she didn't want to come inside, in which case we let her stay & she would bark once to be let back inside (then wait a couple minutes and bark again if no one answered). I don't much like the idea of keeping dogs outside-only, but that's a personal thing.

My cats are indoor-only ALTHOUGH I am letting our youngest explore the yard on sunny days. It's fenced in, which doesn't mean escape-proof, but she's been mindful of her boundaries so far. She's got the best outside manners out of all 3, so she has the privilege there-- but it can and does get revoked if she starts acting up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:04 am
PeanutButterGirl23
the other chihuahua stays outside on his chain because he can't be trusted roaming around in the house or outside.
I feel so bad for that little chi. Chihuahuas are companion dogs. Their main drive in life is to be with their people. They are also very easy targets for predators. Even large birds of prey such as owls can pick them off.  

Krissim Klaw
Crew

Crystal Ice23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:01 am
Krissim Klaw
PeanutButterGirl23
the other chihuahua stays outside on his chain because he can't be trusted roaming around in the house or outside.
I feel so bad for that little chi. Chihuahuas are companion dogs. Their main drive in life is to be with their people. They are also very easy targets for predators. Even large birds of prey such as owls can pick them off.

Im telling you, my town is safe. No big birds, only crows, cardinals, blue jays.. robins. No large predators except for wolves which if we see one, we take him in. My mom is a babysitter and once he's been trained and stuff, he's allowed to stay in with the kids and stuff. It's not my fault. Actually, a couple of days ago, i asked my parents if Choncho could be an inside dog. But when Choncho gets to stay inside for a couple hours, every time the door opens, he runs outside and alot of people take walks where i live and he barks at them, he chases cars and birds, when people go in (i live by my church) my church, he gets in and he's not supposed to be in the church. Oh, and he barks alot but when we try to get him in, he'll run away. He barks all night long, too.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:10 am
PeanutButterGirl23
Krissim Klaw
PeanutButterGirl23

Im telling you, my town is safe. No big birds, only crows, cardinals, blue jays.. robins. No large predators except for wolves which if we see one, we take him in. My mom is a babysitter and once he's been trained and stuff, he's allowed to stay in with the kids and stuff. It's not my fault. Actually, a couple of days ago, i asked my parents if Choncho could be an inside dog. But when Choncho gets to stay inside for a couple hours, every time the door opens, he runs outside and alot of people take walks where i live and he barks at them, he chases cars and birds, when people go in (i live by my church) my church, he gets in and he's not supposed to be in the church. Oh, and he barks alot but when we try to get him in, he'll run away. He barks all night long, too.

Sounds like something that needs training. Not to be rude, but it really drives me crazy when people banish dogs outside because they can't be bothered to train bad behavior, especially a little guy like a chihuahua. And while you may think your town is "safe" there are birds of prey everywhere. Trust me. Wildlife are especially prevalent in urban areas. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. In my old hometown, just last year, a couple lost a chihuahua to a red-tailed hawk attack, which I can guarantee you that those same hawks are in your area.  

Ailinea

kage no neko

Invisible Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:39 pm
You might not see them, but yeah, birds of prey are EVERYWHERE. I was finding lots of bloody feathers around my bird feeder for a while before I finally saw the huge bird... sitting on a light pole a bit down the street, tearing feathers off... And I'm in the middle of my city. If I didn't have a bird feeder up, I wouldn't have ever even suspected!

My cats are strictly inside cats. Don't feel like dealing with the horrors of having them be outside. I've seen too many cats flat on the road...

When I get a dog, it'll be inside. It'll be a companion dog, no matter the size. It might get tied up outside on a nice day, but I'd likely be outside with it. If it's a nice day, then why not enjoy it with the dog? ;D  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:42 pm
Ailinea
PeanutButterGirl23
Krissim Klaw
PeanutButterGirl23

Sounds like something that needs training. Not to be rude, but it really drives me crazy when people banish dogs outside because they can't be bothered to train bad behavior, especially a little guy like a chihuahua. And while you may think your town is "safe" there are birds of prey everywhere. Trust me. Wildlife are especially prevalent in urban areas. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. In my old hometown, just last year, a couple lost a chihuahua to a red-tailed hawk attack, which I can guarantee you that those same hawks are in your area.
We see them so frequently where I live. I bring my pom out when we go out to our pool but I always keep an eye on him. When I see a large bird I immediately bring him inside. I feel bad for the little guy because he doesn't get much outside time but better than being torn to pieces :X Besides, fall will be here soon and it will be cooler.  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

T_Major_9389

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:59 am
My dog stays inside then we take him out on a leash for exercise and potty, than our cats stay inside but we have a window so they can sunbath in and the dog can look out it also so it works. 3nodding All of them are allowed to roam the house.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:51 pm
Ailinea
PeanutButterGirl23
Krissim Klaw
PeanutButterGirl23

Actually, no. We don't have those kind of birds. I regret making this topic. -.-" So people can judge me! Look, im having to help my madre with a garage sale, i might be moving, yeah! Im very busy and stuff and you guys aren't helping!  

Crystal Ice23

Crystal Ice23

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:52 pm
tonks36
My dog stays inside then we take him out on a leash for exercise and potty, than our cats stay inside but we have a window so they can sunbath in and the dog can look out it also so it works. 3nodding All of them are allowed to roam the house.

Thank you for not judging me!  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces