Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
Tattoo's and the Christian view Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RiverMori

Devoted Werewolf

8,475 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:25 pm
I have been wanting to get a tattoo for a long time so I went to discuss it with my parents (my dad being a pastor) to see what they thought of it. Immediately my dad tells me all the religious views that the bible says about tattoo's but I want to know what everyone else thinks.

I recently saw a video talking about this issue and the christian views about it. The bible vaguely talks about tattoo's but there is a verse that says something about no tattoo's. BUT there is a verse that also says 'no cutting of the flesh', then what about pierced ears? That is cutting of the flesh.

I don't view tattoo's as a religious satanic thing, I see it as a form of art. the tattoo's that I am wanting to get are actually a bit religious in a way: a cross with wings. One of my friends tells me that I should go and get it blessed by a priest if I do get one, but I am Christian and don't really believe in the Catholic views.

What does everyone else think?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:45 am
I've noticed that every church has a different view about tatooes. Personally, I don't see a problem with them. I think the main reasons why tatooes are warned against is because most of the time people end up regretting them and two there is the potential for infections. I think you should just listen to what your conscience says and how you feel about it. Be sure it's some thing you really want.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:48 pm
I only have one answer for you and that's with scripture.
You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD. (Leviticus 19:28 NASB)  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:53 pm
The rest of that verse is talking about for the dead. It doesn't specifically say don't tattoo yourself. Besides, this is old testament law, which we are no longer bound to, I thought?  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:02 pm
Shadows-shine
The rest of that verse is talking about for the dead. It doesn't specifically say don't tattoo yourself. Besides, this is old testament law, which we are no longer bound to, I thought?

The origins of tattoos started with pagans and they would get them during ceremonies for different things. Also a lot of the Old Testimant laws do roll over and are even used today such as self defense, how you can protect your property, if someone borrows your stuff and breaks they owe you a new one or what it is worth, ect. I really could go on. So rather you like it or not you are following a lot of Old Testiment laws. Also when Paul says we are not bound to the law he was saying we are no longer to bound by trying to get in to Heaven by obeying them. The way you put it it sounds like we can break all of them and it's fine yet scripture states all over the place that isn't the case.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:23 am
Christmas and Easter also have pagan roots, they weren't originally Christian holidays, yet we still participate in them. Just saying :/ Levticus also says that men can't shave their heads or beards, but yet lots of men do. Does that make it wrong?  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

RiverMori

Devoted Werewolf

8,475 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:46 pm
Like I said in my first post, in Levticus it says that we shall not make any cuts in our bodies, so then why do we have pierced ears? We are cutting our bodies when we get any part of ourselves pierced.

This is the video that I found that made some good points:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VNFwlzQiuc  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:21 pm
People will all have different opinions on the subject, so I shall step away from a Biblical point of view and tell you that I personally don't find anything wrong with getting a tattoo.
In fact, I personally plan on getting a few when I have the cash.

Now there are exceptions to that, I don't appreciate tattoos that have nude women, crude language, ect.

Get something meaningful<3

jesusgirl115

Dangerous Friend

8,050 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300

xxEverBluexx

6,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:16 am
1 Corinthians 6:19-20
19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

1 CORINTHIANS 3:16-17
Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

Basically, our body is God's temple. It's not ours to do anything we want to with it. So in that light, tattoos could be considered to be a sin because we're basically writing on God's walls with permanent marker. I don't know any parent who lets their kid get away with that.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:30 pm
Another thing I want to add.

JUST PRAY.
If God doesn't want you to do this then He will stop you, whether that's you not having enough money for one anymore, too sick/something comes up so you can't make your appointment anymore, ect.

Just pray and ask God to show you what to do about this. He does not wish for you to be confused and worried. Ask for understanding.

jesusgirl115

Dangerous Friend

8,050 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300

N o r m a R o s e

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:01 am
I wouldn't do it if I were you. Getting the tattoo hurts and you'll be in great pain. Especially if it will be a relatively large tattoo.

I had also heard it is a sin against God to have tattoos. Well, coming from my ex friend and their christian family in the car when the subject came up.

But if there's a point where you don't want that tattoo anymore, you'll need many many shots and injections to take it off. More pain.

Honestly, more pain then it's worth.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:40 pm
xxEverBluexx
1 Corinthians 6:19-20
19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

1 CORINTHIANS 3:16-17
Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

Basically, our body is God's temple. It's not ours to do anything we want to with it. So in that light, tattoos could be considered to be a sin because we're basically writing on God's walls with permanent marker. I don't know any parent who lets their kid get away with that.
Like graffiti. I personally am against all piercings and tattoos, even if they "glorify" God.  

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:21 pm
God is my strength... "Psalms 28:7"

This is something you should pray about. Seek as many wise mature Christians as you can to see what they say.

I myself have 3 tattoos and I previously had 9 piercings. God had me turn over my piercings to him because after much prayer I realized that I was trying to enhance my God given body... well we can't do that. God made us how he wanted us and to mar that with tattoos and piercings would be defiling His property.

...God is my joy "Psalms 96:11-13"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:55 pm
I know this thread is mainly about tattoos, but since the piercing part was brought up, is it wrong to have pierced ears then? Does it go against the Bible still?

I have my ears double pierced at the moment. (2 in each ear)

As far as tattoos go, I've always wanted religious tattoos....like actual bible verses as far as the Book name, chapter, and section. But now with Leviticus being brought to my attention, which with still being new I hadn't heard that, it's making me change my mind. I had wanted to do it for a while now and had been planning it out, but I guess with coming across this tonight, maybe it's a sign? I know with my double pierced ears I haven't worn earrings in a while so they started to close up, but wouldn't be closed, like the skin would be so thin over it I would be able to poke them through.

But yea, if piercings are against the Bible I have no problem whatsoever going back to clip-ons. Vintage clip-ons are nice.  

i r i d e s s i c a n c e

Blessed Friend

Aporeia

Shameless Mystic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:40 pm
emorhconom esor
I only have one answer for you and that's with scripture.
You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD. (Leviticus 19:28 NASB)
The "making cuts on your body for the dead" refers to necromancy, a form of divinination trying to tell the future by speaking to ghosts. Tattoos, in context, were also meant for similar magic. Tattoos today that people get have literally nothing to do with what the bible is describing.

Also, if you're going to use leviticus, you might as well also tell everyone to stay away from pork, shellfish, women on their periods, stone your children to death for disobeying you, and skim over the fact these laws were meant for the Jews.  
Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff