Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
Why Bash Catholics? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nikolai The Majestic

Shirtless Capitalist

8,675 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:54 pm
Im not here trying to say Im better then you, Im trying to clear some things up. We are all brothers and sisters in christ, we should be united in the world not hating each other.

The Bible you use to pull quotes to bash the Church was put together by Councils of Catholic leaders. It doesn't matter If its King James or New American Standard Its Derived from the Books the catholics put together.

By the Council of Nicaea in 325, the orthodox New Testament was more or less agreed upon, but the Eastern Churches (the future Eastern Orthodox Churches) gradually developed a different canon from that adopted by the Western Church (later the Roman Catholic Church).

I Was baptized and Confirmed into the Eastern Orthodox but I attend Roman Catholic mass as well. Im not here to convert you, but If you have an issue with the way catholic are feel free to share and Ill clear the water. I find most of the hatred towards the Church is based on False or Lack knowledge.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:17 pm
Catholics get it pretty rough....but it's not just them...its all of us...it's a war on religion....and most of it is centered on Christianity....for obvious reasons (( even says in the bible that people will persecute us)) however.....Catholics well.....have a very colorful past....the crusades and all....it's not right to blame them...but a combination of mankind's arrogance and the events that transpired during the dark ages left a rather.......negative mark on the Catholic faith. And seeing it has a defined leader and so much power.....it is easy to take aim at
Just those few things have made it as targeted as it is today
There is more I am sure but that is a start  

kesuke uchiha

Blessed Genius

10,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:28 pm
Nn. Well, I think that part of it is that some people think the Catholic focus on Saints is close to having Idols or even outright Polytheism. Others want to have a close relationship with God, and not have to go through someone else. Others think the idea of a central religious authority that answers all questions is a little too overbearing, since they don't believe the Church to be infallible, and therefore even the Pope could potentially be wrong (Catholics, of course, may disagree). And still other people think there should be less of an emphasis on enormous cathedrals and outrageously rich interiors, and more focus on giving to others and helping them out.

And then there's the people who think that Catholic attitudes over the past 1900-ish years are what lead to the Holocaust, of course. See the book "Constantine's Sword" for more on that.

*Shrugs*

Me, I think Catholics are absolutely Christian, just... liable to get some of the details wrong. Of course, I say the same thing about the church I attend, so yeah. I wouldn't say that I particularly dislike Catholics or anything, but I do think that some policies and traditions have caused more harm than good, and I'd like to see those changed. Just as, y'know, a human being who prefers results with the highest level of "good".  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:31 pm
kesuke uchiha
Catholics get it pretty rough....but it's not just them...its all of us...it's a war on religion....and most of it is centered on Christianity....for obvious reasons (( even says in the bible that people will persecute us)) however.....Catholics well.....have a very colorful past....the crusades and all....it's not right to blame them...but a combination of mankind's arrogance and the events that transpired during the dark ages left a rather.......negative mark on the Catholic faith. And seeing it has a defined leader and so much power.....it is easy to take aim at

People are Flawed, I myself am Orthodox and we don't take the popes word as law, but we recognize the need for leadership to prevent heresy. We can't have people teaching one thing in cali, and another thing in NY. I'll be the first to admit There was corruption, that doesn't mean the faith itself is wrong. There is corruption in every christian sect. Negative mark or not, Man's sin does not make the belief wrong.  

Nikolai The Majestic

Shirtless Capitalist

8,675 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150

kesuke uchiha

Blessed Genius

10,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:38 pm
ArchAngel Nikolai
kesuke uchiha

People are Flawed, I myself am Orthodox and we don't take the popes word as law, but we recognize the need for leadership to prevent heresy. We can't have people teaching one thing in cali, and another thing in NY. I'll be the first to admit There was corruption, that doesn't mean the faith itself is wrong. There is corruption in every christian sect. Negative mark or not, Man's sin does not make the belief wrong.

this I know and dont worry..I am not taking up arms against you...lol sorry if I kinda put that image out...I am just answering your question to the best of my ability
you do not have to defend yourself in this guild....and if you do...then there is a problem. this is a safe haven for christians.
yes there is corruption as there is in anything... though I think we can all agree there is a great deal of differenced in what Gods will is and how man can twist Gods will into what profits them.... this form of corruption is a heresy that is all too known to us...we can see it in our pasts and in the current church...but do not concern yourself with it...only rise up against it when you see it...that is all that we should do as it has been said
vengence is Gods and Gods alone we have no place moving against them on our own means  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:42 pm
Rednal
Nn. Well, I think that part of it is that some people think the Catholic focus on Saints is close to having Idols or even outright Polytheism. Others want to have a close relationship with God, and not have to go through someone else. Others think the idea of a central religious authority that answers all questions is a little too overbearing, since they don't believe the Church to be infallible, and therefore even the Pope could potentially be wrong (Catholics, of course, may disagree). And still other people think there should be less of an emphasis on enormous cathedrals and outrageously rich interiors, and more focus on giving to others and helping them out.

And then there's the people who think that Catholic attitudes over the past 1900-ish years are what lead to the Holocaust, of course. See the book "Constantine's Sword" for more on that.

*Shrugs*

Me, I think Catholics are absolutely Christian, just... liable to get some of the details wrong. Of course, I say the same thing about the church I attend, so yeah. I wouldn't say that I particularly dislike Catholics or anything, but I do think that some policies and traditions have caused more harm than good, and I'd like to see those changed. Just as, y'know, a human being who prefers results with the highest level of "good".

Asking a saint to intercede in prayer is the same as asking your friend to pray for you. You can think thats wrong all you want, but its not about what you think. If God is real, If Through God the earlier Church Leaders out together the bible, Then God played a part in the tradition that were being practiced while the new testament was being put together.

Catholic thinking cause the holocaust? Fact: Hitler could have blamed it on anyone. There was a professor who did a study, He started to separate his class tell one group they were better then the other. By the end out It the one group Hated the other group of kids. Hitler used the economical state of his country to control his people. but then again If you want to blame the church go ahead.

What policies and tradition cause more harm then good?  

Nikolai The Majestic

Shirtless Capitalist

8,675 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150

Nikolai The Majestic

Shirtless Capitalist

8,675 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:48 pm
kesuke uchiha
ArchAngel Nikolai
kesuke uchiha

this I know and dont worry..I am not taking up arms against you...lol sorry if I kinda put that image out...I am just answering your question to the best of my ability
you do not have to defend yourself in this guild....and if you do...then there is a problem. this is a safe haven for christians.
yes there is corruption as there is in anything... though I think we can all agree there is a great deal of differenced in what Gods will is and how man can twist Gods will into what profits them.... this form of corruption is a heresy that is all too known to us...we can see it in our pasts and in the current church...but do not concern yourself with it...only rise up against it when you see it...that is all that we should do as it has been said
vengence is Gods and Gods alone we have no place moving against them on our own means

Yes we can tell the difference
between truth and heresy but Corruption of people in power does not make 2000 years of tradition and belief wrong.

First Forum I saw when i joined the guild was "Are Catholics Christian...." and a bunch of people saying no they are not.

Despite the fact that catholics have been doing "Christian" longer then anyone.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:51 pm
ArchAngel Nikolai
Rednal

*Shrugs*

Asking a saint to intercede in prayer is the same as asking your friend to pray for you. You can think thats wrong all you want, but its not about what you think. If God is real, If Through God the earlier Church Leaders out together the bible, Then God played a part in the tradition that were being practiced while the new testament was being put together.

Catholic thinking cause the holocaust? Fact: Hitler could have blamed it on anyone. There was a professor who did a study, He started to separate his class tell one group they were better then the other. By the end out It the one group Hated the other group of kids. Hitler used the economical state of his country to control his people. but then again If you want to blame the church go ahead.

not an expert or anything...but he may have been talking about another holocaust....where thousands upon thousands of not jews but Muslims where killed.....the crusades....
I did a quick study...and I am too sure...but what I have been led to believe is that it had a point in the begining...a good cause....but then that cause got twisted into vengence and turned into a hunt where the templars and religous fanatics just went out to kill every non christian they could get their hands on...man woman or child....which as you can imagine...is very unpopular...  

kesuke uchiha

Blessed Genius

10,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

Nikolai The Majestic

Shirtless Capitalist

8,675 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:58 pm
kesuke uchiha
ArchAngel Nikolai
Rednal

*Shrugs*

not an expert or anything...but he may have been talking about another holocaust....where thousands upon thousands of not jews but Muslims where killed.....the crusades....
I did a quick study...and I am too sure...but what I have been led to believe is that it had a point in the begining...a good cause....but then that cause got twisted into vengence and turned into a hunt where the templars and religous fanatics just went out to kill every non christian they could get their hands on...man woman or child....which as you can imagine...is very unpopular...

Im not going to defend the Crusades. This is how it went down in history class. The Kings have family sons, nephews, cousins that did not own any land. They were all knights, they had nothing to do but get drunk and fight each other. It got out of hand. To keep them busy and to stop all the knights and kings from fighting each other the pope called for a crusade to the holy land. Their were reasons for it, and its the same as so called christians today saying we should invade Iran, Iraq, or any other country. People start wars over power, It doesnt matter if religion is involved or not.

But again I agree there were mistakes in the past, But The crusades weren't a policy or a tradition.

What Policies or traditions do you believe are more harmful?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:03 pm
ArchAngel Nikolai
kesuke uchiha
ArchAngel Nikolai
kesuke uchiha

between truth and heresy but Corruption of people in power does not make 2000 years of tradition and belief wrong.

First Forum I saw when i joined the guild was "Are Catholics Christian...." and a bunch of people saying no they are not.

yes I saw that topic and if you look in there...you will see my opinion...but this guild is not anti anything...and if it is...I will be leaving very shortly....a true christian does not hate against anything....not even other religions....I even have good friends with good hearts that are buddist and even pagan....yes I believe that their faith is wrong...but no....I do not think less of them because of their choices...christianity was not meant to be forced onto anyone....and therefore we are not to treat any one differently we all have our opinions and it does not matter who was first or whos beliefs are the oldest....we are all sons and daughters of God and we all have no right to say that any of us are more than another because of our faith
that goes for me you my friends and everyone...
if you really want to go into catholic problems and such...then first you have know....every nation every religion and every person.....they all have skeletons in their closet....some bigger than others....but we all have them and fault can be thrown anywere....we cant just say one religion is better or more correct than another  

kesuke uchiha

Blessed Genius

10,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

kesuke uchiha

Blessed Genius

10,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:07 pm
ArchAngel Nikolai
kesuke uchiha
ArchAngel Nikolai
Rednal

*Shrugs*

Im not going to defend the Crusades. This is how it went down in history class. The Kings have family sons, nephews, cousins that did not own any land. They were all knights, they had nothing to do but get drunk and fight each other. It got out of hand. To keep them busy and to stop all the knights and kings from fighting each other the pope called for a crusade to the holy land. Their were reasons for it, and its the same as so called christians today saying we should invade Iran, Iraq, or any other country. People start wars over power, It doesnt matter if religion is involved or not.

But again I agree there were mistakes in the past, But The crusades weren't a policy or a tradition.

some policies and traditions are set by man....and man is arrogant...and not to be trusted at face value....there is no saying what is more harmful....so long as we are mortal we will never have it right...that is just our nature
many things of God are just beyond mortal comprehension and when we try and figure it out...people get hurt...wars get started and Christianity is stained again  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:09 pm
kesuke uchiha
ArchAngel Nikolai
kesuke uchiha
ArchAngel Nikolai
kesuke uchiha

yes I saw that topic and if you look in there...you will see my opinion...but this guild is not anti anything...and if it is...I will be leaving very shortly....a true christian does not hate against anything....not even other religions....I even have good friends with good hearts that are buddist and even pagan....yes I believe that their faith is wrong...but no....I do not think less of them because of their choices...christianity was not meant to be forced onto anyone....and therefore we are not to treat any one differently we all have our opinions and it does not matter who was first or whos beliefs are the oldest....we are all sons and daughters of God and we all have no right to say that any of us are more than another because of our faith
that goes for me you my friends and everyone...
if you really want to go into catholic problems and such...then first you have know....every nation every religion and every person.....they all have skeletons in their closet....some bigger than others....but we all have them and fault can be thrown anywere....we cant just say one religion is better or more correct than another

Yes and as i said in my first statement I think we and christians should be united. I did start the forum to whine about people hatin, But instead to be hear to clear up any misunderstanding in the faith and tradition of the catholic church.  

Nikolai The Majestic

Shirtless Capitalist

8,675 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150

Nikolai The Majestic

Shirtless Capitalist

8,675 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:11 pm
kesuke uchiha
ArchAngel Nikolai
kesuke uchiha
ArchAngel Nikolai
Rednal

*Shrugs*

some policies and traditions are set by man....and man is arrogant...and not to be trusted at face value....there is no saying what is more harmful....so long as we are mortal we will never have it right...that is just our nature
many things of God are just beyond mortal comprehension and when we try and figure it out...people get hurt...wars get started and Christianity is stained again

Thats a bit vague. Name a policy you disagree with and I can at least explain why we do it.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:22 pm
kesuke uchiha

In addition The Nicene council that Put together the New testament also put together a profession of Christian Faith

We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
by the power of the Holy Spirit
he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,
and was made man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

People can be corrupt, But it doesn't make the faith and beliefs are wrong. If the belief is wrong who's to say the entire bible is wrong Because they were the ones that put it together.  

Nikolai The Majestic

Shirtless Capitalist

8,675 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:23 pm
Quote:

*Grins*

Yeah, it's pretty easy to make groups dislike each other. In fact, some schools of thought suggest that the *only* thing you need is to have groups at all. Think less current Catholic thinking and more... couple thousand years of Anti-Jewish actions. It does sort of build up.

Of course, on the other hand, I'm a terrible, awful person who will question every single belief a church has without hesitation (up to and including that the Bible was, in fact, put together with God's help and wasn't just a collection of the texts thought most politically expedient; yay, heresy!) in an attempt to find better answers... so I don't think I do very well with Churches who expect you to agree that they have all the answers, all the time. I figure that if you can't admit the possibility of being wrong, you're probably on the way to a kind of fanaticism or fundamentalism, along with overly-narrow interpretations of things that probably weren't meant to be taken literally. Like, was Jonah actually eaten by a whale/giant fish, or was that a metaphor for a Roman prison? Or something else?

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Ghetto

That one.  
Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas