Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
do you consider catholics christain? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

zhiliolia

Greedy Gawker

9,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:05 pm
because i met these evangelists who told me all catholics go to hell because they are not christian, and i thought they were idiots and quit their church because of it.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:07 pm
Short answer? No.

I don't find them to, generally, conduct their services their beliefs and so on according to my understanding of the Bible. Therefore, no. However, they'd say the same about me.  

rosadria

zhiliolia

Greedy Gawker

9,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:08 pm
VK Fox
Short answer? No.

I don't find them to, generally, conduct their services their beliefs and so on according to my understanding of the Bible. Therefore, no. However, they'd say the same about me.

why not? they follow christ.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:17 pm
zhiliolia
VK Fox
Short answer? No.

You can't just say you follow Christ and that that makes you a Christian. I could say I'm a Marine, but that doesn't make it so because the Marine Corps has a standard doctrine and required ways of behaving to be a Marine.

I'll also fight them on Peter not being the first pope, Mary being honored but not more special than any other godly woman, infant baptism, how they don't have a legitimate claim as the first church, and what is required to actually be a Christian. Because the Bible does lay down rules and guidelines, much as your average Joe wishes it didn't.

Let's even go at this. What does it mean to follow Christ? What did He say, what does He want, how did He establish the church that was to come? How should that church look and how does it compare to the Catholic church as it exists today?  

rosadria

zhiliolia

Greedy Gawker

9,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:39 pm
VK Fox
zhiliolia
VK Fox
Short answer? No.

You can't just say you follow Christ and that that makes you a Christian. I could say I'm a Marine, but that doesn't make it so because the Marine Corps has a standard doctrine and required ways of behaving to be a Marine.

I'll also fight them on Peter not being the first pope, Mary being honored but not more special than any other godly woman, infant baptism, how they don't have a legitimate claim as the first church, and what is required to actually be a Christian. Because the Bible does lay down rules and guidelines, much as your average Joe wishes it didn't.

Let's even go at this. What does it mean to follow Christ? What did He say, what does He want, how did He establish the church that was to come? How should that church look and how does it compare to the Catholic church as it exists today?

have you even been to a catholic mass before? it follows the bible way more than the smaller evangelical churches that use to Bible to back up their prejudices, and then tell people they'll become gods if they have a gazillion wives. and Mary is not worshiped in the Catholic Church. She is just revered highly.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:28 pm
....I do not believe they are true Christians....though it is not fair to call them unchristian
they devote so much to their beliefs...it would be wrong to tell them that their beliefs are false
also....it is not our place to judge anyone  

kesuke uchiha

Blessed Genius

10,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

Wuppa Wuppa

Beloved Lunatic

8,300 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:50 pm
It's not the actual Catholics that bother me, it's the entire church that does. The Catholics themselves are just piggy banks. I know a mean Mormon though. /completely irrelevant  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:10 pm
zhiliolia
VK Fox
zhiliolia
VK Fox
Short answer? No.

have you even been to a catholic mass before? it follows the bible way more than the smaller evangelical churches that use to Bible to back up their prejudices, and then tell people they'll become gods if they have a gazillion wives. and Mary is not worshiped in the Catholic Church. She is just revered highly.

I didn't say worship, did I? Fact is, there are prayers to her which is beyond me. She was nothing more than a willing servant.
Sure, I've been to a Catholic mass. What I found was fairly unnerving and seemed to glorify man and his inventions rather than attempting to glorify God. Little to no time was spent on the Father. Most of it was rambling about saint this and saint that. I've even been stopped and told "Oh, you can't find it? Why don't you pray to Saint (I forget the name)." It's barely not polytheism.  

rosadria

Fringie Jester

Hardened Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:02 pm
I think that they are Christians... personally... I don't like focusing on who is right or who is wrong, because it's not my place to decide that. God is the only one that can decide that. But if the individual has a relationship with God, and the Catholic church can help them with that, then that is fine in my opinion.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:50 pm
I think they can be considered so since they trust the Lord. Anyone can be 'religious' regardless of denomination.  

Servant Reborn

Devout Worshipper

12,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Partygoer 500

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:48 pm
A Lonely Leaf
I think they can be considered so since they trust the Lord. Anyone can be 'religious' regardless of denomination.

This  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:58 pm
Lol. My sister had her baby three days ago, and when signing in she filled in "Christian."
After the baby was born, some nun went to her room ready to squirt him with "Holy water". My sister was like, "he- No thanks", she gave us some Saint's stamp which we then threw away.

It was interesting...
since we usually don't associate Christianity with Catholicism.

The word, "Christian" means someone who follows Christ's teachings/ Christ-like.
The was nothing Christ-like about handing us some Saint's stamp and trying to squirt my nephew with "Holy water."

Although I see where your post is coming from.
On a personal level, ultimately we are all accountable for what we do/believe.
No denomination is going to save you, only Jesus.

Green_Fuu

Fashionable Lunatic

10,600 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Mark Twain 100

xxEverBluexx

6,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:27 pm
I consider people Christian who have a personal relationship with the Lord (excepting certain "Christian" groups like the Jehovah's Witnesses who might think they know God, but we all know they're off. 3nodding ), and I think that does include some Catholics. I also think there are some Catholics who are stuck and legalistic, more Catholic than Christian. So generally, I would say they're Christian.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:18 pm
VK Fox
zhiliolia
VK Fox
zhiliolia
VK Fox
Short answer? No.

I didn't say worship, did I? Fact is, there are prayers to her which is beyond me. She was nothing more than a willing servant.
Sure, I've been to a Catholic mass. What I found was fairly unnerving and seemed to glorify man and his inventions rather than attempting to glorify God. Little to no time was spent on the Father. Most of it was rambling about saint this and saint that. I've even been stopped and told "Oh, you can't find it? Why don't you pray to Saint (I forget the name)." It's barely not polytheism.

I would very much consider them Christian. Though their doctrine on ones relationship with Christ may be false, when it comes to the Nature of God and Salvation I believe they have it right. I have been studying the Catholic St's and have found them highly intelligent and good Christians with a true love and understanding of Christ. Even a strong desire to follow Him. I would also conclude that they are good sources for studying theological concepts. Do I agree with them 100%? Of course not, things like the Eucharist and what you have mentioned prevent me from being Catholic, but at the same measure the protestant churches also have mess ups that keep me slightly ashamed to call myself a protestant. (Darn you Calvinism and Arianism and the once saved always saved doctrines!)  

Rsnbl Faith

Hilarious Defender

6,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Of my own

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:27 pm
I would consider myself a Christian. We do believe in the teachings of the Bible, even if we do so in different ways than other denominations.

As far as the stereotype of Catholics, you have to remember; not all people of a certain religion are picture perfect practitioners. Which is really too bad. Many 'cradle-catholics' either stray from the religion or dont keep their teachings in heart when they live their daily lives. Even I am guilty of this now and again. It is man's nature.

Some cultures who practice catholicism can really emphasize parts of the religion more than others. Mary is a really big part of hispanic-catholicism. I go to a mexican/english speaking church named in honor of Our Lady of Guadalupe. While it seems like a temple of Mary, it just ain't. Mary is a very inspiring role model of an excellent servant of God. Many people, including myself, ask for her to intercede our prayers (as we do for other saints. No, we dont worship them) to God since she is a little less intimidating to pray to. Sometimes asking the 'Big Guy in the sky' straight up for strength and what not can be pretty hard. I mean, people are dying and starving, why should we bother him with our small prayers? Some people have that mentality.

I do agree that sometimes Jesus and God the Father tend to get meshed. but Jesus is probably easier to talk about since he was an actual human on earth at one point. I dont know, just a thought.  
Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff