Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Pathfinder: Monstrous Gladiators, Moar Players Needed! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

iLL iNTENT

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:16 am
So thanks to some inspiration from Captain I'm now running a gladiator style campaign. However, instead of your characters doing the fighting themselves, you've got a number of monster slaves who fight in the pits in your stead. We're up and ready to go, but I'd like to have some more active players. I'll give some details on how this all works and if you think you'd be interested let me know and I'll direct you to our forum.

Combat will mostly be PvP, with players' teams of monsters fighting in the arena. On the occasion, there will be special events in which each player contributes a few monsters to fight together as a team against a greater DM controlled foe. There will also be hunting expeditions that function like your typical dungeon crawls so your character will still see their fair share of action.

Characters are starting at level 3, with a few acres of property to your name, and a small stable of monsters at your disposal. You also start with two level 1 minions to help you guard your property and keep your monsters under control. You have the usual amount of starting gold for a level 3 character to spend on equipment, as well as an additional 1,000 gp to equip your minions and monsters.

Your character levels up as you participate in events, and your monsters will advance as well. Intelligent monsters can gain class levels and mindless beasts will advance by hit dice. Players can also obtain new monsters by either purchasing them in the coliseum's market, catching them themselves on the previously mentioned hunting expeditions, and occasionally, rare monsters will be offered as prizes in special events.

Getting started will take a bit of an effort because you'll need to make character sheets for your main character, your minions, as well as your starting monsters, but once the ball gets rolling I'm expecting this to turn into something very fun and truly unique. Aside from the gladiatorial element to it, I'm keeping this as open as possible, to let your character pursue whatever interests you wish.

You can see the previous thread here where the idea was molded into shape if you'd like any more details on specific aspects of the game, and I'd be happy to answer any questions or address any concerns you might have. As of right now I've got 2 active players and 1 that's currently busy with real life events, so I would like to recruit at least 2 more, maybe up to 4 if that many are interested. Like I said, getting started will take a bit of work, but I think this will be a very rewarding experience for those involved. And I'll be available to assist you through the character creation process if you have any trouble, so don't let the multiple character sheets intimidate you.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:42 am
Alright, no one answered the question before.... so, I shall ask it again. What happens if the player chooses to be a summoner(of any class)? Or does the person not matter? If the class chosen matters in the slightest. A master summoner wouldn't need the Monter Rancher facilities. All the prep work done would seem kind of useless.  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

iLL iNTENT

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:12 am
Southern_cross_nemesis
Alright, no one answered the question before.... so, I shall ask it again. What happens if the player chooses to be a summoner(of any class)? Or does the person not matter? If the class chosen matters in the slightest. A master summoner wouldn't need the Monter Rancher facilities. All the prep work done would seem kind of useless.

True. A master summoner would not need to purchase monsters, go on hunting trips, keep any kind of training facility, and by not having such a facility, he would not need to worry about trespassers and saboteurs. And as such, that completely undermines the point of the campaign.

Obtaining and training these different monsters is about player interaction and exploration, to get players to work together (or oppose each other) in ways they typically wouldn't in the average campaign. And just having a bunch of summoners running around seems kinda boring to me. Any kind of monster anyone wants, poof, they can just summon it up. They can already get anything they want, and therefore don't really have any need to collaborate with anyone else.

A large part of this world's economy is built around monster trade, so they likely wouldn't be willing to give away prize money to someone completely outside that economic network. So I'm going to say the arena has a strict no summoning policy.

Now, if someone still wanted to make a summoner, I wouldn't stop them. Your actual character will still be used in situations outside the arena, on hunting expeditions for example, or snooping around on another player's property. Summoning would be perfectly acceptable then, but no summoned monsters may fight in the arena.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:11 pm
Don't most summon spells (at least at these early levels) have durations measured in rounds? In which case, I very much doubt the arena would allow someone to enter any sort of conjured beast on the basis that if the battle runs long... they could simply up and disappear, which could cause the crowd to turn unruly or event hostile. It'd also degrade the effect of their death - instead of dying gruesomely, they'd just vanish back to their home plane, denying the crowd what they want (lets' face it... in most cases, they want to see the blood and gore).

Ergo, I suspect that a Summoner would need a facility and tangible monsters as much as any other class. Regardless of how you increase the duration of your summons (such as through feats, other spells, or being the Summoner base class and using your Eidolon).  

Captain Ragnar Devonin
Crew

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:10 pm
Captain Ragnar Devonin
Don't most summon spells (at least at these early levels) have durations measured in rounds? In which case, I very much doubt the arena would allow someone to enter any sort of conjured beast on the basis that if the battle runs long... they could simply up and disappear, which could cause the crowd to turn unruly or event hostile. It'd also degrade the effect of their death - instead of dying gruesomely, they'd just vanish back to their home plane, denying the crowd what they want (lets' face it... in most cases, they want to see the blood and gore).

Ergo, I suspect that a Summoner would need a facility and tangible monsters as much as any other class. Regardless of how you increase the duration of your summons (such as through feats, other spells, or being the Summoner base class and using your Eidolon).

Where your right, in some cases... a normal summoner's summons durations are changed from rounds to minutes. there for one could last for the fight. Though, the same idea would fly for someone playing a necromancer. say you pet died... that is alright bring it's worthless body back from the dead so it can fight again... the crowd would still be denied blood and gore.... Why not just limit the classes Bard or Calvilar? Those are the only two that could help their pets more than bite, scratch, guard  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:44 pm
Rounds, or minutes... limited duration is limited duration and that was my point - they wouldn't allow something that could just pop out of existance.

They also wouldn't allow you to animate dead your minions and continue fighting, simply due to the fact that if you can't lob fireballs in there to help, why would you get to toss out animate dead? I'd imagine the crowd wouldn't be too thrilled with if the loser pulled a bit of a cheap tactic like that to win. And if the crowd turns hostile, the games are over for you.

If you want their bodies carted back to your estate to raise them there though, I don't think iLL would take issue with that, though you'd have to keep in mind your undead control limitation.

And I have no idea what you mean by limiting the classes to Bard and Cavalier. If you think you're in the pit fighting with them, you aren't. You also can't directly influence the battle. But your class still does matter.

All classes have their uses still; a Fighter could be the one to help train his monsters, a wizard could teach them magic (justifying them taking arcane-using classes when they improve), rogues and bards could manipulate people and creatures, a ranger would have an easier time hunting new beasts, it just takes a bit of creativity as far as each class goes to find their uses in this game. I have a Wizard myself, and her barred schools are evocation and abjuration (matters less in PF, but I also didn't take any spells from either of those schools). She is still quite useful outside of the arena.  

Captain Ragnar Devonin
Crew

iLL iNTENT

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:42 pm
Southern_cross_nemesis
Captain Ragnar Devonin

Where your right, in some cases... a normal summoner's summons durations are changed from rounds to minutes. there for one could last for the fight. Though, the same idea would fly for someone playing a necromancer. say you pet died... that is alright bring it's worthless body back from the dead so it can fight again... the crowd would still be denied blood and gore.... Why not just limit the classes Bard or Calvilar? Those are the only two that could help their pets more than bite, scratch, guard

I don't think you're quite getting the point. Your main character does not participate in the arena at all. You aren't allowed to cast any spells on your monsters before or during the fight. They have to use their own resources. Now, Captain is right, if you wanted to haul a corpse back to your estate after a fight and turn it into a zombie, then the crowd still gets the death it wanted to see. And creating a zombie is different than summoning a monster. The zombie stays here on this plane. It doesn't disappear when killed or when a spell duration runs out.

And I'm not sure what you mean when you say why not limit the classes to Bard or Cavalier. Like I said, your character is still completely usable outside the arena but you do not fight in the ring with your monsters.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:11 pm
I am not really interested in playing, to me it sounds far to much like pokemon or monster rancher... or any of the other monster games. In which, seemed pointless and I never liked... I always wanted to hit the other guy, not his monsters, with an extremely powerful move. I would be disbarred from the fight, but the other guy would never be able to fight for a long long time. And any money he made would need to go to his doctor bills twisted

I am just trying to think of things, that might have been over looked.

The bard for the simple fact he could possible, draw the attention of the other guy, crowd or ref... which would allow something down right dirty to happen...not sure like what, maybe throw poo at the monster's eyes...  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

iLL iNTENT

Fuzzy Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:23 pm
Southern_cross_nemesis
I am not really interested in playing, to me it sounds far to much like pokemon or monster rancher...

And I can respect your view on that. However, the point of this thread is I'm trying to find people who ARE interested. I made a new thread instead of bumping the other one so people could see call of the information in one post, instead of having to read through the several pages of information in the other thread, looking for the details.

So if you have no interest whatsoever in playing, I'd appreciate it if you stopped filling this thread with hypothetical questions.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:26 pm
iLL iNTENT
Southern_cross_nemesis
I am not really interested in playing, to me it sounds far to much like pokemon or monster rancher...

And I can respect your view on that. However, the point of this thread is I'm trying to find people who ARE interested. I made a new thread instead of bumping the other one so people could see call of the information in one post, instead of having to read through the several pages of information in the other thread, looking for the details.

So if you have no interest whatsoever in playing, I'd appreciate it if you stopped filling this thread with hypothetical questions.
sorry  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

glitterboypilot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:39 pm
How much for a tarrasque? Just kidding...

I normally don't play pokemon games, but the idea kind of interests me... Would it be possible, for the trainer to have a magical communications device, or a psychic link to his monsters? hell, even train them to respond to sounds. He wouldn't be directly involved in the match, but he would be able to communicate commands more efficiently with his monsters. The idea, is mostly for rp perspective, but also, a necromantic trainer is sounding really interesting to me and in order for the mindless undead funtion halfway decent some direction might be needed. If for nothing else, than cheaper monsters. I mean, if the monster is dead, unless if the trainer wants to revive it, it is useless to him/her. But to a Necromancer...

Then again, a Telepath is alluring as well... for the same reason as the communications device. Would we be allowed to use the psionics? It isn't Pathfinder, so have to ask  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:55 pm
glitterboypilot
How much for a tarrasque? Just kidding...

I normally don't play pokemon games, but the idea kind of interests me... Would it be possible, for the trainer to have a magical communications device, or a psychic link to his monsters? hell, even train them to respond to sounds. He wouldn't be directly involved in the match, but he would be able to communicate commands more efficiently with his monsters. The idea, is mostly for rp perspective, but also, a necromantic trainer is sounding really interesting to me and in order for the mindless undead funtion halfway decent some direction might be needed. If for nothing else, than cheaper monsters. I mean, if the monster is dead, unless if the trainer wants to revive it, it is useless to him/her. But to a Necromancer...

Then again, a Telepath is alluring as well... for the same reason as the communications device. Would we be allowed to use the psionics? It isn't Pathfinder, so have to ask

If it's not in the SRD under official Pazio content I'm afraid it won't be allowed. However, if you want to specialize in undead I'm sure we can work out some way for you to give them commands.

The easiest way I think would be to actually train them to take commands from another one of your monsters, maybe something with cleric levels, or another, intelligent undead capable of providing them some buffs.

As far as directly communicating with your character goes, maybe I could have some kind of magic device for sale. I had a few other things I was considering to make handling easier, so I'll add that to my list of considerations.

The reason though I'd prefer that their commands came from another monster in the arena, and rather from your character directly, is because that would provide you an unfair advantage in certain arenas and special events. For example, there's an arena called the sewer pit, which is an underground chamber lit by a few torches, with arcane eyes equipped with darkvision providing the crowd a clear view of the action. The idea of the sewer pit is that certain monsters can take advantage of the darkness by snuffing out torches, rendering other monsters in the arena blind. How, if you're there with a direct line of communication to your monsters and you're able to see everything because of those arcane eyes, that kind of gives you the edge over other players, you see what I'm saying?  

iLL iNTENT

Fuzzy Lunatic

Captain Ragnar Devonin
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:55 am
You know... for anyone else reading this thread, and the idea of this game I'm going to make one request.

Look past the "OMG POKEMONZ!" Please? Even for a moment?

This isn't a game intended to be "OMG POKEMONS!" (At least it wasn't my original intention).

Think more to Gladiator movies or shows you've seen. Sure, the fighting was a big part of it, but there was still plenty of other stuff going on too. LOTS of other stuff. At least in the ones I've seen (and liked). Some of that is here too, and the more people that give it a shot... the more that non-arena stuff becomes interesting.

Plus, come on... How often do you get to RP as a dragon tearing apart a mass of little creatures without being a DM or using polymorph? You can be damn sure I'm not just going to say "My hobgoblin attacks you, 23 vs. AC... "

... Especially once I get a dragon. <3  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:35 am
Captain Ragnar Devonin
You know... for anyone else reading this thread, and the idea of this game I'm going to make one request.

Look past the "OMG POKEMONZ!" Please? Even for a moment?

This isn't a game intended to be "OMG POKEMONS!" (At least it wasn't my original intention).

Think more to Gladiator movies or shows you've seen. Sure, the fighting was a big part of it, but there was still plenty of other stuff going on too. LOTS of other stuff. At least in the ones I've seen (and liked). Some of that is here too, and the more people that give it a shot... the more that non-arena stuff becomes interesting.

Plus, come on... How often do you get to RP as a dragon tearing apart a mass of little creatures without being a DM or using polymorph? You can be damn sure I'm not just going to say "My hobgoblin attacks you, 23 vs. AC... "

... Especially once I get a dragon. <3

I concur. There's going to be much more going on than just what's inside the arena. All the fighting isn't going to be left to your gladiators. Your actual characters will be getting plenty of action of their own. To be honest, I don't really think the arena parts are really comparable to pokemon either. Especially if you've got intelligent monsters which are gaining class levels. Then you'd basically have your own party of adventurers.  

iLL iNTENT

Fuzzy Lunatic

glitterboypilot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:11 am
iLL iNTENT
Sorry, I only read the first post and thought one would be screaming out commands; like a coach, or commanding officer. But the trainer is more like a ... cockfight trainer ... just release the monsters and let them tear the shreds out of the opponent. An other question, who would one transport the monsters? Unless, if the roads are massive... I don't see a massive golem walking down main street

Uh, Darn my mind. A golem creator sounds cool too ... Ahhh

Captain Ragnar Devonin
Sorry, but Um... have you seen the pokemon shows? They do more things as well, there are a few shows I never even see a single battle. That is why, I chose it. I don't watch movies, or a lot of tv. Pokemon is just one of the shows my cousins watch when they come over.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff