Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Tribal game (Intrest check) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which System?
  Pathfinder
  4e
  (my own check don't pick)
View Results

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:37 am
I have an idea for a game, which style I play it in doesn't really matter to me. So I ask you...

The game is centered largely, on my limited knowledge of Tribal... gotten by movies like 10,000 BC, Dances with Wolves, and a few books I have read on the subject. The players will be aspiring warriors/hunters/shamans (depending their class).

If we play in 3.5 or pathfinder, the player will have about a week or so between hunts to replace lost, make new or upgrade gear...  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:41 am
I plan to start this around the 8th of January, So the pole will be up until then... if no one votes in the pole, then I will take it no one wants to play and the idea will be scraped.

If we play 4e, I will ask someone play dm's helper...  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

Norin Brightblade

Romantic Conversationalist

5,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:58 am
long live 3.5e  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:12 pm
4th would make for an interesting set-up, especially with the tribal feats.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:17 pm
where are the tribal feats? Nevermind... I feel smart  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:32 pm
Dion Necurat

Particularly given that they consider primal to be its own power source. Nayr Ventess ran a tribes vs civilization game for a while, that was pretty fun. Only trouble is that primal classes are painfully short on radiant damage.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:36 pm
Arc Vembris
Dion Necurat

Particularly given that they consider primal to be its own power source. Nayr Ventess ran a tribes vs civilization game for a while, that was pretty fun. Only trouble is that primal classes are painfully short on radiant damage.

Runepriest could work as a primal-flavored class.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:40 pm
Dion Necurat
Arc Vembris
Dion Necurat

Runepriest could work as a primal-flavored class.
A runepriest that works entirely in Celtic Knotwork  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:02 pm
I am not limiting you guys to only primal characters... though might limit you guys on arcane, as they normally require study and from an rp point of view... you have none.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:33 pm
Ooh, ooh, I'd play!

This is one of my favorite things evah. ninja

Also, witches (wizards but CRAZY!) exist in arcane, and so Bards seem pretty primal.

As well, sorceress don't need study.

Warlock maybe.

But you could pass a fey-warlock maybe, who uses evil nature creatures /shrug.  

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:56 am
If I could be a dragonborn with Strength Con that's all I'd ever be. ninja  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:57 am
Of course not only primal classes, but primal stuff lends a great flavor to a tribal game. Martial classes as well, and really the only arcane classes I might limit would be int-based ones, save for the witch. Witch is built for low-tech societies and "from an RP-perspective" it's meant to be some of the earliest forms of arcane magic.

A lot of psionic stuff seems off-tone for a game like this, but everything in Heroes of the Feywild is built for this.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:37 pm
Arc Vembris
Of course not only primal classes, but primal stuff lends a great flavor to a tribal game. Martial classes as well, and really the only arcane classes I might limit would be int-based ones, save for the witch. Witch is built for low-tech societies and "from an RP-perspective" it's meant to be some of the earliest forms of arcane magic.

A lot of psionic stuff seems off-tone for a game like this, but everything in Heroes of the Feywild is built for this.

Yeah, psionic stuff seems to be a bit more religious flavored in any case; and I don't know about holy.

Given the establishment behind something like a paladin or cleric it would be questionable.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:03 pm
Suicidesoldier#1
Arc Vembris

Yeah, psionic stuff seems to be a bit more religious flavored in any case; and I don't know about holy.

Given the establishment behind something like a paladin or cleric it would be questionable.

There's no class mechanic that demands an establishment behind a cleric or paladin. It could go either way depending on whether we go stone age or iron age. It's the shift from animism to theism that would color the balance between primal and divine classes.

I think a bigger factor might be race limiters. A tribal party will be more homogeneous and less cosmopolitan than typical D&D fare, but you don't wanna shut players down too much.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Suicidesoldier#1

Fanatical Zealot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:27 pm
Arc Vembris
Suicidesoldier#1
Arc Vembris

There's no class mechanic that demands an establishment behind a cleric or paladin. It could go either way depending on whether we go stone age or iron age. It's the shift from animism to theism that would color the balance between primal and divine classes.

I think a bigger factor might be race limiters. A tribal party will be more homogeneous and less cosmopolitan than typical D&D fare, but you don't wanna shut players down too much.

Well yesh, if your religion was naturesz it would totally be possible.

Where one would find metal armor and weapons, idk though.

I think a monk would do well though.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces