Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
What kind of campaign do you enjoy the most? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Favorite campaign type?
  Edge of your seat, stuff blowing up excitement! ACTION!
  Side-splitting, unadulterated joy! COMEDY!
  Skin-of-your-teeth, blood-splattered nightmare fuel. HORROR!
  Heart-warming, happy tales of heroics. ROMANCE!
  High-stakes, everything-or-nothing suspense. INTRIGUE!
  Other. I'll tell you in the thread.
View Results

Slave Xaccheus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:36 pm
Yeah, because I want to run a campaign but have no clue what everyone likes, or at the very least, what someone likes. So I'm wondering and asking all of you, regardless of edition or game, what type of campaign you enjoy. I'm also welcome to (as in: POST) an explanation as to why you like this type of campaign.

With that in mind, GO!  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:47 pm
First response, get!

I like intrigue and drama. Action has its place, but I like seeing characters struggling with difficult decisions, or getting involved in problems that have wider ramifications than they anticipate.

Ancelas

InsaneKatKing

Desirable Shapeshifter

8,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:58 pm
Ancelas
First response, get!

I like intrigue and drama. Action has its place, but I like seeing characters struggling with difficult decisions, or getting involved in problems that have wider ramifications than they anticipate.

I second this opinion. THe more real our character's can become in the game, the more satisfying it is lol  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:19 pm
Me anything but, horror and intrigue,

Action: All fun and games until you get your arm blown off

Comedy: As long as it isn't sick and twisted...

Horror: Zombie slaying is about as far as I go here. I tend to get lost and not very scared...

Romance: Depends on the female... and as long as it doesn't go too far

Intrigue: I tend to figure it out too soon and it ruins all the fun  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:30 pm
Southern_cross_nemesis

That's when cyborg arms get into play  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:42 pm
Southern_cross_nemesis

"Your arm's off."
"No it isn't"  

Mackie the Knife

6,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100

Cute Things In Jars

Anxious Poster

10,675 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:03 am
every campaign me and my RL mates do is just a riot! The story is serious and well thought out, but the way we go about it is so unorthodox that is makes the entire game one big laugh fest. Our games remind me of the anime "Slayers". A serious plot, and we go about it in a serious manner, but our gang is so rag-tag and problematic that everything just goes crazy.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:42 pm
I think that my favorite style of play is actually satire. There's plenty of the other elements, but the biggest element would be more of a British comedy feel or even subtle "Hey, does this remind you of anything"s.  

Slave Xaccheus

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:09 pm
I chose "Other". The games I enjoy are ones that make you think. Sometimes its fun to just Hulk your way through a situation, but I prefer to use my cleverness to resolve matters. Games where violence is your ONLY solution can be fun, but aren't the MOST fun for me.

Figuring out the plot like a good mystery, and seeing the big picture once I have most of the pieces, or better yet, only once I have the last piece of the puzzle... THOSE are the games I carry with me to cherish always.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:34 pm
I'm personally a little of the 'all the above' kinda guy. To me, a game should be kind of like a buffet. You can have a little of everything, but pending on your actions/decisions can have more of one thing over the other or some variation there of. No one game has to be the exact same which gives it a nice 'life' feel to it.

Action: Always nice to have when there is something like a 'timed boss fight' or something drastic is about to happen.
Comedy: Not every one has to be a 'Serious Paladin', so why not have some fun while your at it occasionally? Players getting drunk is a good example of this.
Horror: I get very little of this save for at low levels when my player is on the verge of death. But sometimes it can be do-able at higher levels if you know how to do it properly.
Romance: Again, happens very little with me save for when me and the player discuss it out of character and think that it seems appropriate. Don't need to necessarily use the 'Love books' as I call them, but it can be a nice change of pace.
Intrigue: I always want this. I'm a adventuerer in some aspects that when playing a single player game I like to go to the corners of the in-game map just to see what is there. Mysteries need to be kept hidden better from me or else it ruins it too soon.  

Yurro

Friendly Guildsman

7,600 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

Slave Xaccheus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:41 pm
Hmmm... How would you guys like to take on a villain who isn't so much tough as he is clever? Sort of like a chess game as well as an action game, where it's an urban battle between the PC's and a somewhat-unhinged professional killer who wants to play a game of cat vs. cat?

Plenty of elements of a lot of them. You'd have your fast-paced action scenes, your uncertain what's next mystery scenes, and that creepy, forbidding horror element of "Where/when/who is he/she/it going to strike next?"

And a dash of comedy for the faint-of-heart, weak-of-stomach, or uncontrolled-of-bladder.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:49 pm
I enjoy the type involving multiclassing for almost every character. Like one time I did a Magic: the Gathering Campaign. Most everyone was either a fighter, warlord, ranger,or warlock. Martial Classes dabbled in wizard powers to get the effect of you being a planeswalker. I was Tezzeret, and our DM allowed me to use his arm as a shield bonus, so that the character could have a realistic Etherium Graft.  

Cyrus The Keeper

Yurro

Friendly Guildsman

7,600 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:03 pm
@Eternality_Cannon: That sounds really interesting.

Personally the most 'all the above' game I ever Dm'ed fell flat because of life getting in my way more then the players. I made a post about it somewhere on Gaia once before...

Ah! Here it is... [a thread about 'Favorite in-game places played']
Quote:
My all time favorite place I've played?

Well I didn't get to play it, but I got to watch my players play a very, VERY special dungeon I constructed for a lvl 20 gestalt game.

Lets put it this way... Take a look at this image. Did that? Now take a look at the small blue star-like thing flying around? That was an airship the players rode on. The 'Dungeon' in question? That huge machine of destruction that star is flying towards.

That's right, a dungeon inside the final boss. To make things better, they were being timed trying to stop the boss vs the boss stopping the world by destroying it. I had to do alot of anatomy studying for that one...

Basic premise was that the 'Boss Dungeon' had Artifacts for Organs, and they had to reach said Organs and remove them [much like batteries from a toy] to cancel out some of his abilities. Anyone that knew anatomy for dragons in character basically were going to have to act like guides for everyone else in the game. Then they had to try and decide which part to go after, and what order all the while the Boss was wrecking havoc on the Planet. [Material Plane in my games include Space, multiple planets, galaxies, etc.] All in all would of been a nice way to introduce Epic to the characters.

Examples of Organs:
-The Heart artifact was for its Breath Weapon/Divine Punishment-style ability that not only dealt a mixture of elements and divine damage, but had a 'Anti-magic field' effect on anyone that takes damage from it.
-The Brain artifact was in fact the 'control room' that a person could control the Boss if they successfully beat its Personality check. The baddie they thought was the Boss lost and was taken over by the Real Boss so that it could effectively control all its powers to destroy the world.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:16 pm
Picture my campaign as a semi-high-level Gestalt game that combines The Dark Knight with Army of Darkness. Plenty of fun for all audiences, but watch your backs.  

Slave Xaccheus

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:20 pm
I would play, cause it sounds cool... and I don't get to play a gestalt game that much.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff