Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Advice ~ because we care
Tithing. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Contentious Fantasy

Shy Lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:46 pm
I hope that's spelled right. Alright, well, my grandmother was watching a show last night and I was in the room, so I ended up listening in. The preacher was talking about tithing and how everyone must do so.
He was saying that even if you're broke you should be giving back to God because by doing so, he will bless you and that you will not be broke for long, because he will help you.
I'm seventeen, I don't have a job and I can't get one. I do get a twenty or a five thrown at me for food and stuff from my parents, but I don't earn anything daily, or weekly.
I want the blessing that God can give, and of course I want to give but what if I don't have enough?
This has been on my mind for a few days now and I'd like to hear what you all have to say.

Should I be giving to the church and tithing as well?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:08 pm
Haha. I asked the same question to my mother.
I was told by my church mentor that I have to tithe no matter what.
So I went to two people, the preacher`s wife and my mother.

I asked the wife: "I do not have a job and the only money I get is from my mother who already tithes for our house hold and the money is supposed to go to food."
She told me: "Since you are not producing financial fruit it is alright to not tithe since the money you have obtained is not your own. It is not your fruit."

I asked my mother the same question and she answered. "You are still part of my household and the money I make I tithe to God. Our household does tithe and God favors us because of this."
That is just the short version of what she said but none the less you get the idea!

Personally, I believe that because I do not own money to tithe to the Lord the money I do come into contact with is from my mother who has given it to me because it is meant to feed me. Nothing else.
If I tithe it I will not eat.
It is not my money, it is charity really.
It is my mother taking care of me.

I tithed my food money for awhile though, despite the two answers I got previously and I ended up getting hunger pains because I would go through a week with no food....
I think I got my answer from God. "Eat my child! I can wait. I will make you fruitful in time."

Hopefully that has helped some...Or you can at least know you are not the only one who has thought this question!

x_StrawberrySparkles

d i m i r h e x

7,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:57 am
Tithing is a law of God. We are commanded in the scriptures to tithe 10% of our increase. It does bring great blessings, whether they be physical, monotary, or spiritual. You may not see those blessings right away, but you will in due time. Read in Malachi ch. 3:7-10...I think? It talks about tithing.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:09 pm
d i m i r h e x

I asked the wife: "I do not have a job and the only money I get is from my mother who already tithes for our house hold and the money is supposed to go to food."
She told me: "Since you are not producing financial fruit it is alright to not tithe since the money you have obtained is not your own. It is not your fruit."

I asked my mother the same question and she answered. "You are still part of my household and the money I make I tithe to God. Our household does tithe and God favors us because of this."
That is just the short version of what she said but none the less you get the idea!

Personally, I believe that because I do not own money to tithe to the Lord the money I do come into contact with is from my mother who has given it to me because it is meant to feed me. Nothing else.

I tithed my food money for awhile though, despite the two answers I got previously and I ended up getting hunger pains because I would go through a week with no food....
I think I got my answer from God. "Eat my child! I can wait. I will make you fruitful in time."

Hopefully that has helped some...Or you can at least know you are not the only one who has thought this question!
I am a sinner... "1 John 1:8"

I agree with this.

Also if at the end of week you have money left over from what is given to you, you can still give it back to God.

I don't have much in the way of money and I know I really need to work on tithing more. When I do give to the church I feel great about it. I know God is going to use that money and it will further His Will. I have a very tightly fixed budget that seems to be decreasing every month but I know that God will always provide for me no matter how much of that money I give back.

...Saved by God's grace "Acts 15:11"

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100

d i m i r h e x

7,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:38 pm
faithful quenga

Oh yay!
Someone actually agrees with me!
My mother has been in your situation before.
When the recession first hit she lost her job and was out of work for a year and a half.
We were living off of unemployment and barely making it.

There would be Sundays where we could not tithe, especially when both of our dog`s healths' started to fail and the vet bills went through the roof.
Then we got caught up in house bills, and my mental disability that if we happened to tithe that week something, or someone would have suffered for it.

I like to believe that God understands and if you pray and ask for help he will make you fruitful enough to tithe.
As long as when you do become fruitful you tithe it and give with a happy heart. 4laugh
I don`t think God gets angry if you are struggling financially and do not tithe all the time, I think that is when he wants you to come to him and ask for help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:10 pm
faithful quenga
d i m i r h e x

I agree with this.

Also if at the end of week you have money left over from what is given to you, you can still give it back to God.

I don't have much in the way of money and I know I really need to work on tithing more. When I do give to the church I feel great about it. I know God is going to use that money and it will further His Will. I have a very tightly fixed budget that seems to be decreasing every month but I know that God will always provide for me no matter how much of that money I give back.

I was always taught to pay tithing before any thing else. It has to do with the firstfruits of our labour, etc.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:53 pm
Shadows-shine
faithful quenga
d i m i r h e x

I agree with this.

I was always taught to pay tithing before any thing else. It has to do with the firstfruits of our labour, etc.

Yes that is true. What I was referring to was her specific situation where the money she is given in from her parents and that she is still under their house and their tithes cover her. If of the money given to her is left over at the end of the week, it's still good to give it all to God.

though you are completely right, tithes are to be made before absolutely anything else is done with the money.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:55 am
faithful quenga
Shadows-shine
faithful quenga
d i m i r h e x

I asked my mother the same question and she answered. "You are still part of my household and the money I make I tithe to God. Our household does tikthe and God favors us because of this."

I agree with this.

Yes that is true. What I was referring to was her specific situation where the money she is given in from her parents and that she is still under their house and their tithes cover her. If of the money given to her is left over at the end of the week, it's still good to give it all to God.

though you are completely right, tithes are to be made before absolutely anything else is done with the money.

Ah okay. Guess I should have read all the posts before responding.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

faithful quenga

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:14 pm

this part of a study in my bible:

FAQ's on tithing

~Where's my money going?
Remember, your offering is foremost and exclusively a gift to God, not an organization, as a voluntary act of worship. the church is simply the vehicle for putting God's money into circulation. Find out where your money is going. ask questions at your church. join ministry teams. Experience the opportunities firsthand so you can see the difference your gift makes.

~Who made up the magical "10-percent" rule?
God did. The Bible gives examples of a tithe, which means "a tenth" ( see Genesis 14:20 ). This amount is actually a Biblical minimum. A tithe represents the first 10% of our income ( see proverbs 3:9-10 ). that means before taxes (gross, not net) and before we pay our other bills and have "leftover" cash. Keep in mind that generosity is a Christian's modus operandi. As we grow, we may give beyond 10 % - not because we have to, but because we want to.

~What if I have too much debt to tithe?
the Bible says that our money belongs first to God, not the debitors. honor your responsibility to pay back a debt, but don't neglect giving.

Tithing is more for us than it is for God. God doesn't need our money, as if he's going to go out of business without our donations. But tithing does something to our hearts. It's an act of submission, of putting God first, of getting to partner with God in what he's already doing on earth.

The only time God instructs us to test him is in the area of tithing. ( see Malachi 3:8-12 ). And he promises to bless us! If you haven't been tithing, try this six-month challenge to revamp your relationship with money and flex your faith.

--Give to God before you pay your bills. If you can't reasonably give 10%, start smaller and work your way up.
--Give regularly as part of your worship. Your attitude is what counts not the size of your gift ( see Mark 12:43-44 ).
--Refuse to incur more debt. Cut up your credit cards. Pay more than the monthly minimum to avoid more interest fees. God wants you to be financially free so that you don't live as a slave to your finances and so that you can have the joy of giving.

God himself is willing for you to put him to the test with tithing - and he has never failed anyone yet.

"Tithing is down 14% in 2001 to 6% in 2002 among born again Christians." - Barna Research Group 2003

"Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, will be poured into your lap." - Luke 6:38

see also:
2 Samuel 24:24
Proverbs 3:9-10
2 Corinthians 9:6-15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:04 pm
faithful quenga

this part of a study in my bible:

FAQ's on tithing

~Where's my money going?
Remember, your offering is foremost and exclusively a gift to God, not an organization, as a voluntary act of worship. the church is simply the vehicle for putting God's money into circulation. Find out where your money is going. ask questions at your church. join ministry teams. Experience the opportunities firsthand so you can see the difference your gift makes.

~Who made up the magical "10-percent" rule?
God did. The Bible gives examples of a tithe, which means "a tenth" ( see Genesis 14:20 ). This amount is actually a Biblical minimum. A tithe represents the first 10% of our income ( see proverbs 3:9-10 ). that means before taxes (gross, not net) and before we pay our other bills and have "leftover" cash. Keep in mind that generosity is a Christian's modus operandi. As we grow, we may give beyond 10 % - not because we have to, but because we want to.

~What if I have too much debt to tithe?
the Bible says that our money belongs first to God, not the debitors. honor your responsibility to pay back a debt, but don't neglect giving.

Tithing is more for us than it is for God. God doesn't need our money, as if he's going to go out of business without our donations. But tithing does something to our hearts. It's an act of submission, of putting God first, of getting to partner with God in what he's already doing on earth.

The only time God instructs us to test him is in the area of tithing. ( see Malachi 3:8-12 ). And he promises to bless us! If you haven't been tithing, try this six-month challenge to revamp your relationship with money and flex your faith.

--Give to God before you pay your bills. If you can't reasonably give 10%, start smaller and work your way up.
--Give regularly as part of your worship. Your attitude is what counts not the size of your gift ( see Mark 12:43-44 ).
--Refuse to incur more debt. Cut up your credit cards. Pay more than the monthly minimum to avoid more interest fees. God wants you to be financially free so that you don't live as a slave to your finances and so that you can have the joy of giving.

God himself is willing for you to put him to the test with tithing - and he has never failed anyone yet.

"Tithing is down 14% in 2001 to 6% in 2002 among born again Christians." - Barna Research Group 2003

"Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, will be poured into your lap." - Luke 6:38

see also:
2 Samuel 24:24
Proverbs 3:9-10
2 Corinthians 9:6-15

I love this very much.
I want to try the challenge!

d i m i r h e x

7,500 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Contentious Fantasy

Shy Lover

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:22 am
Thank you all for the wonderful responses!! They helped very much.

I live with my grandmother and my mother who both tithe. They provide for me, so I guess I don't have to tithe with my money, but like you said in the post above, that I can help with my actions.

Thanks again for the great tips and for helping me understand!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:17 pm
I'd like to suggest a reference, Money, possessions, and eternity. heart  

Hey I am Jan

Quotable Millionaire

Azkeel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:20 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-ifDvbS1fI&feature=player_embedded#!

Oops? Read your bibles my brothers and sisters ^^ Don't let people lead you let our Creator lead you.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:49 am
x_StrawberrySparkles
I hope that's spelled right. Alright, well, my grandmother was watching a show last night and I was in the room, so I ended up listening in. The preacher was talking about tithing and how everyone must do so.
He was saying that even if you're broke you should be giving back to God because by doing so, he will bless you and that you will not be broke for long, because he will help you.
I'm seventeen, I don't have a job and I can't get one. I do get a twenty or a five thrown at me for food and stuff from my parents, but I don't earn anything daily, or weekly.
I want the blessing that God can give, and of course I want to give but what if I don't have enough?
This has been on my mind for a few days now and I'd like to hear what you all have to say.

Hm... Well...

Malachi 3:8 - “Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. “But you ask, ‘How do we rob you?’ “In tithes and offerings."

Tithing is something we are supposed to do. I don't know what you mean necessarily by "giving to the church" but tithing is important...and from the verse I just showed I guess offering is too. Um...yes. In touch circumstances it is important to tithe.

Here's how I see it: You tithe and your blessed in your hard situation. You don't tithe, and you receive the consequences for your disobedience.

I don't know how things with you are now, but I'm sure they're better along with you tithing than if you weren't. Perhaps you're in delayed blessing. Also:

II Corinthians 9:7 - Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

You shouldn't be like: "Ugh! Stupid tithing! I don't want to do this, but whatever!" You should be like: "All right! Yes! I get to tithe! I'm going to do this knowing that God will bless me in the end. I will wait faithfully on Him, as He is faithful."

Malachi 3:10-12 --> "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit,” says the LORD Almighty. “Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land,” says the LORD Almighty.

So um...yeah. Tithe and trust in God. Keep faith and know that He will bless you. smile  

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

Azkeel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:51 pm
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
x_StrawberrySparkles

Hm... Well...

Malachi 3:8 - “Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. “But you ask, ‘How do we rob you?’ “In tithes and offerings."

Tithing is something we are supposed to do. I don't know what you mean necessarily by "giving to the church" but tithing is important...and from the verse I just showed I guess offering is too. Um...yes. In touch circumstances it is important to tithe.

Here's how I see it: You tithe and your blessed in your hard situation. You don't tithe, and you receive the consequences for your disobedience.

I don't know how things with you are now, but I'm sure they're better along with you tithing than if you weren't. Perhaps you're in delayed blessing. Also:

II Corinthians 9:7 - Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

You shouldn't be like: "Ugh! Stupid tithing! I don't want to do this, but whatever!" You should be like: "All right! Yes! I get to tithe! I'm going to do this knowing that God will bless me in the end. I will wait faithfully on Him, as He is faithful."

Malachi 3:10-12 --> "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit,” says the LORD Almighty. “Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land,” says the LORD Almighty.

So um...yeah. Tithe and trust in God. Keep faith and know that He will bless you. smile
You should watch the lesson I just posted. It goes through the scriptures about the tithe.  
Advice ~ because we care

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff