Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Dungeons the Dragoning: 40k: 7th edition: recruiting (3/??) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:10 pm
So I'm trying to put together a game of DtD for my RL playgroup, but having never touched it before, and having not much at all experience behind the screen, I was wondering if anyone around here would be interested in playing a quick an dirty game so i can give it a spin. Right now i'm kinda interested in whether anyone's willing to test the waters at all, specifics of the game will depend on that.

if you're not familiar, the most recent rulebook can be found here for your consideration.

The Pitch:
I'm basically going to use this game as a way to playtest the system, at least at first. It'll be combat oriented, and while I won't specifically try to kill you, I will be trying to see what kills you. That said, I encourage any players to do everything they can to not die and test the limits of their own characters. The game won't be one fight after another, and I'll try to squeeze as much roleplaying out of the situation as I can. If everyone enjoys it, then when I'm done poking, prodding and experimenting with the system, we can break out of the SM sandbox mold and see where the campaign takes us. If anyone who expressed interest is no longer interested, that's fine, no hard feelings. If anyone who's just been eyeballing this thread wants to help a SM out, I'd appreciate it.

The Setup:
To facilitate my stress testing of your asses, we're going to start in a gladiatorial arena setup. Your character has been taken to a massive coliseum and will be forced to fight anything I your captors demand. Escape is a priority, but other combatants and the strange properties of the arena will make that difficult.

Note: the players that have already put p character sheets are free to redistribute points but into backgrounds, skils or anything else they feel wouldn't be particularly useful in the game as presented, but I'd encourage them not to as I'd like to see how regular characters handle what I throw at them, and if we take the game beyond the arena, they'll be quite relevant.

The Characters:
Mongooseh: Eledhrel, farseer in training
Raganui Minamoto: Valkus, Vectronian space marine merc
Mackie the Knife: Bradoc the Rat
Seph Baelzara: Something?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:26 pm
Never heard of it. Still, I'll take a look at the book and see wtf this is (especially since they're using Games Workshop text and you have that 40k...)  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:33 am
Raganui Minamoto
Never heard of it. Still, I'll take a look at the book and see wtf this is (especially since they're using Games Workshop text and you have that 40k...)
they're using a lot of kinds of text. enjoy that trip you're about to go on.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:56 am
I am totally f*cking in.

Laertes Ursus

Vicious Knight

13,050 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Unleash the Beast 100

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:05 am
i'll take a look at the system a little later  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:16 am
Can we get a concept of the universe so I can begin concepting up characters.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:16 am
It's placed in Planescape.

It's *CENSOR* Dark Heresy, DnD, Legend of the Five Rings, and Whitewolf all smashed together. And maybe a few things here and there. I... I don't know what to make of this... I don't even know how to begin working on a character.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:53 am
From the copyright page
Quote:
This is intended as a work of parody and should not be mistaken for a real roleplaying
game.

That being said. I'll take a look and try to figure it out.  

Mackie the Knife

6,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:00 am
Mackie the Knife
From the copyright page
Quote:
This is intended as a work of parody and should not be mistaken for a real roleplaying
game.

That being said. I'll take a look and try to figure it out.

That's their "How we can get away with this" caveat  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:02 am
As a side note character creation is a terrible process as things can and are misworded and it is either damn vague or never mentions certain things.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:00 pm
Mongooseh
As a side note character creation is a terrible process as things can and are misworded and it is either damn vague or never mentions certain things.
chargen is complex, but the one part of the game that's pretty well covered, what parts are you having issues with?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:10 pm
Everything after race, characteristics, skills and exaltation. (Those I've done)

linkles to character  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:17 pm
Mongooseh
Everything after race, characteristics, skills and exaltation. (Those I've done)

linkles to character
next is class. chapter VI details them, you can pick any class you meet the prerequisites for as your first class, which should be one of the level 1 classes. class will determine what you can spend experience on.

then is backgrounds, details are written out on chapter 10 (page 188 of the pdf), but the gist of them is on page 13. putting dots in any background gives you access to things that may help you out in game. allies, backing, contacts, mentor, and followers are all people willing to help you in different capacities. artifacts are magic items, inheritence is mundane items, and wealth is buying power. status and fame are a little less tangible, but they're how well known you are, in different contexts. you get seven dots to spread among them how you wish, taking no background over 3 dots at this point.

then you pick alignment. this is a god you worship, a creed you follow, that kind of thing. the blurbs about the gods give you a vague idea, the more in-depth descriptions of them are in chapter XI, starting on page 195.

the most complex part is the point at which you spend experience. you start with 600xp (700 if you're human) and you can take up to two hindrances for 100 more xp each. page 14 of the pdf has a nice little chart explaining what everything costs in xp. you can only buy assets (unless you're a paragon) and improve backgrounds at chargen, so this is the point to do it. you can also not buy any feats that are not listed in your class or racial feats. otherwise, buy whatever. you don't have to spend all your experience right now, if you'd rather save some for special attacks or spell combos or something that you can't get at chargen, or if you end up with a weird amount, like 50 and nothing to spend it on.

finally you pick one of the equipment packages listed, determine your calculated stats and character details like age and whatnot, and you're done.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:52 pm
How do I get spells?  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:03 pm
Mongooseh
How do I get spells?
each dot you have in a magic school earns you one spell in that school of that level. you can only buy magic schools listed as part of your class.

for example, if you're an apprentice, you can buy one dot in evocation (a new magic school) for 200xp. when you do, you choose any level 1 evocation spell (magic missile or energy burst) that you now know. when you buy a second dot (which you can't do until you're level 2, since magic school ranks are capped at your current level), you pick a level 2 evocation spell (energy grasp or energy ray). all the spells are listed, organized by school, in chapter 8.

the one glaring error i've noticed in that chapter is the conjuration school. One of the level 2 spells, Lesser Servant, is formatted awkward to make it look like part of Blink, but it is a separate spell.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff