Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Is anyone here against fishing? /whooo went fishing today xD Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jeeed

Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:19 pm
I told my friend I went fishing, and she went off on me. Never seen her so mad, lol. Do you guys think fishing is inhumane if you're doing it just for fun? If so, why do you think that? Anyone else here like to fish?

anddd just to tell you guys about today out of boredom, i caught a bunch of huge carp, about 25-35 inches each, a few white perch, and two bass. Got a bowfin on the line but it snapped the hook off sad I also netted a few grass shrimp to stick in my aquarium. Didn't eat anything but the perch, though.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:47 pm
I think its horrible. I used to do it before i knew much about fish, but since keeping them and researching about their care i stopped probably back in 2003. The stress on them isn't good, when you grab them to remove the hook you are removing their slimecoat and opening them up to disease. When a fish swallows the hook its death for the fish. Fish have a central nervous system and respond to negative stimuli and i feel that its painful for the fish to be hooked.  

ladycrotalus

Sparkly Gekko

7,225 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:06 pm
[♫=♥]

I'm not against fishing at all. I do it for fun & food. The carp is destroying our lakes by eating all the food and leaving nothing for the native fish! We have to over fish those ******** out of our territory to save our native fish. Some of our native fish are becoming endangered!

Fishing is great as long as you are not driving a species into extinction.

One time a large fish took my fishing hook. It was strong and fast! gonk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:14 pm
Fishing is pretty much along the lines of hunting. It's not very good for the critter to kill it, obviously, but at times you need to fish in order to control invasive species, like what Jiti said, and other times you just fish to have fun (and maybe even get some food to eat). I have no issue with hunting to control invasive species, and neither do I have issues with hunting for purely recreational purposes, so on the same page I also have no issues with fishing. It is cruel to a degree, yes, but you could argue the same for hunting, trapping, and the eating of domestic animals.

However, I'd just want to note, if someone is against hunting for recreational purposes, I really do not understand how that same person could be pro- recreational fish too. Like what Lady Crotalus said, even doing catch-and-release is stressful and dangerous to the individual fish, not being too far off from just outright killing and eating it. How is killing a fish, which is a vertebrate animal, purely for fun any different than killing a deer, which is also a vertebrate animal, for fun? There is no difference to me.  

Moth Feathers

Familiar Poster

5,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Flatterer 200

Jeeed

Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:17 pm
ladycrotalus
I think its horrible. I used to do it before i knew much about fish, but since keeping them and researching about their care i stopped probably back in 2003. The stress on them isn't good, when you grab them to remove the hook you are removing their slimecoat and opening them up to disease. When a fish swallows the hook its death for the fish. Fish have a central nervous system and respond to negative stimuli and i feel that its painful for the fish to be hooked.
I can see where you're coming from. I'll admit I'm not the nicest person when I fish. I rarely throw a fish back in the water... I either use it as bait and/or cut off its head to hang in the tree out front to keep the neighbors' kids from climbing it, lol. That's what I do with the carp. D: Also, I'm not sure, as I'm not a scientist (nowhere near) but I keep hearing conflicting things about fishes' ability to feel pain D:  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:52 pm

I believe fish feel pain. They go into shock when they have significant damage to their bodies, why go into shock if you can't feel it?

I do like fishing though, and so do most of my other fish keeping friends. There are plenty of good reasons to fish besides eating them, as others have mentioned.

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

MyouMegami

7,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Clambake 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:49 pm
I don't mind fishing as long as you have some other benefit for doing so rather than just sport.
Not that any of that is in my mind when I fish. I'm always well aware I won't catch anything. xD It's just a time for family bonding with me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:11 pm
In general I actually feel a little uneasy about it, mostly because I was once told that you can use a chunk of meat and a large hook on a rope dangling from a tree to catch foxes...that concept disturbed me and I figured it isn't much different for the fish. I fish occasionally, generally for carp as there is no size limit on those and I don't like the whole catch and release thing...injures them too badly.

I think I'll just stick with hunting and trapping. Way more control over the variables that determine whether the animal suffers or not.

That being said, I would LOVE to learn how to tickle trout. Guess I'm just not entirely comfortable with the whole hooks thing as I wouldn't do it to a fox or rabbit.  

Skeksis

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:27 pm
Skeksis

That being said, I would LOVE to learn how to tickle trout.

0.0 What is?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:31 pm
Vanilla eXee
Skeksis

0.0 What is?

An old poacher's trick; basically by carefully rubbing the belly of a trout it can be sent into a 'trance' and then easily lifted from the water by hand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trout_tickling  

Skeksis

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:34 pm
Skeksis
Vanilla eXee
Skeksis

0.0 What is?

An old poacher's trick; basically by carefully rubbing the belly of a trout it can be sent into a 'trance' and then easily lifted from the water by hand.

Oh my goodness, if I knew about this it would have been 10x easier to remove the bully trout from the trout tank. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:48 pm
I am not exactly AGAINST fishing or hunting, though I feel a little better about it when it is done for food than sport. And I am not personally comfortable fishing or hunting myself.  

Kipluck
Crew

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

ladycrotalus

Sparkly Gekko

7,225 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:58 am
If you are gonna eat everything that you catch fine. There is no way though to not catch only the invasive species, every time you fish you inevitably catch a native fish and even though you throw it back, you are still injuring it. With hunting the death to the animal is quick with a well place bullet or arrow. With fishing the poor fish is fighting for its life for sometimes a long time.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:13 am
Honestly, I hate fishing and hunting both. I understand its purpose and completely agree that it's much more humane to kill an animal by hunting than the typical ways animals are slaughtered in modern meat markets, but I don't understand how people can get excited to kill something or drag an innocent fish around with a hook through its mouth....

Hunting at least is more humane for those animals taken down by skilled people - pretty quick death. Fish seem to have the options of being dragged by a hook or dragged up in a net - and it's rather unusual in my experience for fishers to kill the fish right away. They usually either leave it suffocating in the open air or in an inadequate tub of water or, if they feel like killing a large sport fish, bludgeoning it over the head. It's just messed up to me.

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:20 am
Skeksis
Vanilla eXee
Skeksis

0.0 What is?

[♫=♥]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff