Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
[L5R 3eR] The Five Leaves. (Recruiting 4/5) Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:05 pm
What is the game about?

The game is about a group of criminals doing what they do best without getting into trouble. That would be extorting, kidnapping, stealing, fighting, bribing, money lending and finally trying to become the most powerful criminal organisation in the city without getting wiped out in the process by other gangs. You start off as a small group with territory of a small stretch of street and your headquarters is a friends tavern where you frequent all the time when you aren't busy being a criminal.

Setting?

The world Legend of the five rings is set in of course but since you are not samurai for the most part a lot of it is irrelevant so it'd be better to say unless you attract samurai attention it would pretty much just be edo era japan.

Character creation!

#45 Point buy
#No clan, families or schools allowed (Unless they are ronin schools).
#Ronins are allowed as long as they are no family Ronin.
#WARNING: RONIN PLAYERS WILL GET HASSLED ALOT YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
#Disadvantages and advantages are allowed but will be scrutinised for samurai specific ones. Example: Bitter betrothal would be one because who gives a s**t who you are married to as a citizen?
#I will assign gear as I see relevant. Requests can still be made.
#Non ronin characters will be allowed a +1 in one trait to compensate for lack of a school bonus.
#Also non ronin characters can choose five skills to be their "school" skills which they get the first rank free in.

Please post links to character or post them in this thread if you so wish.

Characters!

Sadatane

Garus

Kisho

Yuichi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:09 pm
Hrrm...

*Registers interest*  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:41 pm
KHRONEZERKER!  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:10 am
Huzzah  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:12 pm
For your perusal, Sadatane!

http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=21418169  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:13 pm
I am interested in this game, but i am brand new to the system and i am a bit confused...if one isn't allowed to have clan, family, or school, how do i go about making character as choosing all of those is the first part of character creation....i have thought about making a monk...but that kinda defeats the purpose of being a criminal.

I also would like to have a disadvantage of being insane....but not destructive insane, more along the lines of a combination of Beautiful Mind, and Silence of the Lambs insane. Bonkers, yes, but still able to function....but i haven't really found the equivalent disadvantage...  

Vorastrix

Hilarious Sage

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:20 am
Vorastrix
I am interested in this game, but i am brand new to the system and i am a bit confused...if one isn't allowed to have clan, family, or school, how do i go about making character as choosing all of those is the first part of character creation....i have thought about making a monk...but that kinda defeats the purpose of being a criminal.

I also would like to have a disadvantage of being insane....but not destructive insane, more along the lines of a combination of Beautiful Mind, and Silence of the Lambs insane. Bonkers, yes, but still able to function....but i haven't really found the equivalent disadvantage...

I'll address your concerns one by one.

Being a part of a clan and school in original character creation is assuming you're going to be a samurai. So in this game only ronin's have access to schools. I will and have house ruled it that anyone who isn't a ronin gets to choose their trait increase and own "school" skills.

If you want to make some sort of hand to hand combat master just take ranks in jiu jutsu and maybe the hands of stone advantage.

There's a reason why there isn't an advantage like that because insanity would be taken as shadowland taint most likely. So just take the more expensive version of anti-social and just generally chain together personality disadvantages.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:56 am
Here's an online character sheet I made for my L5R game: X  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:52 am
Player: Rain Yupa
Name: Kisho
Clan: Peasant
School: None
Insight: 125
Experience: 0/0
Glory: 0.5
Honor: 0.5
Taint: 0.0
Heritage: None

EARTH: 2
  • Stamina: 2
  • Willpower: 2

WATER: 3
  • Strength: 3
  • Perception: 3

FIRE: 2
  • Agility: 2
  • Intelligence: 3

AIR: 2
  • Reflexes: 2
  • Awareness: 3

VOID: 2
  • Void: 2
  • Current Void Points: 2/2

SKILLS
Battle (Perception) - [None] - 1
Commerce (Awareness) - [None] - 1
Defense (Agility) - [None] - 1
Etiquette (Awareness) - [None] - 1
Spears (Agility) - [None] - 1

Calligraphy (Intelligence) - [Cipher] - 1
Courtier (Awareness) - [None] - 1
*Deceit (Awareness) - [None] - 1
*Forgery (Intelligence) - [None] - 1
*Games: Fortunes & Winds (Awareness) - [None] - 1
Knives (Agility) - [None] - 1
*Lore: Underworld (Intelligence) - [None] - 1
Medicine (Intelligence) - [None] - 1
*Poison (Intelligence) - [None] - 1
*Sleight of Hand (Agility) - [None] - 1

MASTERY ABILITIES
None

ADVANTAGES
Crafty (6 points) - Your Rank in all Low Skills is considered 1 higher.*
Cipher: Underworld (1 point) - Fluent in the code used in the seedy underworld of Rokugan.

DISADVANTAGES
Dark Secret (5 points) - Abandoned position in the Lion ashigaru army.
Sworn Enemy (3 points) - Rank+1 Akodo officer intent on tracking down the traitor.
Nemesis (2 points) - He REALLY wants this deserter dead.

TECHNIQUES, SPELLS, KATA, KIHO, SHADOWLANDS POWERS
None

EQUIPMENT/CURRENCY
7 bu, 30 zeni.

Tanto
Clothes
Bottle of Sake
Wooden Chest
Empty Bottle
Coin Purse
Dice and Dice Cup
Sake Cup
Shovel
Mask
Medicine kit (50/50)

COMBAT
Weapons
Yari - Attack: 3k2 - Damage: 5k2
Tanto - Attack: 3k2 - Damage: 4k1

Armor
TNtbH: 12
Modifiers = Defense 1 (+2)

Initiative
2k2

Wounds
HEALTHY (+0): 4/4
NICKED (+3): 1/4
GRAZED (+5): 0/4
HURT (+10): 0/4
INJURED (+15): 0/4
CRIPPLED (+20): 0/4
DOWN (+40): 0/4
OUT (+N/A): 0/10

DESCRIPTION
Kisho stands a little less than average height for an adult male (4'10"), in his early 20's. He has bright, darkly colored eyes, which dwarf his smaller features, such as his nose and mouth. He has auburn hair, cut short and slicked back, giving him a 'spiky' appearance. He's in shape, very well toned, though he is still small of build.

BACKGROUND
Kisho was a former ashigaru soldier of the Lion Clan, like his father, his brothers, his uncles (both maternal and paternal), and both grandfathers. As such, he's the only one still alive, the rest of the men in his family killed by the Lion Clan's constant warmongering. Kisho always fancied himself a bright person, and he saw this as good of a sign to get out as any, lest the Fortunes see it wise to completely wipe out his family's lineage. So, in the last major battle he was in, he snuck off in the heat of battle, deserting his duty and obligations to the Lion.

Deciding to seek harbor in Rokugan's second largest city, Kisho decides to put down the path of the mindless brute and to see if he can set himself up in a more lucrative career, such as the trade and selling of opium and other illegal substances in the city's seedy underground. Over the course of a year, he's gotten his foot in the door, but still has a long way to climb to make anything of himself.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:59 am
Item requisition:

Tanto
Clothes
Bottle of Sake
Wooden Chest
Empty Bottle
Coin Purse
Dice and Dice Cup
Sake Cup
Shovel
Mask
Medicine kit. Or possibly, a "medicine" kit.

Some monies.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:02 am
All approved.

2 koku are your current savings.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:14 pm
...n'kay, two more questions

I kinda liked the idea of a blind monk, (or just blind hand-to-hand fighter) but i couldn't really see any advantages that counter-balanced the dis-advantage....but i was hoping perhaps you could point some out for me if they existed...

I was also thinking about being a spellcaster, but that seemed exclusive to Shugenja, unless i could possibly gain access without being the school..?  

Vorastrix

Hilarious Sage

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:23 pm
There's ronin schools for shugenja's and no if you're blind you are blind. If you do it you will be severely crippled throughout the game.

Edit: Nowhere did I also say I was allowing monk schools.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:10 pm
Yeah, Ronin Shugenja is going to be the only source of spellcasting available to us, short of maho. And I'd rather not go down that route if I can help it. It'll attract waaaay too many jade magistrates down on us like nuclear warheads.

Monk schools would be inappropriate, because they gain their monk-like abilities (Kiho) through years of sacrifice, study, meditation, and contemplation. Any monk-like characters in this would mainly just be knocking skulls, and not very righteous, and thus, probably Kiho-less.

You could easily be a former monk, who sought enlightenment but found nothing, so are more interested in more worldly concerns. Lots of Jiujutsu, Agility, and Void will still make you a decent "monk", even if you aren't a Monk.

I'm building my character like a courtier, though I'm not. I'm just a d00d.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:24 pm
Yeah. I have a feeling you'll want the Ronin militant shugenja. They gain free raises for casting spells on themselves and are more combat oriented than the other two groups.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff