Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
New Person Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Midnight_Euphomy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:23 pm
Hey everyone, my name is Song Riter227, I go by Song or David.

I'm new to D&D, and haven't played before but alot of my friends play (and refuse to teach me) so i wanted to learn how so that way I can play with them and even with you guys. So if anyone could help me with that, I'm a very quick learner but i just can't sit and read rules all day I need to see examples and such so thats why I came here. That and because you guys are all awesome.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:11 pm
Hey, we might refuse to teach you too, and that wouldn't make us awesome. Hold off on the flattery, its too early for that wink

My concern is that you might not WANT to game with people who refuse to help you learn. I'd personally be turned off by that. But it's your prerogative.

First off, what edition do your friends play, so we know what to teach you?  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Southern Cross Nemesis rolled 1 20-sided dice: 6 Total: 6 (1-20)

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:17 pm
I don't like to be awesome. xp Take it back or the only bit of advise I will give is in 4e and 3.x the 20 sided dice (also known as d20) is king and the dungeon master is a god. You will live and die, depending on how one or the other feel about you.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:35 pm
Song Riter227
Hey everyone, my name is Song Riter227, I go by Song or David.

I'm new to D&D, and haven't played before but alot of my friends play (and refuse to teach me) so i wanted to learn how so that way I can play with them and even with you guys. So if anyone could help me with that, I'm a very quick learner but i just can't sit and read rules all day I need to see examples and such so thats why I came here. That and because you guys are all awesome.

It isn't too terribly difficult to learn. It seems overwhelming at first, but after reading through the Player's Handbook a few times, you should be able to get the hang of it.

What does matter, though, is what version you're playing. 3.5 and 4 are two very different versions of the same game.  

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Midnight_Euphomy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:16 am
@ Dion: They has 3.5.

@Nemesis: I know about the DM and the 20 sided. apparently they make you very happy and out of nowhere anally rape with with a knobbed stick.

@Rain: Indeed most people wouldn't want to game with people who wouldn't teach them, but when I get good enough i plan to beat them at their own game. That and I like to turn the other cheek and give everyone a second chance. But its mostly the first reason.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:47 am
No better way to learn than just read the book and then use the knowledge.

If you want I can run a short campaign for you to learn. I will also take others on this campaign if they wish.  

Alzzak

Midnight_Euphomy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:05 am
I'm reading the said book as we speak, and its.... interesting how much is based on a dice roll.

And if you did start a small campaign to help me get the hang of it that would be great, I just need help with creating a character for the first time as its still rather confusing.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:20 am
My advice is to go through the classes, and pick one that seems interesting enough for you to want to play. And study everything you can that would help that class. What it does, what feats it should learn, what spells it might be able to cast.

If Alzzak does run for you, do your best to learn your character's abilities. Its a lot less overwhelming that way.

If you're still unsure, make a Human Fighter. Can't go wrong with the basics.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Midnight_Euphomy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:32 am
Well, I'm checking out this Wizard class and Sorcerer. And I really like them but its weird trying to figure all this out. I dont know, maybe it just comes from practice?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:35 am
Yeah, nearly every thing in the game is based of rolls of die. Though the fun part is roleplaying off of those rolls.

N1 spot,

Throk looks down at his feat and notices he stepped in s**t. "Ah, man. I just bought these too." he doesn't notice the bear that is coming straight for him.

Character creation is easy, some people change the order but basically

Stats, this can change from dm to dm. Some want you to use point buy, other wish you to use an array, or just roll.
If needed I will explain; array and point buy later
For now we will deal with rolls.
The book says, roll 4d6 6 times.  

Alzzak

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:39 am
Actually, it kinda does.

There's the six attributes that you already know about. Wizards want as high Intelligence (or Int) as possible, because it makes them cast more spells, and makes his spells harder to resist. Sorcerers use Charisma (or Cha) in the same fashion.

Wizards can effectively have EVERY spell if they wanted; they get some per level up, but otherwise, they can scribe spells from scrolls into their spellbook. However, they must prepare spells from their spellbook every morning. So when you have 10 different spells to cause damage, and you can only cast 5 spells of that level, you have to pick and choose which ones you think you will need that day. Sometimes, that means picking one spell multiple times.

Sorcerers are more versatile. They know a LOT less spells, but they don't have to worry about preparing them. Once they know a spell, they can cast that spell at any time (up to the maximum number of spells of that level per day, of course). However, their limited knowledge means you have limited spells you can choose from when you level up, and you'll never get any more than that.

Also, there are certain feats called Metamagic Feats, which work better for wizards than sorcerers. A feat, such as Still Spell (lets you ignore somatic components, so you can cast it while tied up, lets say) makes the spell count as a higher level (one higher level, to be exact). So you prepare a Still Magic Missle (level 2 spell) ahead of time, and cast it as the new level. Sorcerers apply metamagic feats on the spot, but it takes more time to cast the spell because of it; in addition, they cannot use Metamagic Feats that speed up the spellcasting process.

Personally, I prefer sorcerers over wizards, because I hate being unprepared for a situation (a risk you take with wizards). But a wizard who focuses on a school typically is better at it than a sorcerer who focuses on the same school. It really boils down to Versatility vs. Technique.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:41 am
So I would roll the dice and how would i apply if I got say:

4 1 2 1
5 1 2 3
6 1 1 3
3 2 2 4
2 2 1 5
6 1 4 5

Because I'm understanding the bits about spellbooks and such and preparing spells, but the part about Stats and modifiers is killing me. (I didn't do very well in math class as you can probably infer)

And I'm most likely going with Sorcerer, because I like spears alot better than quarter staffs. I also think that mages shouldn't get crossbows, that throws the badass meter off the scales.  

Midnight_Euphomy

Alzzak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:50 am
That is fine, this game will at least help you with basic math.

Then you take you rolls and drop the lowest one and add the rest.

4 1 2 1
5 1 2 3
6 1 1 3
3 2 2 4
2 2 1 5
6 1 4 5

and add the rest.

4+1+2=7
5+2+3=10
So on and so forth.

then you place arrange the sums in the six attributes, Rain mentioned.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:54 am
Song Riter227
And I'm most likely going with Sorcerer, because I like spears alot better than quarter staffs. I also think that mages shouldn't get crossbows, that throws the badass meter off the scales.

Anyone can use a spear or quarter staff, that is what is call a weapon group. Their are three groups,
Simple: Almost everyone can used weapons from this group. (dagger, spear, quarter staff, crossbow)
Martial: Military weapons, Warrior classes can draw from this group (Swords maces hammers, axes, etc)
Exotic: Any weapon from this group has to take a special feat to use. (whips, nets)  

Alzzak

Midnight_Euphomy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:10 pm
Downloading D&D Online so maybe that might help me with practice. Going to finish downloading and figure out how everything works again. The book made little sense to me so maybe this will.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff