Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Games That I'm Not Going to Run Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:44 pm
I come up with new campaign ideas all the time. Naturally, I really don't have the time to run them all, and even then I realize that I might not be able to maintain my own interest long enough to keep the game entertaining. But I thought I could list them here in case the idea seeds interest in another DM.

A newer-edition Planescape Game, perhaps the DM could incentivize more exotic planar races by giving a small point boost to stats, or to grant a low-cost magic item.

Castlevania: 2010. Dracula's mysterious castle has manifested once again in the center of a major city, carrying with it echoes of the time periods it had imposed itself on. The elite party of demonslayers and vampire hunters can venture inside to hack their way to the Prince of Darkness himself! This can work easily with straight D&D rules, so long as you allow for firearms in the most basic sense. There's a lot of mythos in the game series to support all types of heroes.

Trapped in the Abyss, the party has awakened along with the others in their town to find everything in ruins, the skies are gray and foreboding and demons constantly raid the town. Possible to spin this as a modern town that finds itself suffused with magic suddenly. The threats come not only from the monsters outside, but from villagers within trying to gain security at any cost (a la The Mist). This is all ultimately a reference to the Demon Prince Oublivae in 4e's Demonomicon, but don't tell your players that!

Hellworld Awesome - 1952 is the year the Gateway to Hell opened up and the world fell apart. Demons, witches, and the living dead turned a once-beautiful nation into a series of citystates, each doing what they must to kick the devil's a** and take his name. Players can master medieval weaponry and harness the power of magic, or they can tune up their Firebird and gun down some Hellspawn on the ruined highways of America. Another game that would beg firearms stats for 4e, but crossbows can be reflavored if need be.

Eberron - Barbarians of the Wastes. Born deep the the Demon Wastes, you are a member of one of the few tribes that resist the Carrior Tribes. You seek only to live in your own ways, independent of the murderous fiend-touched warlords and the zealous Ghaash'Kala orcs who rule the Labyrinth. Maybe you're a citizen of Khorvaire, a survivor of a crash-landed airship, or a Tharashk scout. In any case, it's a miserable hellscape you live in. Feels more like Dark Sun than Eberron.

Heck, just a Dark Sun game would be cool.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:05 pm
I'd love a Darksun game. Just the feel of the setting, the fact that (at least in 2e and 3e versions) the commoners were level 3 because of how hard it was to even survive... add in the feel of skinning enemies, mixing and matching armors, crafting weapons from whatever you can find. And the super artifacts you can find in DS, like the Darkflame sword. Fun times.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:44 pm
I know someone with a plethora of Castlevania lore, I could get him to help me run said type of game. Although I don't know if 2010 is the right era, it may be too close to Soma's antics. Being that he'd be born in 7 more years. This could probably easily be run in the D20 Modern setting with just a bit of modification. The only thing I wouldn't know how to do, mechanically, is some of the magic. Unless we want to keep it out of the Belmont's hands.

I'd enjoy a Dark*Sun in the 3.X system.
Or Ravenloft.
Or a Midnight I'd love the DM forever.

I think I've seen rules for Planescape for 3.X floating some wheres on the interwebs.

My main and only real problem is I can hold a story like a Vogan can write poetry.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:55 pm
Seph Baelzara
I know someone with a plethora of Castlevania lore, I could get him to help me run said type of game. Although I don't know if 2010 is the right era, it may be too close to Soma's antics. Being that he'd be born in 7 more years. This could probably easily be run in the D20 Modern setting with just a bit of modification. The only thing I wouldn't know how to do, mechanically, is some of the magic. Unless we want to keep it out of the Belmont's hands.

I'd enjoy a Dark*Sun in the 3.X system.
Or Ravenloft.
Or a Midnight I'd love the DM forever.

I think I've seen rules for Planescape for 3.X floating some wheres on the interwebs.

My main and only real problem is I can hold a story like a Vogan can write poetry.

Castlevania really demands a more fantasy-themed system, regardless of when the game is set. It's all magic of different types and weapons, only a few of the games have firearms at all and then their function is inferior than would be expected. Even so, d20 modern rules could easily add the weapons to a D&D 3x game.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:58 pm
D20 Arcana exists.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Raganui Minamoto
D20 Arcana exists.

Are you referring to Urban Arcana? It is indeed more fantasy in an urban setting, but I would still argue it's lower fantasy than Castlevania. D&D isn't far from the types of options Castlevania heroes have access to.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:03 pm
Hm... What if it was Gestalt'd between D&D 3.X and D20 Modern? Would that satisfy the necessities?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:10 pm
Arc Vembris
A newer-edition Planescape Game, perhaps the DM could incentivize more exotic planar races by giving a small point boost to stats, or to grant a low-cost magic item.
i really want to run a game like this, maybe sprinkling some spelljammer into the mix, but can't actually think of more than vague beginnings for a story for it, that i'm not confident I could spin into more than one or two adventures.

DMing's hard. gonk  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:28 pm
SporkMaster5000

DMing's hard. gonk

This statement is the most true statement ever.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:31 pm
Amen to that.

I've found it to be infinitely harder to keep something going via PbP than it is IRL.  

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:51 pm
Heck, it's easier to run something online real time via IRC or one of the tabletop programs than play by post, since in PBP it's slower and you have to wait for people, which makes some people loose interest.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:52 pm
Given my being a castlevania fan, i'd LOVE to run a campaign set in 1999 involving NPCs simply known as Julius, Yoko, and Genya.  

Ariel Yardena Davidson

Questionable Firestarter

25,500 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200

mcm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:53 pm
I find myself on the Castlevania boat. eek  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:00 pm
It'd depend on system for me.

I'd say Ravenloft would be a good book to help run a Castlevania game, since Ravenloft is very similar.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:14 pm
Could almost run a mesh of D20 modern, with a mist-like entrance much akin to Ravenloft's own signature kind. It's been known to intermingle with multiple planes, so why not our own, I do not know.

The mechanics are there, it's just a matter of meshing X into Y to create Z. And at most times, Y is an optional factor.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff