Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Any Topic Guild

Back to Guilds

I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
Should women be required to cover their breasts in public? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should woman be granted the freedom to be topless in public?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Ogyshi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:12 pm
As you are all well aware, it is illegal for woman to show nipples in most public spaces. But isn't that kind of silly? I mean, what's so disturbing about them? I can understand certain reasons why male and female bits between their legs must be covered up, because they are used to have sex (Oooo naughty), but a woman's breast's biological function is to nurture babies (...naughty?). Why must they be treated this way and a man's breast not, when it's the female breast that is serving a greater good? Opinions? Thoughts? Should this law be revoked?

For an extended discussion, what if a man gets a sex change? Is it then fair to prohibit her from showing her breasts just because they are a little more plump now?

Women must get jealous that, unlike them, men have the freedom to show off their hot, sculpted chests in public if they so find it comfortable and post them on PG13 websites... like this:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
*drool*

My discussion comes down to this. Would you be offended or disgusted if women are now allowed to walk past you on the street bare-breasted? Would it do you any harm? I'll leave it at that for now.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:30 pm
Because undoubtedly, men will be aroused. And the possibility of some of those men having intentions of taking matters into their own hands and causing trouble.

I'd see it as a way to keep women safe.

Another reason, that I don't really care for is public decency. Well, actually, I could be offended or disgusted by ugly breasts. Or should I say chest. The same goes for men without a top. A few places where I'd find them acceptable or where the law cannot apply are public baths [if we have 'em] water parks/beaches/other areas where less clothing is acceptable.

And of course, some of us just don't want to be viewing other people's bodies or have them in view. And certain breasts benefit from being covered and supported anyway.

So...

Safety issue
Decency issue [breastfeeding in public is a non-issue for me]
Possible moral issue [depending on the breasts' owner's reasons for exposure]

On another note, I'm not very sure why it's just the n****e being the focal point [haha] for censorship. I should say the whole breast be censored? Why only that one area? It's a n****e use for feeding, when milk is being produced. When not used for feeding, it's just a harmless n****e.

The forbidden fruit mentality could be working against us. Possibly make those things more tempting and arousing than if it were just a part of daily life.

OH well.  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

YunieCookie

Silent Star

17,250 Points
  • Married 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:56 pm
Where I'm from (Ontario), it actually is legal.
Most people don't take advantage of it, though. Honestly, I've never seen a woman/girl/lady/female pronoun wandering around topless like a guy would. It's just one of those cultural things.

However, I do think it's silly that guys can walk around with a bare chest and women can't.
:/
Especially considering how many nasty old-man-boobies I've had to see in the summer.

IMO, either everyone should be allowed to go topless, or no one should.
I also agree with Jaft that it could perhaps be localized to only areas where it typical to have less clothing on. That makes a lot of sense.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:12 pm
I do believe it's technically legal here as well, although I've never heard of any ladies walking around topless. Personally, I see no problem with it, although it sounds rather uncomfortable.

I doubt it's something most people would take advantage of here, since the city is chilly and foggy during the summer, and just plain cool or cold the rest of the year. razz

Breast-feeding in public is legal pretty much everywhere, and aside from the odd over-zealous individual who decides to play Decency Police, I don't think anyone really has an issue with it.  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

aretoo
Crew

5,500 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:25 pm
Ohmigawsh, HI Ogyshi! Long time, no see!

I've always thought it a stupid double standard; I think that all should be able to go topless, if they wish. I think if people (well, females) would go topless much the same way guys do, it would pretty much be a non-issue in a generation or so.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 pm
I think nobody should run around half naked in public, personally. I am just as offended by a man walking down the street without his clothes on as I am by a woman walking down the street wearing only underwear above the waist. And if you're going to wear only a bra, and a totally non-supportive one at that, why bother? Nipples schmipples. Places where being half-naked is acceptable for either gender include beaches, swimming pools, and residential yards.

In some places, it is perfectly normal for women to go about bare-breasted, but scandalous for them to show their legs.  

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

Ogyshi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:07 pm
Pardon my nakedness. I'm currently trying to get the nudist colony achievement over then in the achievement forum and it's not working out well. Anyway...

Jaft
Because undoubtedly, men will be aroused. And the possibility of some of those men having intentions of taking matters into their own hands and causing trouble.

I understand that. But it would always be the woman's choice what she wears. Just like it's a woman's choice to wear short skirts at night in a dark alley - possibly unsafe but perfectly legal in my neighborhood. If I were a woman I probably wouldn't want to be topless outside, but I would still wouldn't want to be prohibited from it.

I do think this taboo has the effect of making boobies more attractive to men, and is partly to blame for that.

YunieCookie
However, I do think it's silly that guys can walk around with a bare chest and women can't.
:/
Especially considering how many nasty old-man-boobies I've had to see in the summer.

Ahaha. I know! ew! xp

This is slightly awkward for me. I don't normally talk about or visualize women's chests. The first time I've seen real live boobies was in a play... she just... wiped them out. It was shocking and reassured me of my sexuality. So I certainly understand the argument people are making of public decency on the street, because admit-ably I would have a hard time adjusting to it as well.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:35 pm
FUNNIEST s**t EVER! xp
Just sayin' wink  

Zena Ashira

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:11 pm
Jaft

On another note, I'm not very sure why it's just the n****e being the focal point [haha] for censorship. I should say the whole breast be censored? Why only that one area? It's a n****e use for feeding, when milk is being produced. When not used for feeding, it's just a harmless n****e.

Yes! Seriously! What the hell? I've never understood why they can show an entire breast on tv...as long as they cover the n****e. gonk

Of course....I was also the kid in elementary school who kept asking why the middle finger was offensive and laughed at the people who told me it was. :B So I guess it just never makes sense to me why society chooses to label certain things as "innapropriate" and other things "perfectly acceptable"

On the topic of breasts though, I don't think it would matter if women always covered them or left them flapping in the breeze, I think they'd be attractive to men anyway. All animal species have some feature which they use to attract mates. So really, it doesn't matter if breasts are milk sacks. Feathers keep birds warm, but birds think that feathers are sexy. So...yeah.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:01 pm
Jaft

I only disagree with the safety issue because it probably wouldn't make a difference. Haven't you heard the stories of women being sexually harassed on cramped subway trips? The most brazen guys will probably fondle anything that appears female and human to them.

Jaft
The forbidden fruit mentality could be working against us. Possibly make those things more tempting and arousing than if it were just a part of daily life.

I would agree with this entirely though. Look at the internet. It's at least 90% boobs.

I remember the shock value of nudity and privates flew out the window in life drawing after a few days when it was commonplace. In non-western tribal cultures where nudity is prevalent it's a non-issue. The "horrors" of breast exposure is a western thing.

Anyhow, my stance on it is either nobody has to cover up, or everybody does.  

Phaeton

pickle relish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:08 pm
Hehe. After taking my Psychology of Gender course this year, I have a lot to say about this. biggrin

It's not indecent for women to walk around with their breasts exposed. They do in a lot of tropical cultures, and men are not in a constant state of sexual arousal. Because the breast is seen so often there, it isn't as important sexually. If women were allowed to walk around topless here, eventually breasts would lose their sexual meaning.

For another thing, stressing the differences between men and women is a way to keep women subjugated. Women not being allowed to show their breasts because of their sexual nature is a bit like Muslim women being covered completely except their eyes because they're "so alluring that men simply can't resist them."

As for rape, it wouldn't be because men are constantly aroused. Rape is rarely a crime done for sexual reasons. It is done for power, for men to demonstrate power over women (and sometimes other men, as well). In fact, after people got used to women showing their breasts, rape would most likely decrease, as it would be another step towards equality for women, and societies where men and women are equal have the lowest rates of rape (and the United States has the highest rate in the industrialized world. What does that say?). Sure, it would probably go up initially, as a sort of indignant response to women who don't "know their place." But "protecting" women implies inequality as well. Women should be able to wear what they want when and where they want without fearing rape.

As for my person opinion on it, sure there are times when I would rather not see breasts. But I also don't particularly like seeing men without shirts, either, or obese people wearing revealing clothing. That doesn't mean they don't have the right to wear what they want.

Aaaaaand I think that's it.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:29 am
I don't think it's so much women 'can't' show their boobs (apart from the ilegality in some places of course). It's more the whole reaction it would cause for men, wether or not it would go away with time as pickles theorises is another story.

*Has trouble finding his words* Uhm, like it's not that its a "EVIL BAD HTING DONT DO IT" it's more it'd just cause some pretty crazy reaction in men. Just imagine all the car accidents! xD And I'm sure most women wouldn't appreciate being oogled even more.

I disagree with pickles on the whole "the breast is seen so often there, it isn't as important sexually." at least in it working for other cutures like ours. Sure if every woman suddenly decided not to wear any tops it might, but that wouldn't happen. so the small number of women doing so wouldn't in my opinion significantly affect how breasts are viewed.

I don't think women get the same out of loooking at a man's chest as dude get looking at girls either. Plus most guys bare torsos are either Ewww, or I immediately think of them as a tool.  

Surazal Dloc

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:52 am
Surazal Dloc
I don't think women get the same out of loooking at a man's chest as dude get looking at girls either.

Says you. Male chests, backs, and bellies = teh secks. A man's naked torso is extremely arousing. More so than his funny looking junk, that's for sure.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:11 am
Kalstolyn
Surazal Dloc
I don't think women get the same out of loooking at a man's chest as dude get looking at girls either.

Says you. Male chests, backs, and bellies = teh secks. A man's naked torso is extremely arousing. More so than his funny looking junk, that's for sure.

So Kals, what you are saying is, is that girls are not desensitised women to it? Therefore women with their boobies out will not desensitise men also? I totally get that I am not a woman there fore cannot really speak for all women when I said that about the bare chests boobs thing.

Also the whole n****e thing amuses me. Women will wear the skimpiest swimsuits avaliable, and as long as it doesn't show the n****e its all good xD Yet also if you were to say walk in a on a girl who was in her underwear and getting changed she'd flip out at you more often than not xD  

Surazal Dloc

invisible-weirdo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:34 am
YunieCookie
IMO, either everyone should be allowed to go topless, or no one should.

Pretty much this. Yes.

Making it illegal seems pretty silly, but even if we were to legalize it, I doubt it would change things. Assuming that enough of the female population were to embrace toplessness, then yes, I'm sure we'd eventually be desensitized, but I just don't think that enough women would be ok with running around with nothing on above the waist. I think of it as one of those cultural things that's just so ingrained into our being.

Obviously, the Western ideals of decency have certainly changed over time, so perhaps some time in the future we'd be ok with it. But right here (i.e., my physical location *living in a red state. Again*) and right now, I don't see it happening.

Also, ewwwww icky man boobs.

[/babble]

Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas