Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
(D20 Modern) Hell on Mars Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Slave Xaccheus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:10 pm
[ Character Sheets ]

More characters to be added if more people want in.

[ Premise/Foreword ]

This was inspired mainly by Doom 3, which is where the scary demons, the fact that we're on mars, and the job opportunities are based. Certain parts were also inspired by the Alien series, which you will see plenty of references to. As for the sanity and evil outsiders thing, you can thank H.P. Lovecraft for that one.

In addition, you will see things taken from other first=person shooter games, and other things parodying popular science fiction.
[ Setting Information/Background ]

The Extraterrestrial Archaeological Corporation, or EAC, is a company funded by the governments of Earth, particularly the United States and much of Europe. During one excavation at the ice caps known only as "Site 12", the miners discovered an ancient civilization, decimated by some outside force. After 46 hours of excavation, the digsite team suddenly vanished. That was the beginning of the problem, which prompted military guard to station themselves on mars as a precautionary measure.

Later, at other sites across the red planet, mining equipment and other heavy machinery began to malfunction in severe ways. Serious injuries or deaths continued to occur in alarming numbers, prompting EAC management to increase the amount of doctors on site. Again, this would be the least of their troubles.

The penultimate incident occurred at "Site 3." Deep beneath the surface of mars, a team of scientists discovered alien markings on what looked like a great, stone door. Carelessly tampering with the mysterious artifact, they opened a doorway between Mars and a place of unspeakable horror. Now, all hell has broken loose. Quite literally.

[ Game Introduction/Plot ]

There's really nothing to be said. You're on mars. Being attacked by demons. Kill them, seal the portal, comfort the massacred.

[ Character Creation ]

Available Sources: d20 modern, which can be read online right here. If you're curious, read it.
Banned Resources:D&D compatible though this book is, I'm not allowing other campaign-setting specific books. No forgotten realms, no eberron, nothing like that.

ECL: 1
Progress Level: 6
Wealth: Standard
Races: Obviously, as this is d20 modern, you're a d20 modern human or you're a robot. Shadowkind haven't really made an appearance yet, beyond the demons out to eat your soul, violate your women and spread evil for evil's evil purposes of evil.
Ability Scores*: Same as D&D.
xxxxxxxxxx*
Hit Points: Same as D&D.
Occupations: Military, Technician, Doctor, Transporter, Emergency Services, Blue Collar, White Collar

[ House/Optional Rules ]

1]Eventually, there's only so much someone can take before he's sent over the edge. Prolonged exposure to purest evil can render you completely insane. As such, we're using the Sanity variant rule. A robot who becomes permanently insane crashes.
2]In dealing with purest evil, one's own purity is put at risk. The seed of evil twists and warps one's mind and body alike. As such, we're using the Taint variant rule. Robots aren't harmed by this.
3]The normal base classes of D&D are either done away with in the fighter's case, or turned into advanced classes with what I feel are appropriate guidelines.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:00 pm
Eternality_Cannon
[ Premise/Foreword ]

This was inspired mainly by Doom 3, which is where the scary demons, the fact that we're on mars, and the job opportunities are based. Certain parts were also inspired by the Alien series, which you will see plenty of references to. As for the sanity and evil outsiders thing, you can thank H.P. Lovecraft for that one.

I love you.

Also, this.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:47 pm
Is there a certain group as to which we will belong? EAC scientists? The military? Citizen living on the planet? Any of the above? Some other thing?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:41 pm
Glad to see that I finally talked you into doing something related to Doom, Cannon. That took me long enough.

By the way, I warned you about The Evil Dead!  

Grevus

Grevus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:50 pm
I'm more partial to Judas Priest when playing doom. Sounds a bit like the old theme. *nostalgic sigh*

Rain, to answer the question, the answer is all of the above odds are. Personally, I'm going military.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:04 pm
I wanna be a robooottt!! This said, what PL is this? I'm guessing either 6 or 7

edit: found it, durr

My kid's real into Star Trek: Next Gen episodes on BC, so it'll be hard ot be anyhting but Data

I'm thinking of a Robot Smart, but how worth my time will it be to build a computer user?  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:01 am
So... questions:
-If a book is meant for D20 Modern, and published by WotC, is it a viable source for use?
-Magic sources?
-"Ability scores: Same as D&D" wut? There's many ways to do this. Specify please. Same for HP.
-Cybernetics?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:24 am
At least for HP, the d20 Modern rules is a max die at first level. At ECL1 that means we all just have max HD + con bonus.

Ability scores use the 4d6 drop lowest six times die method OR standard array of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8. It would be helpful to specify which is appropriate in this game.

We do need to know if FX powers like psi or magic are allowed, though at first level they're somewhat irrelevant.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:12 pm
HP and FX powers are kind of irrelevant at the moment, granted. But it's nice to know what to expect.

As for ability generation, I've seen countless ways... Such as what you listed above, Point Buys ranging from 25 up to 40-something and beyond. But usually the higher ranges have a 1:1 ratio for stats.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:27 pm
Likewise, I'd like to see a definite clarification on stats, if possible.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Slave Xaccheus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:14 pm
In order:
Cybernetics yes.
Magic sources are the usual from any D&D source, but it hurts your sanity.
d20-meant book allowed, but nothing campaign specific.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:05 pm
Still didn't answer HP or stats. Your OP is quite vague as I've explained above.  

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200

Slave Xaccheus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:21 am
HP: Max
Stats: Either roll 4d6 or use 32 point buy.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:30 am
Alright... Even though I don't know why FX powers hurt sanity... I'll roll with it...  

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
Seph Baelzara rolled 2 4-sided dice: 4, 1 Total: 5 (2-8)

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:59 am
How poor am I?
Middle class at the moment. Even with profession. We'll see how much that changes

(5+Int)*4 skill points is hardly enough for a Fast Hero dedicated on stealth. Even with 14 Int.
Balance, Climb, Hide, Move Silently, Slight of Hand, Spot, Tumble, and Profession is almost needed in this system. stressed
I need a 16 here, and a 16 in Dex to even begin to be competent.

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff