Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Suites

Back to Guilds

The most classy, organised, literate general discussion guild on Gaia, with lots of friendly, welcoming members. 

Tags: discussion, literate, friendly, variety, entertaining 

Reply The Suites
(Long Rant) Guys, society needs to be held accountable Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Nexus Carbuncle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:28 am
For its treatment of the LGBT community. Seriously. The Tyler Clementi case is finally bringing some much needed attention to the issue, but seriously? It's about ******** time.

Currently, I'm in Boston, which is very liberal, I'd think it's fair to say. But I come from The South. Yep. North Carolina. I come from a small town where minorities make up less than a percentage, and it's incredibly conservative. At the high school I went to, a boy tried to kill himself by jumping off a roof. He broke his femur, and survived, luckily. Why'd he try to jump? because he was gay, and being harassed mercilessly. He was very flamboyant, and he wore skirts, and carried a purse. Big. ********. Whoop. Well, students, and even a teacher (who was later fired) teased him all the time. When he came back, he tried to stand up for himself, and how did they respond? By telling him to "go jump off a roof." Then, there's Carl Joseph Walker-Hoover, the 11-year-old Massachusetts boy who hanged himself because he was teased by children who thought he was gay.

This is just not acceptable. It really ******** isn't. Society, not just America, needs to stop teaching it's children (whom I don't blame, they follow the examples set for them) that homosexuality is a punishable offense. Society needs to be held accountable, to answer for this. It shouldn't take a Matthew Shepard, a Tyler Clementi, it should not take someone dying for people to realize how the LGBT community is being mistreated.

I find the whole issue of Gay Rights to be ludicrous. I find it a travesty that consenting adults have to fight to be married, and are being told whom and how to love. They're being told they can't adopt children. It's ridiculous. It shouldn't even be an issue.

Society needs to grow the ******** up.

tl;dr

Society punishes the LGBT community for being for they are, and I'm mad as hell

*edit: I don't mean to imply that this persecution only exists in the South, hence why I said society

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:18 am
Nexus, this is why I love you. <3

I'm sure you know I agree with you completely. I saw the video Ellen Degeneres put out, and I cried, because honestly it was the first I had heard of it (I've been distracted with school and stuff recently, so news (TV and internet) is kinda not on the top of my list....
But all the lives lost...I've said it once and I will say it again. The lives lost are unacceptable. These young, healthy teenagers should not be taking their own lives because of this constant harassment. It's just not right.  

Violette PureHeart

Liberal Smoker

6,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Guildmember 100

Nexus Carbuncle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:19 am
I just think it's arrogant that people think they have the right to say that someone is wrong because of how they love. Y'know, with exceptions for *****, rapists, and the such, call me a hypocrite).

And it really, REALLY makes me angry that people think that these people "deserve" to have taken their own lives.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:15 pm
I am right there with you, man. The persecution of any minority must stop, and it is up to us to endeavor to fight for change until there is no more injustice. The general public thinks there is no harm or that these situations are isolated cases, but for every suicide there are probably thousands more with induced depression and are in contemplation of suicide because of the same circumstances. It is a detriment to our society that any discrimination is tolerated and encouraged  

Aaditya

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:11 am
There's got to be a way to effectively show people the wrongness of homophobia and train them to change their thinking. Unfortunately, the only method I have faith in is Stockholm Syndrome. lol

No, I mean it. You have no idea how powerful that s**t is. You can move worlds with it.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:00 am
That wasn't a long rant at all. Anyway you're seeking to blame society for this prejudice? Maybe your society sure why not? But society in general? Nope. I fail to see how that makes any sense considering in our community, being gay is perfectly acceptable (except by the haoles from the mainland which are growing in number every year). If you ask me, your persecution of all people is just as bad as the persecution that the LGBT community goes through.  

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:20 am
maui boy no ka oi
That wasn't a long rant at all. Anyway you're seeking to blame society for this prejudice? Maybe your society sure why not? But society in general? Nope. I fail to see how that makes any sense considering in our community, being gay is perfectly acceptable (except by the haoles from the mainland which are growing in number every year). If you ask me, your persecution of all people is just as bad as the persecution that the LGBT community goes through.

All the 15-year old boys in the world won't commit suicide because they can't take one internet rant, the way one 15-year old boy did because everyone at his school abused him for being gay. ;D

Also, Nexus' rant won't tie all the young men of the world up to a fence post out in the middle of nowhere and then beat them to death, the way a group of men did to one young man they decided to punish for being gay.

Perhaps it isn't right to fight fear with anger, but people are being mudered, beaten, raped, and driven to suicide. It's just as wrong not to be angry and not to demand a change..  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:21 pm
I wish we could tip in guilds emo

On topic: I completely agree with you. Like has been mentioned here, it is obvious that not everyone partakes in these events/actions, but you have stated that in your first post so I don't see why that was brought up in this thread.

It is honestly pathetic that people would stoop low enough to ridicule someone for what they do in tier personal life. People yell discrimination all the time when a minority group is ostracized for traditions or skin color and it ultimately ends in the minority winning. With the GLBT community, it is the citizens AND the government doing the discriminating and it gets shrugged off like it is no big deal. It should not be illegal to be with someone you love if they are a legal, consenting adult. Any adult with the correct background should not be stopped from adopting a child because of their sexuality. And people shouldn't, under any circumstances, have to live by rules that are put in place just for 'those types of people'. It makes me feel sick to my stomach that more isn't done about the treatment of the GLBT community.

On the note of the flamboyant guy wearing skirts and carrying purses, when people originally created clothing the gender could have just as easily been reversed and dresses have been made for man and suits for women. I don't get the whole gender assigned possessions thing, since women can wear pants, jeans, and suits but as soon as a man puts on a dress or skirt it is ludicrous.

Imma get outta this thread now. sweatdrop

[/rant]  

khionna

Salty Wench

39,800 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Jolly Roger 50

Maze

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:18 pm
/Nexus.

/Lychee.

Dude, I'm Dutch. We grow up with this s**t. We still have horrible teasing and pestering and whatnot, but being gay is semi-accepted here. I say semi, because there are still a whole lot of people who don't appreciate gays in any shape, way or form whatsoever.

I'm not just talking about the group of second- or third-generation Dutchies who migrated here from ******** knows where and are free to head on back there if they keep acting like this, though they are the group you hear about the most in the news, as they're generally the people who do stuff about gays or LGBTs as if they need to have something done about them, but also people who've lived here for generations and are quietly discontent.

I think it's a lack of education, coupled with a lack of respect thing. Anyone got any ideas on how to fix that? Because Stockholm Syndrome is way on the top of my list, man.

I just gotta find some butch gay people to help me get it started.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:51 pm
I'll agree with you that in that it's really tragic that such harassment over a person's sexual orientation can lead to their death. But I wouldn't blame society as a whole. I come from a city with a reasonable amount of normal, well educated people who haven't the slightest problem with homosexuality and/or transvestisim but like anywhere, there'll always be a crowd of dickheads who'll mock someone for being a "dyke" or a "f**" or a "tranny". I think efforts to improve the education of these people and teach them the respect for others that the rest of the world's population has would be fruitless; they're not lacking in education, they're just assholes.

~Nya-ha!~
blaugh

AquilaLiberum

maui boy no ka oi

Allied Ally

12,700 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:01 am
Lychee Fruit
maui boy no ka oi

All the 15-year old boys in the world won't commit suicide because they can't take one internet rant, the way one 15-year old boy did because everyone at his school abused him for being gay. ;D

Also, Nexus' rant won't tie all the young men of the world up to a fence post out in the middle of nowhere and then beat them to death, the way a group of men did to one young man they decided to punish for being gay.

Perhaps it isn't right to fight fear with anger, but people are being mudered, beaten, raped, and driven to suicide. It's just as wrong not to be angry and not to demand a change..
If you're angry why tell the people who can't do s**t about it? I can rant all I want about how the US overthrew the Hawaiian government and illegally had them annexed post-WW2 but that's not gonna do crap. The only way anything will get done is if people actually do things rather than just talk about it.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:59 am
I honestly have mixed feelings about the topic.I've grown up in a home that was told Homosexuality is wrong,so it kinda ******** with my head until one of my bestfriends told me he was gay and that changed my mind because he is an awesome friend and person.My point is I guess,I find all this sad and interesting,sad to hear about whats happening to those poor individuals when pushed too far about their sexuality and interesting because I don't have much of a real opinion,just reading all the comments is giving me lots to think about,and I appreciate that in a weird way.  

[X]Harajuku[X]

450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:56 pm
maui boy no ka oi
Lychee Fruit
maui boy no ka oi

If you're angry why tell the people who can't do s**t about it? I can rant all I want about how the US overthrew the Hawaiian government and illegally had them annexed post-WW2 but that's not gonna do crap. The only way anything will get done is if people actually do things rather than just talk about it.

I'm trying to link the peaceful if discontent annexation of a small country to torment and murder of individuals, but I just can't without pointing out that Hawaii wasn't made the subject of genocide, which was the norm during WWII. I mean... you've got to admit, if the US really wanted to, they could have gotten away with it. Ever heard of Japan or Germany? Ever wonder how North Korea came to be what it is today?

So instead, say eeeeeeveryone in Hawaii wanted Hawaii to secede. Now say eeeeeeveryone in the contiguous states also wanted Hawaii to secede. But nobody talked about it. What would happen? Hawaii would still be a state. Because people have to talk, have to become emotional before they're moved to do anything.

What we're doing here is talking, becoming emotional. The next step is...  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:31 pm
Lychee Fruit
What we're doing here is talking, becoming emotional. The next step is...

Procrastination, apparently.  

Maze

The Suites

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas