Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Ephemeral Skies Chapitre I Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:59 am
“I saw a star, I reached for it, and I missed. So I accepted the sky.”
~ Scott Fortini

Whether by happenstance or design, you have all found yourself as both passenger and crew aboard the White Falcon, a Valkyr-class airship that’s certainly seen better days. Ostensibly a merchant vessel, it is certainly a hive of rebel scum, folks determined to live the free life amongst the clouds, away from the jack-booted heel of the Consortium. The White Falcon plies the airways, picking up odd jobs and smuggling, boarding, and thwarting as best her captain can. Already, several of the crew are wanted in the eastern Vladamarl territories for piracy and sedition, so the White Falcon has recently migrated to the Emerald Cloud kingdom. Though the kingdom of Emerald Cloud is currently outside the Consortium’s direct control, they are still beholden to them for many of their resources, and Captain Shevat suspects that the Consortium’s front man for the region plans to tighten the noose any time.

The Ship

User Image The White Falcon is a Valkyr-class airship equipped with some second hand elemental engines and outfitted to serve as a light merchant ship. Valkyr’s were used by military forces as well as for fast travel about thirty years ago, but have gone largely out of fashion as superior military and leisure ships have become available. Still, Captain Shevat has a soft spot for the “old bird” and does his best to keep it in the air. It’s interior has been modified to include several hidden caches for smuggling, as well as a reasonably stocked mess hall. For defense, the ship is still equipped with a trio of ballistae. It can hold three dozen passengers and crew, but typically runs with half that assortment.

The Crew

User Image Captain Siddig Shevat Though he doesn’t like to talk about it, Captain Shevat once worked as a lieutenant in the Consortium’s armies. A career soldier, he never really questioned the motives or actions of his commanding officers, and followed with the program. After helping to subdue some “insurgents” in the Consortium-claimed Roebe Territories, he witnessed the extent to which the Consortium would go to control everything. Slavery, torture, and even wholesale slaughter of towns was not above some of his commanding officers, and Captain Shevat stole away with an airship and a handful of like-minded crew. Since that time, he’s lost several friends and acquaintances, and never once has he given up his fight against the Consortium. He typically leads raids on slave-holds or other targets, his rapier and dagger at the head of the charge. He is inspirational and charismatic, but he’s never had the opportunity to settle down. He sees his crew as his family, no matter how dysfunctional it may be.

User Image Lyndie Kestrel Without Lyndie, the White Falcon would likely have fallen from the sky years ago. She’s got a knack for keeping the clunky old elemental engines on the ship in working order, though she’s certainly gone through more than a fair share of spellotape to keep everything running. A gifted and intelligent girl, she was orphaned ten years ago and raised by Captain Shevat. He thinks of her as a very promising daughter, and is more than happy with her skills as an artificer. He does his best to keep her out of any actual combat, however. Still, she’s got a bit of a sarcastic wit about her, and likes to have fun on her own every so often.

User Image Thragan Gurn Old Thragan Gurn has seen one too many airships. He’s a bit of an eccentric old dwarf, with an odd sense of humor and a penchant for old yarns about wars everyone’s pretty sure never happened. He’s also a committed conspiracy theorist, seeing shadows and spies in every port. It’s probably because his own clanhold was undone by just such a scheming backstabber that he views the world that way, but he can be a bit too paranoid. Unlike a lot of dwarves, Thragan tries to stay out of combat, his old bones making it difficult to really do much moving around. He usually relies more on his handy mix of spells and travels throughout the ship sitting on a Floating Disc spell to keep the pressure off his bum left knee.

User Image Jeine No one’s quite sure what to do about Jeine. She has all the subtlety of the greatsword she carries on her at all times and is certainly not one to pass up any opportunity for coin. As a skilled warrior, she’s got few that can compare. It’s as a person of polite company that she fails. A common attitude is that Jeine was likely raised by wolves – she’s uncouth, surly, and greedy with few redeeming characteristics. Her loyalty to Captain Shevat is tenuous at best, and Thragan is always convinced that she’s going to turn on the crew and kill everyone in their sleep. It wouldn’t surprise most people if she did, assuming the price was right.

User Image Father Pierre D’Leon The traveling priest is a boon to the ship, helping patch folks up and keep everyone in much better shape after a scrap with the Consortium or other thugs. He’s quiet and keeps to himself, but he can be a pretty good listener. Unfortunately, he has to have special accommodations in the holding area of the White Falcon for three nights a month, when the full moon peaks and his lycanthropic affliction takes hold. Father D’Leon may be a gentle soul who’d rather heal you than hurt you, but the wolf inside him would kill everyone and their dog if those silver bars didn’t keep him contained. No magical cure has yet worked on Pierre, and he’s been plying the skies trying to find a cure for over three years to no avail.

User Image Anafa Airabel The plucky halfling pilot of the White Falcon, Anafa was once a slave toiling away in the bowels of an energist mine for the Consortium until the place was shut down by Captain Shevat and his crew. Unfortunately, the soldiers of the Consortium managed to slay a few of the freedom fighters, including the old pilot. Anafa had never been behind the wheel of an airship before, but she hopped into the position and through sheer blind luck, managed to evade their pursuers. She’s stayed in the pilot’s chair ever since, helping keep the White Falcon one step ahead of her enemies. She’s fun to hang around with in general, but the rest of the crew have a strict policy to never gamble with her. She’s just too damn lucky.

User Image Djalance Skyhawk Djalance has a keen eye, a flair for the dramatic, and a hair trigger. The half-elf with the voice of a song bird has plied the skies for quite a while, if his stories are to be believed. He’s only been on the White Falcon for the better part of nine months, and no one’s quite sure what exactly he did before that. He claims to have done time in a Consortium holding cell for several years, but the exact reason for his prison stint changes with each telling. If all the stories were true, he’d be the most dangerous man in the world armed only with a quill pen, but most of the crew is reasonably sure that he’s full of hot air. Doesn’t stop him from lifting everyone’s spirits as he fires one of the ship’s three ballistae at her enemies. In any port, he’s liable to be found fraternizing with the local barmaids, and his banter with Lyndie is amusing to everyone but Captain Shevat.

User Image Ksenia Nadezhda Ksenia is a sneaky sort, always vanishing into crowds and avoiding detection. She likes practical jokes and eavesdropping, ever inquisitive and mischievous. The youngest noble of no less than thirteen daughters, she had no hope whatsoever of inheriting a dime of her family’s estate. She spent her youth idly spying on members of her father’s court, learning secrets and getting by through blackmail and extortion. Eventually, she became too much of a liability and one of her father’s rivals decided it’d be easier to simply eliminate her. Her father unfortunately agreed. Tipped off through her own spying, Ksenia stole away into the night, but not before strangling her father in his sleep as preemptive payback. She got mixed up in a handful of other pirate crews before finding herself on the White Falcon, where her keen eye has made her a reliable shot with the ballista and whatever thrown object she can lay her hands on in a skirmish. She likes to have dirt on everyone, but she can be pretty nice if you get past her otherwise standoffish exterior.

User Image Sabine Edwarth The keen-eyed inhabitant of the White Falcon’s crow’s nest, Sabine doesn’t talk much. Despite his intense eyes, handsome features, and mane of flowing silver hair, most people give the aasimar a wide berth. It’s likely got something to do with his bizarre supernatural abilities, and the sulfurous stench that is left behind when he fires the bolts of raw magical energy at enemy ships. Everyone knows the basics of his story – Sabine was a carpenter once, with a wife and two children. He lost his family in some sort of horrific accident, and ever since then, he’s been a brooding, angry man with nothing really to live for. Why he even rides the White Falcon and lends his services to Captain Shevat is anyone’s guess. He certainly doesn’t answer them.

User Image Casey “Chuckles” Gambolt The wise strongman of the White Falcon’s crew, Casey is a stoic and passive warrior who would rather spend his days meditating than engaging in the cut and thrust of battle. Dedicated to honing his physical body towards perfection, when he isn’t running laps around the deck of the White Falcon, he’s likely to be lifting weights or sitting in silence above the engine room. When the White Falcon gets embroiled in combat, he mans the last of the ballistae with a keen eye and meditative focus. In battle, he strikes with his bare hands. Most of the crew jokingly call him “Chuckles” despite his lack of a sense of humor. Anafa christened him with the name when he just didn’t seem to appreciate a single one of her jokes. It’s rumored that Lyndie and Chuckles had a fling for a while, but neither one of them will confirm or deny it.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:07 am
User Image
The skies are clear, the wind is in her sails, and the White Falcon cruises throughout the Blue with the grace of an arrowhawk. A slightly tipsy arrowhawk. You can feel the occasional shudder as the engines once again rebel against the skies, but Captain Shevat and Anafa look untroubled as they stand by the wheel, discussing their current heading. At the front of the ship, Chuckles sits in quiet meditation, while Djalance and Ksenia play a game of Three Dragon Ante beneath the sails, welcoming anyone else interested in getting in on the game. All is quiet as the crew waits for the next mission from the captain. A flutter of silver birds flaps past on the starboard side of the ship, their wings glinting in the sunlight.  

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

jennibert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:32 pm
User ImageA slim figure sat in the rigging, silver hair blowing out behind her head. Wide eyes in a shade of brilliant blue-green watched the activity on the deck below. I wonder if Mercindur's enjoying this beautiful day as well, wherever he is. Her delicate features distort as a wave of incredible sadness crosses her face, making her beauty seem tragic. But then she shakes her head, and suddenly a sunny smile is in place.

Kristenna slides out of the rigging, landing lightly on the deck next to where Djalance and Ksenia play. "You know, it's impossible to win that game with only two people playing. Why don't you deal me in and improve your chances?"  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:14 pm
Reed lay on his bunk, his maps spread out around him. I didn't think I had any of Emerald Cloud. It's been ten years since I was here. I'll have to spend some time on deck later to get a look at things. But not now. Too much wind. Reed reaches self-consciously to finger the tiny nubs of horns that are hidden in his red-gold hair, but then yanks his hand back down.

Reed gathers his maps and carefully rolls them to store in his map case. I wonder if Lyndie could use some help with the engines.... He leaves his cabin and starts to head for the engine room. He may not be an artificer, but he does at least know a little about how these things work. Maybe he can be useful....or maybe he'll just watch Lyndie because she's hot.  

Dallas Moonrain

InuVash255

Dapper Dabbler

8,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:37 pm
Earlier that morning, Yllanah had set up a small desk on the port side veranda, overlooking the skies. In those leisurely, do-nothing hours adrift in the bright blue skies, Yllanah would always take the chance to study on cartography, even just a little. It was always important to take note of any landmass they sailed by, and to reference a map. Even a small discovery could key her in to their relative location, and what trajectory they could take next.

Yllanah reached over to Kaelyr and slipped her hand into the saddlebag resting on his strong canine back. Her nimble fingers rummaged through them while she held up a map she was looking at with her other hand. After a moment, she withdrew her compass, and placed it neatly on her desk. A few taps on the glass brought the pin to life, and caused it to point North. She nodded lightly; her eyes glanced at the map, then out into the bright blue sky and the dots of white that hovered eye-level along it.

"You know Kaelyr, I really envy the people that used to live on land, back when it was safe. Can you imagine it? There might actually be objects at sea or on land that you can map out, instead of this," She flourished her hand over the seas of air and clouds, "Not a single landmark as far as the eye can see..."

Kaelyr simple responded with a friendly bark and a calm tail wag. Any annoyance Yllanah had slipped away immediately, and she affectionately scratched behind her Husky's ears.

"What do you say we take a visit to the captain?" She said with a human to companion excitement. The large dog jumped up, tail slashing at the air fervently. Yllanah quickly slid away the few maps and instruments she had been referencing, and slid the table across the wooden floors back to the interior of the ship. Kaelyr was just behind, with the chair in his strong jaws. After her set up was put away, Yllanah beckoned the dog over, and she walked up the stairs to the main deck.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:30 pm
User ImageSitting amongst the rigging of the sails, Sheziera's fiery red hair billows out behind her in the wind. She surveys the cloudy sky for any signs of adventure, relishing the rustle of the wind and the creaking of the ship. Still, she was restless as all get-out. If the captain didn't get them some action soon, she didn't know what she'd do.

The card game caught her eye - she did fancy having some more time amongst the crew, especially with Djalance. If there wasn't any action to be had amongst the clouds, maybe she could maneuver some action below decks...

Leaping gracefully from the rigging and landing with precision on the deck beside the assembled gamblers, she grabs a seat. "Deal me in, guys. I'd love a shot at some extra gold..."  

Anatarei Crimsonthrone

Emerald the Crow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:56 pm
After waking, Marionne spent some time doing her usual morning routine - push ups, meditation, practicing some sword forms... All things she picked up while working in the military that have simply never left her. Donning her armor and raiment, and then strapping her sword to her side and brushing her blonde hair, she finally exits her cabin and steps out onto the deck of the airship. Surveying the assembled crew, she does her best to remember that she's not in charge and that she should try better to fit in.

Finally, she sidles over to sit next to Casey and sits beside him. She found his discipline refreshing. "So... Quiet day, isn't it?" she asks as quietly as possible so as not to disturb him if he wasn't interested in speaking.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:06 pm
((the supporting cast is so colorful, my character was feeling kind of extraneous))

Buck didn't consider being a skysailor to be a serious job. Even if he was sailing while smuggling a little something, it wasn't what he would consider 'serious' work. Serious jobs didn't always pay well, which was the main reason he took the other ones, and mainly to keep himself moving. Serious jobs usually involved hunting someone, something, or unraveling a mystery. Buck was currently between serious jobs.

Buck wasn't completely desperate when he chose the White Falcon. It had been recommended to him by a contact in the last port, and he could see plenty of potential for serious jobs on the ship. Maybe too much potential for his own good, each crewmember had enough shadows in their past to hide the sun. The lycanthrope priest gave him special pause, and Buck kept his distance from the man at all times. For the time being he was occupying himself by keeping tabs on JayneJeine, being of an even more suspicious nature than the others, while simultaneously being distractingly attractive. He would try and find a spot to surreptitiously observe her form above, that he might eavesdrop her conversation and peer down her shirt.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:46 pm
Leaning back and looking Kristenna and Sheziera up and down (and spending more than his fair share of time in the middle region), Djalance smiles. "Sure thing, ladies. Pull up a chair and we'll deal you in. May have to change the stakes a bit, though... Ksenia, feel up for a bit of strip-ante?" Ksenia stares daggers at him in reply, and he waves his hand nonchalantly. "A joke, as always. I'd honestly bet real gold that you're fused to those leathers, honey."

Stepping out onto the deck comes Jeine, her greatsword hefted over her shoulder as if she was just looking for a fight. She stretched in the air, and swing her head to look towards Anafa and the Captain. "We got anything to do, just yet?!" she hollers up at them. "Vera's getting twitchy." She lightly pumps her greatsword up and down, as if to make a point.

"You can tell Vera to find something to keep her occupied that doesn't involve stabbing folk!" Captain Siddig yells back before returning to his maps and Anafa, who had become distracted by the approaching dog.

As Reed stepped out of his cabin and started towards the engine room, he could hear the deep voice of Ol' Gurn and softer voice of Father D'Leon down the hallway. "I'm tellin' ye, it's all a big conspiracy. Them Consorshum berks been cookin' up curses and mystical mumbo jumbo to better subdue the populous. Ah mean, why not jus' curse some folk to turn into flesh eatin' beasts and let 'em clear out the local populous - save yerself some trouble 'n the long run?"

"I do find that highly doubtful. I honestly couldn't say if I'd even run afoul of the Consortium until after I was inflicted with this disease, Gurn."

"Ach, that's jus' what they want yeh to b'lieve, D'Leon. Jus' what they want yeh to b'lieve. Yeh goin' topside? I was gonna check in on lil Lyndie. See if'n she needs any help. Or, y'know, tuh get 'er outside at all. Girl needs some fresh air now 'n then."

"I was actually planning on staying in my cabin and read, to be honest. Good luck getting the young lady out of that hole, though..."  
Dallas Moonrain rolled 1 20-sided dice: 13 Total: 13 (1-20)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:06 pm
User Image
Upon hearing the voices, Reed fades back against the wall, trying not to be noticed. He has no qualms about eavesdropping--in fact, if pressed, he claims it to be simply a useful skill.

He is disappointed when Gurn expresses an intention to do exactly what he had been intending to do--Reed would have liked to get Lyndie alone for a bit to see where it got him--but shrugs philosophically. He probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere with her anyway. His luck with pretty girls has never been terribly good. And Gurn is the only other wizard on the ship. It could be useful to compare notes.

Reed slides out from the shadows and greets Gurn as the dwarf floats toward him on his disk. "I heard you say you were headed to the engine room. I was going there as well. Mind if we talk shop along the way?"

{Reed was actively attempting to hide from Gurn and Father D'Leon until he spoke with Gurn. I don't know if I need to roll a Hide check, but figured it couldn't hurt. +14 to his roll.}

{Several other people posted their pics...figured I should do mine as well.}  

Dallas Moonrain

InuVash255

Dapper Dabbler

8,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:25 pm
User Image
Kaelyr quickly dashed past Yllanah, and bounded up the stairs to the bridge. Yllanah held up her hand, and called, "Hold on Kaelyr! Kaelyr, wait!"

The half-elf followed the husky up onto the bridge, where Captain Shevat, Anafa the Pilot, and the insane, greatsword-swinging Jeine were. Kaelyr trotted over beside them, looking back at his companion quizzically.

Yllanah saluted out of instinct (it was bi-product of years of guard duty and sailing on submilitary vessels). "Captain Shevat!", she said, then lowered the involuntary salute. "May I ask: What's our heading?"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:59 pm
Kristenna laughs. "Sorry, Djalance, but I think we need to know each other a little better before we get to any stripping," she says, with a gleam in her eye. She declines to pull up a chair, choosing to perch her tiny frame on the edge of the table instead.

After being dealt her cards, she rolls her eyes dramatically, and then tosses in her stake carelessly.

{That may or may not be a bluff check. She'd do exactly that whatever cards she got.}  

jennibert

Anatarei Crimsonthrone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:53 pm
User Image"I hear there are some folks who rather like leather enough to consider it a second skin. Maybe Ksenia's just one of those girls?" Sheziera observed as she picked up her cards and arranged them in her hand. She contemplated what exactly she should do without with a hand as good as that one was...  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:15 pm
Taking Casey's silence as its own form of response, Marionne settled down quietly herself. She eyed the Captain and Jeine's interaction on the bridge, considering how little insubordination she'd tolerated when she was at the helm of her old vessel. She just didn't understand unruly crew like that...  

Emerald the Crow

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces