Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Christian friends
What is it like to speak in Tongue? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

JrSuper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:29 am
Ok, so I went to my church retreat and while everyone was praying like mad, my pastor came up to me and told me to imitate his tongue. I did and soon I was saying things in tongue. But after the retreat, I began to think.... Is tongue where you force your lips to say giberish and you say your prayers in your head?? Or does it happen without you noticing?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:52 am
I was always under the impression that speaking in tongues is speaking in an actual language, like Spanish or French. It's not some gibberish where your voice changes and your body starts contorting (which I have seen people do). Tongues is some thing that is learned. You receive the gift from God, but then you have to study and learn the language you so desire to speak, otherwise your gift goes to waste.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Green_Fuu

Fashionable Lunatic

10,600 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:28 pm
I was actually talking about this subject with my sister and my mom yesterday.
Well, it was mainly my mom explaining what it was.
I don't know too much in depth about this subject but speaking in tongues happens when you are baptized by the holy spirit.
I believe there's two kinds.
God can give you the ability to speak in other tongues or speak in angelical tongues where only God knows what you're saying.

It is not forced, it should be fluid and should come from your desire to receive them.
They are only God given so I don't know how "imitating" someone else works. I would look into that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:41 pm
I do not have the gift of tongues so I do not know what it is like personally. I can give you what I know about it and what scripture says about it. The verses I use will not be in order so that I can cut down on the size of the post. I will put them in an order to make it easier to understand my point. None of my quotes will be out of context due to the fact that is how most of the time scripture gets misinterpreted. I have posted the addresses of the verses if you wish to check anything I have stated.

The gift of tongues is a very heated topic within the church due to people interpreting scripture in different ways. Though scripture has several rules about the gift of tongues and those rules cannot be dismissed due to the fact that they words that God breathed into the writers. If anyone tells you they are not true then they are denying God's truth.

One of the rules is that everybody does not have the gift of tounges. No where in scripture does it say that everyone has this gift. Some people will even go so far to saying that if one doesn't have the gift of tongues then they don't have the Holy Ghost residing in them. There is also one command that states that the gift of tongues and the gift to interpret are different. Just because one has the gift of tongues does not always mean he has the gift of interpretation. Paul talks about both of these in 1 Corinthians 12:7-11 "Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines." 1 Corinthians 12:14-20 " 14Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. 15If the foot should say, 'Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,' it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 16And if the ear should say, 'Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,' it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 17If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20As it is, there are many parts, but one body." 1 Corinthians 14:5 "I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified." Some even theorize that some of the gifts given to the first centery church have died off due to the fact that those gift are no longer needed, tongues being one of those gifts (that is just a theory).

Another one is when speaking in tongues in public you must have an interpreter. 1 Corinthians 14:22-23 " 22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers. 23 So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?" 1 Corinthians 14:13 "13 For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says." 1 Corinthians 14:28 "If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God."

Paul also writes another rule about tongues being used in public in the church in 1 Corinthians 14:27, which states that everyone should not speak in tongues at once. "If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret."

He goes on to say in 1 Corinthians 14:36-38 "Did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only people it has reached? 37 If anybody thinks he is a prophet or spiritually gifted, let him acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord's command. 38 If he ignores this, he himself will be ignored." Even though you broke the commandments of using the gift of tongues it isn't completely your fault for you were mislead by the leader of your church. He should have known what scripture says about the gifts.

If you believe that you do have the gift of tongues don't be afraid to use it. It is a spiritual gift and it should not be hidden. 1 Corinthians 14:39-40 "Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues. 40 But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way."  

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

Azkeel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:35 pm
Shadows-shine
I was always under the impression that speaking in tongues is speaking in an actual language, like Spanish or French. It's not some gibberish where your voice changes and your body starts contorting (which I have seen people do). Tongues is some thing that is learned. You receive the gift from God, but then you have to study and learn the language you so desire to speak, otherwise your gift goes to waste.
I spoke to a Greek in their tounge in the back of my ambulance and they responded to me. I had no clue what I was saying to them. But there was the translater who only spoke Greek haha. Same thing with a Russian. Imagine going to another country you start speaking in this tounge you don't know and everyone starts getting angry at you and you don't know why. And others bless you. That's my oppinion of tounges for people to people. But then there are the tounges of your soul praying to the lord. When you speak in tounges in private. (My version of tounges in public is for the non belivers)  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:13 pm
Azkeel
Shadows-shine
I spoke to a Greek in their tounge in the back of my ambulance and they responded to me. I had no clue what I was saying to them. But there was the translater who only spoke Greek haha. Same thing with a Russian. Imagine going to another country you start speaking in this tounge you don't know and everyone starts getting angry at you and you don't know why. And others bless you. That's my oppinion of tounges for people to people. But then there are the tounges of your soul praying to the lord. When you speak in tounges in private. (My version of tounges in public is for the non belivers)

Well I don't believe in the stuff that sounds like gibberish, if that's you are referring to when you say that those are the "tongues of the soul". Your spirit communicating with the Holy Spirit is going to speak the language that you speak, otherwise things get confusing and God is not a God of confusion...at least this is my opinion and the conclusion I have come to in all my studying.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Azkeel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:15 pm
Shadows-shine
Azkeel
Shadows-shine

Well I don't believe in the stuff that sounds like gibberish, if that's you are referring to when you say that those are the "tongues of the soul". Your spirit communicating with the Holy Spirit is going to speak the language that you speak, otherwise things get confusing and God is not a God of confusion...at least this is my opinion and the conclusion I have come to in all my studying.
That's true. God is not a God of confusion. But why can't you speak straight to God in a different tounge and have faith you're saying what you need to say.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:19 pm
I have a question:
One of my friends will sometimes talk in another 'language', mostly when he gets mad. To be honest, it doesn't sound human at all.
Personally, I think he made it up and really believes in it. I'm wondering if it could be tongues?  

WoodSorrelWitch

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:46 pm
Azkeel
Shadows-shine
Azkeel
Shadows-shine

That's true. God is not a God of confusion. But why can't you speak straight to God in a different tounge and have faith you're saying what you need to say.

How would you know though? Speaking in a tongue that you know nothing about? How would you know that you are praying to God? Or what covenants you are making? To me, if you are speaking in tongues then you should be able to understand the language that you speak.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:47 pm
PawzPrint
I have a question:
One of my friends will sometimes talk in another 'language', mostly when he gets mad. To be honest, it doesn't sound human at all.
Personally, I think he made it up and really believes in it. I'm wondering if it could be tongues?

In my opinion, no.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Ace Unknown

6,650 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:21 pm
PawzPrint
I have a question:

..User Image

I don't really think so,

And I've been wondering what the "gibberish" the pastor's say at my church is, it makes no sense to me really. There were these African pastors that came over to pray for my dad after he had passed away, supposedly trying to help him come back to life. The pastors were speaking in tongues for a bit, and my one of my sisters got freaked out. Then one of my other sisters said she doesn't really know what they're saying, but she thinks it's God talking through you/your body.
User Image

User Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:02 pm
Reading all of this seriously threw me off. :-/ I've spoken in tongues before, and I think I can help clear up the situation, if I can find what I'm looking for first...
Let's see....
It is required of those who profess god to get baptized AND speak in tongues in order to be truly saved.
(John 3:5) "Except a man be born of water and of the spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."
But God knows our hearts, and I sure he has let people into heaven who have not spoken in tongues. Anyway...
Being born of water means being baptized in the name of the father, the son, and the holy ghost.
Being born in the spirit includes speaking in tongues (The evidence of receiving the holy ghost is speaking in tongues as the spirit gives utterance.)
"as the spirit gives utterance." meaning the spirit gives you the words to say. Speaking in tongues is a heavenly language that you do not know or understand. Just speak it in faith as the spirit that comes to you (when you ask to speak in tongues,) gives you the words to say.
Acts 2: 1-4
And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting...And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the spirit gave them utterance.
Here are some words u may want to know the definition of as u read the above scripture:
Sound: Something that can be heard. This is important. You will hear the sounds, then verbalize them, (this is speaking in other tongues.)
From Heaven: The sounds you will hear and speak will be given you from heaven. (so tongues is not gibberish!)
Wind: Wind typifies the spirit of God.
Rushing Mighty Wind: A spirit that is strong, powerful, and fast moving.
Cloven: Split- like a "y" in the road. You chose to speak in your comfortable native tongue or by faith to speak in the heavenly tongue. (speaking another language like Spanish is NOT the same as speaking in tongues!)
Speaking in tongues is a personnel thing that helps you grow individually in God. That's why when people speak in tongues while they preach have translators, so everyone can also benefit from what he's saying.
This will explain more:1 cor, 14: 2-5 (read it carefully, or you will get confused.)
"But if your gift is that of being able to speak in tongues, that is, to speak in languages you haven't learned, you will be talking to God but not to others, since they won't be able to understand you.
You will be speaking by the power of the spirit but it will be a secret. But one who prophesies, preaching the message of God, is helping others grow in the Lord, encouraging and comforting them. So a person speaking in tongues helps himself grow spiritually, but one who prophesies, preaching messages from God, helps the entire church grow in holiness and happiness.
I wish you all had the gift of speaking in tongues but, even more, I wish you were all able to prophesy, preaching God's messages, for that is a greater and more useful power than to speak in unknown languages -Unless, of course, you can tell everyone afterwords what you were saying, so that they can get some good out of it too.
Speaking in tongues is a way of speaking to God so no one else can understand, and the spirit gives you the words to say, But, you're not just saying any old thing. The spirit takes everything you want to say to God and phrases it in a way that God and ONLY God can understand .
Idk if it can go the other way, that God speaks to you and it comes through you in tongues. But the bible does have scriptures where that happens...so I guess it can. I don't know much about that part, with the translators and what not, so I will ask my mom and make another post later...>.>
But tongues is basically just a way to communicate with God in a way that he can understand. though you may not be able to understand what you say in tongues, God does, and that's all that matters. Just know that you most likely said everything you wanted to say to God that day.
And you cannot learn how to speak in tongues, no one understands it but God!!! You can't study the language, believe me, you're not going to find a book that is written in tongues with translations like you would a dictionary; and you're no going to be able to sign up for a class in school to learn speaking in tongues, or be able to move to a country where everyone speaks in tongues. You speak in tongues without understanding, and you can speak it whenever you want after you receive it when getting saved spiritually. And no one speaks the same when speaking in tongues, it's unique to each person, which is another reason why you cant learn it.
Lastly....actually, I think that's all I have to say on the matter. You may or may not agree with me, and you can post replys that argue with mine, that all fine with me, All of this is just what I've been told, or what I've looked up in the bible. But thanks for taking the time to read all of this, if you did read all of it. ^^
I suppose I can describe what it was like for me to speak in tongues in my next post, if someone asks me to? ^^  

WhitersNote

Unstoppable Shapeshifter

14,175 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200

JrSuper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:28 pm
-sigh-
Seriously...
This topic isnt about HOW to speak in tongue. I just want to know what it's like to speak in one... If ya dont know what tongue is like, then please dont reply : /  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:32 pm
I know what it's like, it that what u want me to describe? 3nodding  

WhitersNote

Unstoppable Shapeshifter

14,175 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:03 pm
whiters4
Reading all of this seriously threw me off. :-/ I've spoken in tongues before, and I think I can help clear up the situation, if I can find what I'm looking for first...
Let's see....
It is required of those who profess god to get baptized AND speak in tongues in order to be truly saved.
(John 3:5) "Except a man be born of water and of the spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."
But God knows our hearts, and I sure he has let people into heaven who have not spoken in tongues. Anyway...
Being born of water means being baptized in the name of the father, the son, and the holy ghost.
Being born in the spirit includes speaking in tongues (The evidence of receiving the holy ghost is speaking in tongues as the spirit gives utterance.)
"as the spirit gives utterance." meaning the spirit gives you the words to say. Speaking in tongues is a heavenly language that you do not know or understand. Just speak it in faith as the spirit that comes to you (when you ask to speak in tongues,) gives you the words to say.
Acts 2: 1-4
And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting...And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the spirit gave them utterance.
Here are some words u may want to know the definition of as u read the above scripture:
Sound: Something that can be heard. This is important. You will hear the sounds, then verbalize them, (this is speaking in other tongues.)
From Heaven: The sounds you will hear and speak will be given you from heaven. (so tongues is not gibberish!)
Wind: Wind typifies the spirit of God.
Rushing Mighty Wind: A spirit that is strong, powerful, and fast moving.
Cloven: Split- like a "y" in the road. You chose to speak in your comfortable native tongue or by faith to speak in the heavenly tongue. (speaking another language like Spanish is NOT the same as speaking in tongues!)
Speaking in tongues is a personnel thing that helps you grow individually in God. That's why when people speak in tongues while they preach have translators, so everyone can also benefit from what he's saying.
This will explain more:1 cor, 14: 2-5 (read it carefully, or you will get confused.)
"But if your gift is that of being able to speak in tongues, that is, to speak in languages you haven't learned, you will be talking to God but not to others, since they won't be able to understand you.
You will be speaking by the power of the spirit but it will be a secret. But one who prophesies, preaching the message of God, is helping others grow in the Lord, encouraging and comforting them. So a person speaking in tongues helps himself grow spiritually, but one who prophesies, preaching messages from God, helps the entire church grow in holiness and happiness.
I wish you all had the gift of speaking in tongues but, even more, I wish you were all able to prophesy, preaching God's messages, for that is a greater and more useful power than to speak in unknown languages -Unless, of course, you can tell everyone afterwords what you were saying, so that they can get some good out of it too.
Speaking in tongues is a way of speaking to God so no one else can understand, and the spirit gives you the words to say, But, you're not just saying any old thing. The spirit takes everything you want to say to God and phrases it in a way that God and ONLY God can understand .
Idk if it can go the other way, that God speaks to you and it comes through you in tongues. But the bible does have scriptures where that happens...so I guess it can. I don't know much about that part, with the translators and what not, so I will ask my mom and make another post later...>.>
But tongues is basically just a way to communicate with God in a way that he can understand. though you may not be able to understand what you say in tongues, God does, and that's all that matters. Just know that you most likely said everything you wanted to say to God that day.
And you cannot learn how to speak in tongues, no one understands it but God!!! You can't study the language, believe me, you're not going to find a book that is written in tongues with translations like you would a dictionary; and you're no going to be able to sign up for a class in school to learn speaking in tongues, or be able to move to a country where everyone speaks in tongues. You speak in tongues without understanding, and you can speak it whenever you want after you receive it when getting saved spiritually. And no one speaks the same when speaking in tongues, it's unique to each person, which is another reason why you cant learn it.
Lastly....actually, I think that's all I have to say on the matter. You may or may not agree with me, and you can post replys that argue with mine, that all fine with me, All of this is just what I've been told, or what I've looked up in the bible. But thanks for taking the time to read all of this, if you did read all of it. ^^
I suppose I can describe what it was like for me to speak in tongues in my next post, if someone asks me to? ^^

I'm sorry, but I disagree about you saying that in order to truly be saved you must speak in tongues. That's not scripture! The day of the Pentecost is not a good scripture to cite in order to prove that all "true" believers have the gift of tongues. Paul taught that the in the body of Christ we all have different gifts, not every one will have the same gift.

Oh and if no one understands the tongues, but God, then why does Paul teach that if some one who has the gift, needs to either keep silent or have an interpreter present?

Tongues are languages, actual languages! Not some random gibberish that some one burst into with a contorted body and changed voice. That is not of God. That causes confusion! God is not a God of confusion. Plus if you are speaking in a language that you don't understand and that no one else does, how do you know what covenants you are making? And with who? And what are you binding and unbinding? So yes, Spanish and other languages are tongues! Oh and the verses in 1 Corinthians 14:2-5, the word "unknown" is a mistranslation from the original Greek, it's actually supposed to be "another" So your verse should read: 2 For he that speaketh in an another tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
4 He that speaketh in an another tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
5 I awould that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.  
Christian friends

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff