Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Riddles

Back to Guilds

Put Your Mind To The Test - Join us on a mad-cap romp thru the seven seas in search of the ultimate riddle(and advenchar! - V.C. Austin) 

Tags: Riddles, puzzles, role-playing, pirates, riddle 

Reply Riddle Lounge
RiddleRound the Game Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What is your favourite alphabet?
  I
  U
  T
  C
  O
  Arrrrrr!
View Results

Turpentity
Crew

Dapper Stalker

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Pie For All! 300
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:53 am
Okay, this a game I invented a few days ago before I joined this guild.

Okay, so here's how it goes: I tell a riddle. Then you, the players, start guessing what is the correct answer. The one who guesses the answer gets a reward and a chance to tell a new riddle (this is voluntary: if the winner does not want to tell a riddle, I or someone else will).

Understood? Good smile

The reward for the first round winner is an electric orange!

And here's the riddle (And Lyssan, the riddle I sent you in my application was accidentally incorrect. Here's the corrected version):

In a certain lake in the US, a special type of water lily was planted: every day, it's leaves doubled their number; 1 leaf came two, two came four, four came 8 and so on. In 30 days the whole lake was totally covered by the leaves.

One year later, a surprise: another waterlily was found from the lake, and it grew the same way as the first waterlily; every day the number of the leaves doubled.

How long time will it take from two waterlilies to cover the lake completely?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:20 pm
Well you said previously that the lake was already covered in 30 days by the first lily's leaves. Wouldn't that mean that it would take no days since the lake had been already covered?  

EstoPerpetua
Crew

Turpentity
Crew

Dapper Stalker

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Pie For All! 300
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:34 pm
And as I also said, the second waterlily came to the lake the SECOND year. This means that the first lily hasn't filled the lake yet. Both lilies start from the same point (one leaf). So, how many days does it take from 2 waterlilies to cover the lake when it took 30 days from 1 waterlily?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:36 pm
Oh... Okay. Then it would take 15 days. 30/2=15.  

EstoPerpetua
Crew

Turpentity
Crew

Dapper Stalker

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Pie For All! 300
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:40 pm
Nope. Wrong answer.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:41 pm
Oh... Exponents... I hate exponents... Where's a calculator when you need it?  

EstoPerpetua
Crew

Sita Harker

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:49 pm
30 days because the 2nd lily wouldn't stop the 1st from growing at the same rate it woulda. I mean, if you mean for the lake to be covered by BOTH, then 2 years 30 days.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:19 am
how about i year for the first waterlily then add 15 days for the next waterlily plus the previous one to cover the lake so 1yr and 15days  

Total Affinity

5,000 Points
  • Trader 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Market Browser 100

Turpentity
Crew

Dapper Stalker

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Pie For All! 300
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:37 am
Wrong and wrong.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:31 am
And if you want, you can always use common sense. How on earth could it possibly take one year if there were two of them instead of one? neutral  

Turpentity
Crew

Dapper Stalker

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Pie For All! 300

Darknight Silver

3,650 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:31 am
60 days, perhaps? Or maybe 120 days?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:34 am
Gee, I'd have to agree with Sita here, thirty days. If both are started from stage one and both grow at the same rate, it would take thirty days for both waterlilies to cover the lake... If you are starting at opposite ends of the lake and only need to know when the lake is covered, not caring if it is done by both or not... then my answer would be 29 days because each lily would have exactly one half of the number of leaves to cover the lake on that day. Of course, if the two are competing nutirents and sunlight, killing each other off by blocking the sun, it kind of depends on where they are in replationship to one another in the lake... I could go on and on and on here... but I won't. he he he  

Lyssan
Captain

Turpentity
Crew

Dapper Stalker

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Pie For All! 300
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:14 am
DING DING DING! We have a winner! The correct answer is 29 days!

Why? Think of the waterlily: Every day the area it covered on the lake doubled. On day 29, the lake was half filled. When day 30 came, it was full of leaves. Now, add a second waterlily. They BOTH reach the "half filled lake" -stage in 29 days. Half + half equals one. Simple, when you think of it. biggrin

Lyssan has won the prize, an electric orange! Congratulations!

Now, do you want to tell a riddle or shall someone else do it for you?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:13 am
Oh I am so happy.... I'm going to hold it and love it and squeeze it... ooo... juice, yech, now I"m all sticky.

Now I will tell a riddle, hope you like it? wink

If it has a quart capacity, how many pennies can you put into a empty piggy bank?

As for the first riddle, I wonder how many people started to do the math, not realizing that if they both had the same growth rate, they'd be covering exactly one half of the lake on the same day? I know I almost did, then it hit me. One of those face palm moments, I'm afraid. xd

The reward for the second round is a funky banana!  

Lyssan
Captain

Turpentity
Crew

Dapper Stalker

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Pie For All! 300
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:28 am
Ooh, how funky. razz

Mm-hm..how many pennies..hmm confused