SCA, a subset of geekdom Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Non SCA geekdom events?
  Sure, I attend other geek events.
  Nope, I only go to SCA geek events.
  I attend non-SCA events, but they aren't geek related.
View Results

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:35 am
Comments in another thread on the Force, dice bags and Firefly only reinforced how intertwined all these interests and the SCA are. It makes sense when one realizes each is a subset of greater geekdom.

To this end, while we all would love to meet up at an SCA event, many of us attend other geek events as well. So, if you want, post what non-SCA geek related events you might be going to. I don't mean to sway away from the SCA but rather to facilitate SCAdians meeting each other.

Besides, nothing's quite as amusing as watching gathered SCAdians swarm together at an anime convention. Introducing fellow geeks to a fighter practice and bardic circle is a blast.

For my own part, I'll be at No Brand Con in Eau Clarie, WI the April/May weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:09 am
I might be going to Penguicon next weekend (not this upcoming one). I'm not sure yet.

http://www.penguicon.org/  

Out to the Black

MorganOfCalafia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:58 pm
My friends who I got into the SCA and the Wheel of Time book series and I do a d'nd based RPG based on that series almost any weekend we don't have events.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:21 pm
I play several tabletop RPGs and I'm a registered member of the 76th Independant Battalion.  

Out to the Black

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:57 am
Independent Battalion connected to what? US military, an RPG group?

This weekend is No Brand Con. I consider it my home convention though it's two hours away.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:15 pm
My guess would be that Independent Battalion is a browncoat group  

MorganOfCalafia

Out to the Black

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:43 pm
Exactly. It's a fangroup. Link is here.
http://76thbattalion.dragonfyredawn.com/

It's like the 501st for Star Wars, though a bit smaller at hte moment. We even march in the Parade at Dragoncon. I haven't gotten to that yet but I will.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:58 pm
Was it dragoncon that RJ's wife is going to this year?  

MorganOfCalafia

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:44 am
My local city just held a Bard-a-thon and I missed out on the whole thing. *very, very sad* It was a reading of everything by Shakespeare over the course of eight full days. I didn't find out about it until the last day and then had to work while my favorite play, Measure for Measure was being read. *sadder still*  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:16 pm
Ok. Tommorow I'm going to see a broadcast of Hamlet, staring David Tennant and Patrick Stewart at the historical theater in my town. So we have Shakespear, Doctor Who, and Star Trek fandoms. All present in a single show, in a lovley old theater? How can I say no to that?  

Runa Whynd

Out to the Black

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:19 pm
Yay fandom!  
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:29 am
The SCA is a subset of fandom. But that was no excuse for that guy wearing a Ryoga cosplay at Pennsic.  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:08 am
*groans* I couldn't agree more, Kitty. There's a reason I say it's a subset of geekdom rather than fandom.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:53 am
I saw a Cloud cosplay at Potrero few years back. Sword and everything. It was a little sad.

Seanchan make me lose the game because our tabletop RPG group got wiped by a group of them and we had to restart. It was sort of sad. I mean granted we have a ten year old and a twelve year old in our group and most of the rest of us it was the first time ever doing a real RPG but it was a pretty royal a** raping.  

MorganOfCalafia

Runa Whynd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:08 pm
I'm all for cosplay but it belongs at Cons, not SCA events.  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff