Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

caramel frappuccino

Sparkly Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:20 pm
If its ok to post here I just wanted to know and chat ^_^

I'll go first:

I'd say I don't like wearing petticoats with my dresses.
I know they're very important but when I sit down...I feel like I'm sitting on uneven pillows xd

I really don't like people calling themselves a "brand-whore".....where's the pride in that? Seriously?

If I wear something off-brand I don't want others to look down on me for it...It's very hard to buy AP, BTSSB or another Japanese Brand because Shipping and cost of dress is expensive!

I don't like it when people swear. If you're mad I understand that. But I just don't like it. And I sure most guys don't find it appealing for a woman.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:26 pm
I think everyone has a few Lolita pet peeves I know I sure do xD

+ New comers to the Fashion thinking their "experts" and giving bad advice to others who really want to learn

+ People who get aggressive when you disagree with something you say because they can only be right -_-;

+ Talking down to others because of the brand or nonbrand clothes

+Calling someone's advice "bitchy" simply because they say your outfit isn't really Lolita and how to improve it, but they have been nothing but cordial to them at all times  

-Lolita_Kana-
Captain

Partying Genius

12,615 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200

caramel frappuccino

Sparkly Warrior

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:53 pm
-Lolita_Kana-
I think everyone has a few Lolita pet peeves I know I sure do xD

+ New comers to the Fashion thinking their "experts" and giving bad advice to others who really want to learn

+ People who get aggressive when you disagree with something you say because they can only be right -_-;

+ Talking down to others because of the brand or nonbrand clothes

+Calling someone's advice "bitchy" simply because they say your outfit isn't really Lolita and how to improve it, but they have been nothing but cordial to them at all times

When people ask for my opinon and get mad because they think they're right ge s me mad.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:10 pm
I usually get really annoyed when people act extremely closed minded. But I usually won't say anything or do anything.  

bottled charm

5,450 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Contributor 150
  • Full closet 200

Princess of Rhymes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:26 pm
- When someone spends hours and time to make a beautiful garment that fits all the parameters of what is lolita (proper fabric, lace, shape, etc) just to be ridiculed because it isn't brand. Open your eyes and see what a beautiful couture garment it is.

- I definitely agree with the above that if you put yourself up on the internet and someone offers you constructive criticism take it!If you really disagree with it, have a polite discussion about what you disagree with but the instant you say "nuh uh, your wrong I can wear whatever I want" you loose all credibility.

- People having an issue with ankle boots with heels. I'm not talking about whore-like stilettos, just cute boots or heels that arent's classified as lolita. I was reading the blog lolita charm, and the post about how sometimes you want a sort of appealing little heal to an ankle boot I think does look good with lolita (and it's been in some magazines as seen in her blog post click here). I just think with the right dress it looks very pretty and appropriate and I wish more lolitas considered it a viable option. It's not an issue for me per say because when people ask I say quaintrelle as opposed to lolita but still. I mean look at how cute she looks with those shoes! (click here!)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:00 pm
Quote:

- When someone spends hours and time to make a beautiful garment that fits all the parameters of what is lolita (proper fabric, lace, shape, etc) just to be ridiculed because it isn't brand. Open your eyes and see what a beautiful couture garment it is.

I got into a fight with someone at PMX about this.

I have seriously never, NEVER EVER, heard ANYONE make fun of a girl wearing a well-made, proper handsewn dress. Seriously, it is major props for girls with that sort of skill. Maybe this is just me, maybe I've never heard of it before; maybe it has happened, somewhere, sometime ONCE.

I think this may be a misinterpretation of the praise "it looks just like brand!" which is supposed to be complementing the seamstress's work, not demeaning it by saying "it's nice but not brand". Those two statements are completely unrelated.

The other thing, too:

ANTI-brandwhores. You're not a special snowflake for deciding to never wear or buy brand- just the SAME WAY that brandwhores are not special snowflakes for spending thousands on ONLY brand items.

Also, WHINERS saying that they shouldn't be "expected" to buy brand because it's so expensive. You're not expected to. Everyone, in some way, works really hard for the brand they get. Don't demean other people's saving skills. I saved most of my money from part-time jobs in high school to get my first brand outfit. So, don't b***h that it's "too hard". You have to work for what you want.

END rant.  

C a t h a r s i s

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:02 am
Things that piss me off...

People who know what they're talking about not politely correcting and guiding newbies to the right idea (be it which skirt to buy, how to make tea, the right way to role a RP character... I'm not just talking loli here. xd )

People who don't want the help but rather then politely saying "I'd rather do this myself this time, if i need help, i know where to look" being like "YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO IT FOR ME!"... at least provided the advice was handed to you politely.

People who don't wear coordinating shoes. I mean really, i know shoes are expensive/hard to find but...

People who criticize a little bit of difference in lolita. For example, my sister wears low heels with her loli, she likes the way it looks and looks for 'victorian inspired' shoes. It works well with her classic loli, and she's one of the first to admit its not standard loli. But does that really need to be in the first sentence? "Oh hi! I love your outfit, but whats up with those shoes? They aren't really loli, you know."

People saying the handmade lolita looks 'just like brand'. I try not to let it get me, but most of my loli is designed and sewn by me. To hear that it looks just like brand the first time you wear it out can be hard, even though i simply remind myself that its a compliment. Still, it would be nice if people said "I don't recognize the dress, what brand is it?" or something similar. This one doesn't bother me too much, but i thought i'd throw it out there.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:47 pm
kochi~mochi

People saying the handmade lolita looks 'just like brand'. I try not to let it get me, but most of my loli is designed and sewn by me. To hear that it looks just like brand the first time you wear it out can be hard, even though i simply remind myself that its a compliment. Still, it would be nice if people said "I don't recognize the dress, what brand is it?" or something similar. This one doesn't bother me too much, but i thought i'd throw it out there.

I would take that as the ultimate compliment towards my clothing that someone would think that the dress I made is on the same professional level of a brand made items. It means that all the hard work has paid off because it even has fooled others into thinking its expensive brand xD  

-Lolita_Kana-
Captain

Partying Genius

12,615 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200

Princess of Rhymes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:03 pm
C a t h a r s i s
Quote:

I have seriously never, NEVER EVER, heard ANYONE make fun of a girl wearing a well-made, proper handsewn dress. Seriously, it is major props for girls with that sort of skill. Maybe this is just me, maybe I've never heard of it before; maybe it has happened, somewhere, sometime ONCE.

I think this may be a misinterpretation of the praise "it looks just like brand!" which is supposed to be complementing the seamstress's work, not demeaning it by saying "it's nice but not brand". Those two statements are completely unrelated.

It's definitely good that it doesn't happen all that often and I never meant to imply that it is a common occurrence. However, seeing how I have witnessed it happen and not in the manner you speak of. Fore example agirl made a beautiful dress (very sweet and albeit a bit over the top) and another girl made the remark that she had never seen it before. When the girl said that she made it herself the other just yelled at her saying how the seamstress wished she could buy baby and AP, how she wished she could afford it but couldn't, how no "real lolita" ever makes her own clothes (which we all know is ridiculous), etc and just told her it wasn't lolita because it wasn't brand. Now obviously as you have said it is indeed the highest level of praise to say that it is of comparable quality to brand. I'm just saying that those lolita who make the unfortunate choice to belittle the work of another person simply because they don't own Japanese brand is unfortunate. Even if the rude girl was wrong in pretty much everything she said, it doesn't stop the seamstresses feelings from being hurt and that's what bothers me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:48 am
KimChi Panda
C a t h a r s i s
Quote:

It's definitely good that it doesn't happen all that often and I never meant to imply that it is a common occurrence. However, seeing how I have witnessed it happen and not in the manner you speak of. Fore example agirl made a beautiful dress (very sweet and albeit a bit over the top) and another girl made the remark that she had never seen it before. When the girl said that she made it herself the other just yelled at her saying how the seamstress wished she could buy baby and AP, how she wished she could afford it but couldn't, how no "real lolita" ever makes her own clothes (which we all know is ridiculous), etc and just told her it wasn't lolita because it wasn't brand. Now obviously as you have said it is indeed the highest level of praise to say that it is of comparable quality to brand. I'm just saying that those lolita who make the unfortunate choice to belittle the work of another person simply because they don't own Japanese brand is unfortunate. Even if the rude girl was wrong in pretty much everything she said, it doesn't stop the seamstresses feelings from being hurt and that's what bothers me.

Fair enough, but I have heard several girls mention this occurring in the past. I think some people are under the impression that it DOES happen often, and it's true that it is not the case.

Well, that's different. D: I guess you get a few crazies at every con/meetup, but seriously... why would you say that to the person? That's just plain stupid, not to mention rude.

If I ever heard that happen I would go up to the girl who was yelling and slap her. It doesn't matter the context. You just don't do that.  

C a t h a r s i s

Princess of Rhymes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:14 am
C a t h a r s i s
KimChi Panda
C a t h a r s i s
Quote:

Fair enough, but I have heard several girls mention this occurring in the past. I think some people are under the impression that it DOES happen often, and it's true that it is not the case.

Well, that's different. D: I guess you get a few crazies at every con/meetup, but seriously... why would you say that to the person? That's just plain stupid, not to mention rude.

If I ever heard that happen I would go up to the girl who was yelling and slap her. It doesn't matter the context. You just don't do that.

I know right??? And of course the girl who made the dress knew the other girl was a complete nutter, but it didn't stop it from hurting her and worst is it made her doubt her work and consider for even a moment that maybe the other girl was right and it just wasn't good enough. Of course every other sane person convinced her that her work was fantastic but yea. If that was a common occurrence... *shudders at the thought* I think most of the people there were just to shocked to slap the yelling girl, it was like made for tv lolita drama level of yelling.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:13 pm
C a t h a r s i s
Quote:

So a girl was looked down because her dress was not a brand? Or what the fight about something else?  

caramel frappuccino

Sparkly Warrior

Magical Girl BunnyWinx

Angelic Spirit

9,675 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:39 am
User Image

Oh my gosh!!
Whoever yelled at that girl for making her own clothes
is just a lunatic. I am speechless that such a thing could ever possibly happen.
I have nothing to add besides what's already been said:
that's just stupid, wrong, and rude.

If I ever heard anyone say "It looks like a brand,"
I would surely take it as a compliment.
They are trying to tell you that your work looks professional and beautiful,
not saying that it looks like any ol' thing you can buy in a store. c:
User Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:59 pm
firelily808
C a t h a r s i s
Quote:

So a girl was looked down because her dress was not a brand? Or what the fight about something else?

Basically she was just yelled at for making her clothes period. Despite how beautiful they were she was chewed out for not buying them from a store which is so silly I still can't get over it.

Princess of Rhymes

caramel frappuccino

Sparkly Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:31 pm
KimChi Panda
firelily808
C a t h a r s i s
Quote:

Basically she was just yelled at for making her clothes period. Despite how beautiful they were she was chewed out for not buying them from a store which is so silly I still can't get over it.

How rude! I would stood up for that girl! That's no excuse to be mean! She must have worked really hard to make it!  
The Lolita Society.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff