Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

private or public?
  public school (freedom xD)
  private school (good education XP )
View Results

Bunny Jupiter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:34 pm
Yeah I've been in private school and public school (mostly private) so I already know how they both work but I prefer public. But what do you prefer? I've heard a lot of people complaining that they dont like catholic because of the uniforms..I dont really mind uniforms because thats the last thing someone should be worried about in a school its just the fact that theres more of a variety of things to do in public school..or at least in my opinion. Maybe Im just tired of all the prissy students and useless staff (it could just be my particular private school thats like that,I already know public school kids could be worse but I know how to handle that) idk everyone has a different opinion on that so let your opinions be heard ._. But I wanna know what type of school other people would want to go to and why so what do you prefer?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:42 pm
I didn't get a choice. I'm not a tremendous fan of public school but either way you go it's all business. It's just the question of who's paying for what and how much? Where I come from, the quality of school education isn't that great. Half the students botch the proficiency, and another third botch it again.

Now from an intellectual standpoint, uniforms mean nothing. The important thing should be, "Is the curriculum strong amongst all the teachers?" Where I came from, shitty teachers across the board. Now supposedly my high school was the best in the county. . . at sports. Well I'm just rambling off. I've always been lethargic and never took school too seriously. I'm so happy I'm out of that K-12 garbage.  

Phaeton

Bunny Jupiter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm
Phaeton
I didn't get a choice. I'm not a tremendous fan of public school but either way you go it's all business. It's just the question of who's paying for what and how much? Where I come from, the quality of school education isn't that great. Half the students botch the proficiency, and another third botch it again.

Now from an intellectual standpoint, uniforms mean nothing. The important thing should be, "Is the curriculum strong amongst all the teachers?" Where I came from, shitty teachers across the board. Now supposedly my high school was the best in the county. . . at sports. Well I'm just rambling off. I've always been lethargic and never took school too seriously. I'm so happy I'm out of that K-12 garbage.

Ohh ok lol. It must be a great feeling out of school after putting up with all of the garbage xD. I cant wait till I reach there one day. So are you in college now? Whats it like in college (I always wanted to know but noone ever gives me a valid answer emo )And lol you had sports in your highschool? I dont have sports in mine because the staff is being cheap ._.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:04 pm
College isn't so bad. A lot of older people go to the one I go to so it's all business. It doesn't have that party atmosphere, and there's more responsibility.  

Phaeton

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:17 pm
There were no private schools anywhere near where I grew up. The nearest ones were hours away, and even if I lived near enough they would have been way too expensive.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:37 pm
when I was going to school, starting with elementary, after I had left that school, they implemented a uniform program.

When I went to middle school, they already had a uniform program, and changed it to a slightly more variable from when I was there (when I was going, it was white tops, and black pants, with black shoes, and yes, a belt was required even if you didn't need it...after that, they started allowing khaki pants and even navy blues...kinda weird)

High school, no uniform. Unless we had a band thing going on.

keep in mind I went to public schools...couldn't afford private schools, and most of the ones here were Catholic...I'm not into that God s**t...

don't get me wrong though, I wasn't against dating girls that went to all girl catholic schools...they tended to be the most daring... twisted  

Arcanas

Hunter

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:27 am
Here the Catholic schools are basically public -- when they do the yearly door-to-door census, they ask if you would rather have your taxes support Edmonton Public or Edmonton Catholic schools, and they divide the tax money accordingly.

I think maybe ONE of the Catholic schools in town has uniforms. There is another school, Vimy Ridge, that has uniforms, and I think the Nellie McClung program is a uniformed program. Vimy is private I think, but the Nellie McClung program is public.

Where I grew up, there were three elementary schools and your address determinded which you went to. They were all public, none were catholic. There was one high school. If you didn't want to go to the high school, you either moved to another city (a few people went away to boarding schools. Not many though, we were a pretty poor town), you were home schooled, or you did like me and took correspondence school -- which is public, by the way. One of the local churches started a private Christan school, but they closed due to lack of funding and crappy educational quality. The Christian schools around here are the same -- lower quality buildings, outdated textbooks, limited technology.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:21 am
heart heart heart heart heart

i am ina PRVT school..yet i prefer Public school cuz we can save money and it depends on the students if ever they get a good education.....and well yeah PRVT. school may give us some good ED...but we cant enjoy our highschool life due to strictness....and on the other hand which is the Public school...we can enjoy our teenage life and remember!..we only dont learn from school but also to the peole around us.....XD

User Image

User Image  

MISS_ANGELO69

Senryoske

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:49 am
There's only one or two private schools in my district. And there's only one High School. Its Public. I've never been to a private school, but I would rather be in a public one. I just think that you kinda (At least around here cuz they're all religious schools...) get sheltered in a private school and you end up not being as street smart as you would be in a public school. That and there's a huge variety of people in public schools, privates tend to be about all the same. But that's just me  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:41 am
Actually uniforms are great. You wake up in the morning crawl into it and never have to think about what to wear. Of course I personally would rather be asleep than pondering such a trivial issue first thing in the morning. I miss that greatly.

@Kals: I wish that was how taxes worked here. My dad's been paying himself with his own taxes for years. He's a teacher and my brother and I continue to go to Catholic schools.

Where I live dishing out the money to go to private schools is worth while just to have the teacher student ratio of 1 to about 15. Other wise you are just 1 of several thousand in our local schools and probably 1 of almost 30 packed into a small class room.

Sure in somethings the schools I've been to have been not so much cheep but reserved; they have to stick to a very strict budget and not waste money. So only some of the computers were new and we didn't go on major trips, and had fewer sports teams.

But all that aside it depends on the person to learn something so if the conditions are not right for that individual either might be bad.
From all I hear from my friends and see from my teacher parents I'm glad I never went to publics schools, they're not for me.

Edit: and as for religious brain washing... well that only happens if you have the people who try to push that and it only works if you let it. In high school we studied the bible to a degree that made me understand why it was written the way it was and we even had a class on the other major religions.
All in all I understand my religion to a point where I can tell you what makes sense to follow and respect other religions or lack there of to not force it on others.  

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Yeonie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:40 am
Private for the sake of uniforms.
Not only 'cause they're cute though,
it really emits a sense of equality to the student body.

I mean, in a public school, you can generally tell who's "rich" and who's "poor" ...
Which sort of sets the boundaries within cliques, by their clothing.

Whereas in private schools, everyone is required to wear the same thing.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:44 am
Arcanas
don't get me wrong though, I wasn't against dating girls that went to all girl catholic schools...they tended to be the most daring... twisted

So, because I'm not religious, I'm not enough for you during the night time hours? Thanks a lot. stare

For the first three years of my wee life, I was raised in a private school. Let me get this straight, it was NOT Catholic. I could care less if Catholicism has the highest Christian denomination. It was a Lutheran school. The only thing I liked about that school was my friends and the food. If you didn't have a cold lunch from home, you would be provided pizza, Taco Bell or McDonalds.

It was such a pain in the butt for a little girl to run around in uniforms with a mother who would freak out at the slightest stain.

I was switched to a public school a 10 minute walk from the house for my 3rd grade year. Let's just say that my grades became stellar when I did. whee

After that, I stayed in the public setting.

@Elcia: Speaking of classes, you know that the economy sucks, right? Because a good amount of school have to make some sort of reform, classes have become bigger. A teacher from my last year of high school said that he's expecting that class sizes to go from 15-30 (depending on how popular the class is, whether it's a necessary class for the student, etc.) to 40-45 kids. It's horrifying.

Chexley

1,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:51 am
I barely remember school below the 3rd grade...o.O

Anyway, I would really just think it's always going to depend on the individual school whether it can be preferred or not regardless of being private or public. School districts just run differently from place to place.... Uniforms either way shouldn't make that much of a difference.

I went to public school my whole life, my siblings started out in private school and then moved to public when we moved to Georgia (I hadn't started school until moving to Georgia). Otherwise I would have gone to private too. Most but not all of my cousins went to private school in different states.... We're all pretty much the same, I'd say, education-wise.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:16 am
Education-wise, yeah, I'd say I'm well-rounded. The only proficiency exam I had to retake was math. Math's not my greatest subject. xd

I only remember my younger days in school because I raised hell constantly. I was a loud mouth and bullied kids. I actually got into a fight with another girl over a pnecil. A PENCIL.

Chexley

1,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:25 pm
I went to public high school and I aint not dum! biggrin

Public High School, Private College. I learned so much from both that was not remotely academic and I wouldn't trade either experience for anything. Public High School taught me that there is ALWAYS a way to do what you love, and Private College taught me that there are a LOT of phonies out there, but in the end they don't matter that much.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff