Welcome to Gaia! ::

Elves on Bookshelves - The Bookcase for Friends of Fantasy

Back to Guilds

A literate guild for readers: We mainly discuss books, but feel free to share jokes and real life issues; we'll laugh and cry with you. 

Tags: contests & quests & advice for writers, faery games and medieval quizzes, original poetry, fan art and fiction, library of myths and legends, fun magic wizard, bookworm & bibliophile 

Reply Shh, the Librarians Will Never Know We're Here!
Twilight series Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you feel about the Twilight series?
  Read the first and loved it!!
  Reading the series now.
  Saw the movie and have to read the series.
  Ewww!!!!!!! Yuck!!!! Gross!!!!!
  Why would you read that?!?
View Results

Chief Lover_of_Animals

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:02 pm
I love the Twilight series!!! I am currently reading the third book, Eclipse. I loved Twilight and New Moon, and so far I love Eclispe. I have to say the movie was not even close to as good as the book. I still liked the movie though. Everything in it could have been better though. There is no way I'm the only one in the guild who loves it. I want to talk about it with someone who likes it at least. So, here's my way of finding out.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:38 pm
The Twilight series is a must read for anyone (like me) who has a thing for vampires. The books are amazing. It's funny, when you read a summary of them, you can't help but think it sounds cheesy, but when you're reading the book, it all seems completely right and so utterly believable! I am personally a proud member of Team Edward, may I just say. I am going to buy the hoodie, in fact. And if you love Twilight, I suggest you go to http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/pdf/midnightsun_partialdraft3.pdf and read her partial draft of Midnight Sun. It's incomplete, and she's currently not even sure she's going to finish it, so reading what she has here may be the only way to get it! It is even better than Twilight!  

ScottieBears MiaKitty

6,250 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Hive Mind 200

Mistress_of_Kitty_Cats

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:44 pm
Well I have not read the twilight series and I think i will and we will see! xp  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:51 pm
I have to say, I love most of the characters sooo much. I don't, ok didn't have a thing for vampires before. Now, they interest me so much. I can't seem to read the books fast enough. They just leaving you wanting more. I love Edward as well. I can't imagine the series without him. Sure Bella is....um....interesting I guess. But without Edward what would she be?  

Chief Lover_of_Animals

Bruki_Cuki0117

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:32 pm

Twilight is amazing!!!! I read all four books, part of Midnight Sun, and saw the movie! smile
I'm on Team Edward all the way, although, i must admit Jacob is tempting......lol smile
I thought that New Moon was slower than the other three, and personally a little depressing without Edward. sad
You'll LOVE Breaking Dawn! It's my favorite!
I was pretty happy with the movie. It was not nearly as great as the series, (not many movies can live up to the books) but i was just happy that they didn't make up scenes and add a bunch of stuff.
For those who have seen the movie; I heart the part where the Cullens are in the kitchen cooking for Bella and say
"Why are we cooking Italian? Is she even Italian?"
"Her name's Bella isn't it?!"
Then when bella walks in, Emmett randomly waves the huge knife in the air to say hi. *tee hee*
Rosalie got sooo pissed too and broke that bowl....ah good times smile
To Scotties MiaKitty, I was so sad when i heard Stephenie Meyer wasn't going to make Midnight Sun because someone leaked the rough draft! I was dying to know what was going through Edward's mind during Twilight! I only read part of the draft, but what i read was really funny and very good. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:05 pm
I know lots of my friends like this series (Obviously, since I like everyone in the guild. You're all wonderful! heart ) and I don't want to offend anyone, but I honestly hate this series and I've never been the type of person that fails to express her truthful opinion.

I only read the first one and I thought it was horrible. The characters are shallow and underdeveloped; readers are expected to take them at face value. The plot is disgustingly lovey-dovey romantic and then, with NO FORESHADOWING WHATSOEVER, a villain is added as the author makes a pathetic attempt to turn the teenage soap-opera into an adventure/suspense story. talk2hand

Fans of classic vampyr lore liking these books is inconceivable since Meyer herself freely admits that she knows little about the legends pertaining to them, which is why instead of turning to ash - or at least being weakened - by sunlight, the undead beings sparkle and become MORE beautiful. Is she serious? What. The. Fudge. burning_eyes

The book in itself isn't what I despise, for in reality I merely dislike Twilight because the people and plot are not deep enough for me. Also, romance novels in general never appeal to me because I think it's pathetic when someone's life revolves entirely around one person. They care nothing for family, friends, or their own achievements; it's ALL about their lover. Pitiful. emo

Anyway, like I said, I merely DISLIKE Twilight. What makes me hate it is the hype around it. Twilight is NOT a good book, and it doesn't deserve all of the attention that it receives. Even though I am not fond of it, I wouldn't have a problem with its popularity if it was well-written. After all, there are several films that I don't enjoy, but I can still recognise when they're done well. The Twilight book isn't done well. It sickens me there are so many better novels out there, and people choose to read Twilight instead. I know that the reason people choose to peruse it is BECAUSE it's an easy-read, which disgusts me even more.

Darn, now I'm in a bad mood. *thinks about kittens and chocolate* Ah, I feel better now! whee Remember, I wasn't trying to offend anyone, so don't take it personally. I'm insulting the book, not you. I like you all too much to do that. 4laugh

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Captain

Chief Lover_of_Animals

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:55 pm
Minerva, you are completely entitled to your opinion. The fact that I feel the complete opposite as you does not have any affect on you being allowed to have your opinion. I must make it clear however that I love this series. I do believe that there are other great novels out there, I have read some. What you think does not change how I feel at all. I dislike some of seires you have told me about, well from you told me anyway. I can't help but to take how strongly you feel somewhat offensively. If I were to dislike one of your favorite series with as much intensity as you appear to have for Twilight you would be offended as well. I believe that the books are written well, and I'm sorry but you can't change that. You should at least be somewhat tolerant of the books because so many of your friends like them so much. Every time I bring them up you voice your opinion loud and clearly, I know your opinion but I still like talking to you about books. You are normally the first person I go to to talk about any book to begin with. However, seeing as how I am tired of hearing your opinion over and over again I will not even attept to speak with you about any book or series you do not like again. If I believe that you don't like it I won't even bring it up with you.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:34 pm
Anyone want my opinion?
Well, I'm going to say it anyway:

I have to say, that I think the Twilight series is a good series...But some people get WAY to obsesed with it. I'm kinda getting sick of the big fuss that everyone is making over it. Everyones taking it way to far. (Well, a lot of people are.) My second to best friend is EXTREMELY obsessed with the series. She has almost everything in her room Twilight decorated, posters staring her down like crazy, her binder completley covered in pic's and sayings, twilight clothing, tried to cut her hair to that of one of the characters, and is even making her own clothing thats twilight based. And she will NEVER stop talking about it. When the movie came out, she went to the midnight showing, and then saw it at least 4 other times, and still wants to go watch it again.

And, I know theres worse out there. But, What really gets on my nerves is how so many people like the story mainly because of the 'Perfection' of the male characters. Or, how some people HATE the series, when they haven't givin it a chance, just because some people freak over it.

But, like I said, I do like the series, but I like most to any fantasy story. People, just remember, it's unhealthy to be overly obssesed. mrgreen

Lalalalala. Wow, my opinion didn't really have much of a point behind it, huh? Sorrys.

Aristaline

Romantic Fairy

5,600 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:59 pm
Quote:
Minerva, you are completely entitled to your opinion. The fact that I feel the complete opposite as you does not have any affect on you being allowed to have your opinion. I must make it clear however that I love this series. I do believe that there are other great novels out there, I have read some. What you think does not change how I feel at all. I dislike some of seires you have told me about, well from you told me anyway. I can't help but to take how strongly you feel somewhat offensively. If I were to dislike one of your favorite series with as much intensity as you appear to have for Twilight you would be offended as well. I believe that the books are written well, and I'm sorry but you can't change that. You should at least be somewhat tolerant of the books because so many of your friends like them so much. Every time I bring them up you voice your opinion loud and clearly, I know your opinion but I still like talking to you about books. You are normally the first person I go to to talk about any book to begin with. However, seeing as how I am tired of hearing your opinion over and over again I will not even attept to speak with you about any book or series you do not like again. If I believe that you don't like it I won't even bring it up with you.

Animal, you see me in real life, and every time that I've seen you in the last few weeks you've been saying how much you like it. If I told you that I loved clean bedrooms every time that I saw you, then you would get annoyed also. No one online hears my opinion "over and over again," so don't act like me sharing what I think on here is unnecessary, repeated, or wrong.

I never tried to change your opinion; all I said was that I didn't agree and explained why. I'm sure everyone agrees that someone stating, "I hate it. It sucks." without providing reasons to back up their thoughts is useless to the world in general, which is why I refrained from doing so and said what I thought and why I thought it.

You know that I hate Twilight, and that I never keep quiet about what I think (Well, I don't tell random strangers on the street that they're ugly, but you know what I mean.), so did you honestly believe that you could post about it in my guild and have me not reply with my own ideas?

Lots of my friends on Gaia like Twilight, (as you can plainly see) and I wouldn't want to prevent them or you from discussing it with one another. However, I am entitled to say what I think without you getting angry.

Also, I don't believe that you UNDERSTAND my opinion. All you know is that I don't like something that you like a lot, and that bothers you. I said that I don't hate the book itself; I dislike it. What I detest is how popular it is when I don't think it deserves to be. If my dislike for it is going to bother you, then it probably IS best that you don't try to talk to me about in real life anymore. Not talking to me ANY series that I may POSSIBLY dislike seems rather extreme, but if you are convinced that's best I won't attempt to dissuade you.

After all, I don't talk to you about Sirius/Remus fan fictions often - even though I LOVE them and they're very important to me - because I know that you find them awkward as a couple, and I can respect that despite the fact that I intensely disagree. I don't get angry at you for disliking one thing that I enjoy.

I don't believe that what I said was unjustified or offensive, and if you believe it was...Well, I'm sorry that you took it that way, but I'm not going to apologise for stating my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:20 pm
Minerva I never said that it was wrong or anything. Your opinion I mean. Nor did I say that it was pointless for you to state your feelings of it in the guild. Actually I made sure I included two options that I knew you would pick one of. I value your opinion even when I don't like it. Most of the way you took what I said was not how I intended it to come across either. You know me in real life, you should that the way you took it was NOT how I meant it. Like I said before, you are the one who I talk about books with. It isn't that I talk about Twilight to make you mad. It's that it's a book and I'm so used to talking about every book I read with you. Well, the ones I read because I want to not the ones I am required to read. I'm not positive that this is the right place to say that either, but I'm not going to pm it to you and then have the rest of everyone in the guild think that you were right about how I meant everything I said. I'm not sure how to explain it well enough so that there can be no confusion in what I mean either. This was my attempt though.  

Chief Lover_of_Animals

Chief_Blackfoot
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am
Although I haven't read the series, or seen the movie yet,...I am most interested in it now because I have to grab the popcorn as it is...this debate has got to be much more fun than any damn Twilight thingy!!

Let me hear everyone in the guild say *hisss* watch people...they've got they're claws .....listen to them Rrrawwrrrr

Oooopss.......maybe they're fangs are out instead rofl after we are talking about vampires here right?!?!! <---see, staying on subject biggrin

Dang, where did that bowl of popcorn go too....oohhh ..look a fresh bloody mary!! Yum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:09 pm
Animal, I asked someone else that we both know to read your post and they thought that you were annoyed too, so it wasn't just me. Anyway, I'm glad that you weren't actually annoyed. smile

Blackfoot, no drinking alcohol! *shakes disapproving finger* There are children present!

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Captain

Aristaline

Romantic Fairy

5,600 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:30 pm
Well, at least everyone seems happy again. Opinions can do weird things to people.

Meep. When you say 'there's children present' are talking about me? Rawr. ^-^

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:35 pm
Min, to be honest, I agree with you on that yeah, she did just seem to throw the villian in there, but I can't agree with the idea that fans of classical vampire lit can't like them. I love them, and vamp lit is my thing. My favorite book, ever, is Anne Rice's The Vampire Lesat. I have absolutly no problem with Stephenie not knowing about vampires before she wrote the book, because quite frankly, when you read as much vamp lit as I do, the same old stuff gets boring. "Ah, I'm a vampire, sunlight kills me, yada yada yada..." it gets so repetative. But I love vampires so much, I can't just walk away from them. So when something different comes around, it's nice, because it's still what you're intersted in, but it's brand new at the same time. Besides, do you think that every author who ever wrote a mythical book did months of research? That's not writing a fiction novel, it's writing a documentary of myths. When you start writing, it just comes, and that's how every great book happens. To use an example i'm sure you'll understand, Jo didn't try to learn about witchcraft before she started writing Harry Potter on a napkin, did she?

And I have plenty of friends who hate the books as much as I love them, and I have no problem when they point out it's flaws. Half the time, I mock them with the others. Everything has flaws, or it wouldn't work. How could anyone ever love a book if it was perfect? There'd be no fun. It would be inhuman. Though I do have one recommmendation. Twilight was the very first of the series, where it started. Plus, it was her first book. It's shakey, of course. But everything gets better over time. Twilight seems almost like she had a case of ADD, her mind shifting and not tying up loose ends. However, she DOES tie everything up later, in the other books. Of course I wouldn't tell you to read them if you don't want to, but I do believe that you can't say bad things about what you haven't read. So if you read Twilight, only critisize Twilight, because you don't know anything about them.  

ScottieBears MiaKitty

6,250 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Hive Mind 200

Emira Brightleaf

Blessed Miko

11,650 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:48 pm
Good God.... *facepalm* This disagreement never ends.... Alright. I might as well chip in.... Side note :: I suck at debate because I provide my veiw point and my feelings, but I don't give a reason about why I feel that way. Don't hold it against me, please. It's just the way I am.

Book One, Twilight :: As an uber fangirl, I absolutely adore this book. A fangirl's dream is the perfect guy. The knight in shining armor that adores you over life itself, so I understand why girls go gaga over it. I did and still do. But as far a storyline goes, it is unrealistic. and I quote one of my good friends " Oh, and for God's sake no instant-love. I mean in the real world love doesn't come in a packet labeled just add water so why should it while role playing? Love takes time so if you want romance, do it the right way." - K a w a ii K ii s t u n e The story itself is unrealistic, but it's a my perfect dream, so I must adore it, to a level. Obsession is unhealthy.

Book Two, New Moon :: I hated it. Good for her plot, but when the leading man leaves, it's breaks the fangirls heart. I found it depressing. That's when I started to hate some of the characters in the series.

Book Three, Eclipse :: Liked it better than book two, but I truely started to loathe Bella here. Her books where kinda written from the fangirl's point of view, so when the fangirl cannot pick between the leading man and an old friend, I find it selfish and depressing. It's just no.....

Book Four, Breaking Dawn :: At this point, I truely hated some of the characters, so it was kinda hard for me to enjoy it as much as I could have. ummm... I suppose it was good to a point. It wrapped up the series. That's all I can say without giving spoilers to the ones who have yet to read it.

Extra, Midnight Sun :: Loved it. Finished it. Reread it. Loved it more. *faints* It's so... so.... I feel so sorry for her. I understand what it feels like. I'd feel so betrayed by that friend who leaked her book.

Twilight, the Movie :: umm.... It's impossible for anyone in the movie business to reach the greatness of the book, but I give them props. They did reasonibly well, considering they had a lot to live up to. I think they could have found better actors and actresses had they looked harder.

And I just have to say this, Jasper looked like SWEENY TODD!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Extra-Extra, The Host :: OMG!!! *faints* The best thing ever. I'd say It's better than the Twilight series. Loved it.

And I agree with Minerva. There are better things to read. Like Artemis Fowl.

Shh, the Librarians Will Never Know We're Here!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games