Reply Community Lounge
Love it! Notebooks. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sahihen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:47 am
So I splurged and bought myself a MacBook Pro. .. It's the 15' 2.4 ghz model with Mac os x 10.5 leopard. I know I should really have gone out and done a whole whack of research before ever buying something like a laptop and one that's really expensive... But I didn't do to much and I don't know much about computers. I hope to change that..

Anyway I need some help trying to figure out what kind of anti-virus software I should get. I've heard some of the products tend to have holes that can leave your computer unprotected and that macs can be hard to get anti-virus software for.
Both of the other computers both have Norton and it works okay but it loves to ask if it can download updates... and I did hear about it slowing down you internet.

So what would you guys recommend in terms of anti-virus software and other things to help me switch over from a pc?
If someone knows how to use Photoshop could you also give me a few tips too?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:14 pm
Well from experiences using my MacBook, I never had an anti-virus software on it. So far, I have yet to have a virus or any hackers get on my laptop.

But if you really want to get one, McAfee makes an anti-virus for the Mac.  

Brunswick

invisible-weirdo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:36 pm
Macs don't really need anti-virus stuffs >.> Since there are like no viruses that attack Macs...That's one of the big pros for Apple products.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:41 pm
invisible-weirdo
Macs don't really need anti-virus stuffs >.> Since there are like no viruses that attack Macs...That's one of the big pros for Apple products.

Don't say that. Just don't. That will only incense the undesirables of cyberspace...  

124-C

invisible-weirdo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:50 pm
Um...good point. -_-
Uh...IGNORE ME sweatdrop

...I'll leave now >.>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:13 pm
Macs do so get viruses. When I did customer service for Microsmack, I encountered a few people who
a) were stupid enough to call Microsoft about their Mac and
b) were infected with "Antivirus" 2009.

biggrin  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Sentama Lin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:59 pm
To be frank I can't recommend anything by McAfee or Symantec as a good and reliable anti-virus solution; there are better solutions out there for people who can do a few more steps. For Mac OS X I recommend ClamXAV because it's free and it is the same antivirus engine that powers many of the web-email services out there (Google Mail is one of these). It's a bit harder to set up, but it works very well.

As for the issue of viruses on the OS X platform, it's good to have an antivirus on OS X but not exactly because of any current virus threats. Rather, it's to save the people that one sends files to.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:36 am
Thanks guys for the help. biggrin

@Invis- Lol. I wouldn't want to jinx it either.
@Tae- Some people are pretty dumb out there... Unless it was a prank call. ... Mac's are expensive and I can't really picture someone like that with one... But you never know with the people out there.
And "Ant-virus" 2009? ... Sounds like something to fight a virus not infect your computer.
@Sentama- I don't really like Symantec, it slowed down our computer and likes to download things.
Thanks, I'll have to check into ClamXAV a bit.
What makes it hard set up? I don't know to much about computers so would I have trouble?

I think it's funny that as a mac user I can run around possibly infecting other while staying immune unless I also have windows on here. Although it is bad and I'll need to get something to protect others as well as myself. I wouldn't wish a virus on someone.
There is still that chance I can get a virus too.  

sahihen

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:38 pm
Saihen: Antivirus 2009 is malware, and it's intentionally named antivirus so that people will believe it's intended to help, not to harm. It does a "scan" of your computer in seconds, insists that you have multiple generic threats, and then insists that you pay to get the "full version" of the program so that it will remove the threats for you. rolleyes It also blocks access to most websites and disables any real security software you might have.

It wasn't a prank call. : D The customer was just really stupid.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:13 pm
It's a bit harder because the quality of the interface isn't as nice as most other third-party Mac OS X applications. Granted, it's not that hard (in fact, Apple already has most of the things set up so it's ClamAV-ready when it comes to Tiger or higher) but there is a lot more set up involved.  

Sentama Lin

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:09 am
Do want.
-O=O-
Less than a half a day left:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Less than two days left:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:29 am
@Tae- Lol. I should have expected they were just really dumb. I wouldn't go trusting something that scans your computer for free and then asks you to pay for the full version.
It seems familiar... Eh. I most likely heard of it somewhere.

@Lin- It shouldn't be to bad then because I have Leopard. I'll have to do more digging and see what I feel is good.

@Steph- Want a Mac??  

sahihen

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:32 am
I want a MB Pro like you has... I fell in love with 'em when I saw this kid in my Speech class with one. :drools:
-O=O-
Less than a half a day left:
Less than two days left:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:05 am
Yeah, I've had it for less than a week and I love it. The one thing that bugs me is I have to get used to the keys being big and so far apart. Other than that. It's easy to navigate through things, the dock is awsome and saves you from a clutered desktop.
There's also no lag when starting the computer. The family pc takes hours... and I'm not exagerating there's to many applications.
That's another plus with a mac its not loaded with things you don't need or use. You fill it with what you want and it integrates really well.  

sahihen

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:08 am
I don't understand the big deal with Macs... Sure, they're better at Media editing and that kinda stuff... I can see why someone interested in that would want one, but like... Really? Adobe makes a great line of products for media editing, whether it be Picture, Movie, or Audio. Plus, I mean.. You could always just BUILD your own computer, and it'd be better than anything than you could get in the store..  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff