I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
GMO's Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think GMO's are the solution to World Hunger? Would you eat them?
  Yes
  No
  Maybe
  Idk because I don't have enough information to decide
View Results

CuddleMuffin Luna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:44 pm
What do you know about GMO's (Genetically Modified Organisms) ?
Do you think they are safe?
Would you eat them?
Are bio-technology and GMO's the soluton to world hunger?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:54 pm
Has anyone read the manga called bio-meat?

Because that makes me not want to eat GMO's. >_>;

Although, if they gave people superpowers...

What I'm more interested are glass garden towers were they have a field on top of a field with care regulated by automated care.

=w=  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:00 pm
I dunno...I kinda prefer my meat to have been alive before...as in, naturally alive. neutral  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:12 pm
How is growing GMO's any different from stem-cell research, minus the obvious discrepancy in the purpose?  

The Dinosaur Next Door

Trish the Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:14 pm
GMO doesn't necessarily mean it's not alive. It just means the DNA/genetics are different. And there is NO WAY that it can harm you unless the DNA or genetic code is changed into Cyanide or something. As long as you digest it then it can't ******** hurt you, dur.

I would totally eat a GMO as long as it was alive to begin with and not made of something I wouldn't eat anyway.

-La Belle Isolde-

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

My Scroll  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:15 pm
Blu_the_werecat
I dunno...I kinda prefer my meat to have been alive before...as in, naturally alive. neutral
It's really just selective breeding on genetic scale rather than a mating scale, that's all.

-La Belle Isolde-

My Scroll  

Trish the Stalker

invisible-weirdo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:04 pm
Like Belle said, GMOs are pretty much the product of selective breeding. Except faster >.>

When you think about it, most of the animals we eat have been bred for maximum output(? Dunno if that would be the correct term in this situation, but it's the only one that comes to mind at the moment...>.>); in each generation, we only choose to breed the ones with a thicker coat, more fatty meat, etc. etc... That is essentially what GMOs do, except instead of having to wait several generations, we can just dive into their DNA to make the changes immediate.
Though of course, I personally don't think that we have to worry about GMO-based products filling up the supermarket just yet. I don't think we're quite at that point where we can mess with an organism's DNA and get the result we wanted right away (that and cost and all that other fun stuff).

Of course, I could just be babbling/spouting words that have no real factual basis and you should probably ignore me if that's the case sweatdrop

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:09 pm
Remind me to do that when making children. 8D  

Jafthasleftthebuilding
Vice Captain

CuddleMuffin Luna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:09 pm
The problem with GMO's (such as GM corn) is that new proteins are being made to "improve" the crop (which i actually think it is great idea) but unfortunately humans can't digest this new protein. That corn is currently ONLY being used for ethanol (another good thing about it) and to feed cattle. I know there have been some cases of cattle getting sick because even though they have 4 stomachs, they still can't really break down the new protein. And cows are being injected with lots of antibiotics, and bacteria are becoming resistant to these antibiotics...well at least this is what i've learned from my environmental science professor.

Other GM crops being grown in the US are Cotton seed, Canola, and Soy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:15 pm
Blu_the_werecat

I know. It always gives me a feeling of satisfaction when I know that something was brutally slaughtered just so I could enjoy eating it.

=3  

AlcoholicPancake
Crew

3,100 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Voter 0

Trish the Stalker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:43 am
CuddleMuffin Luna
The problem with GMO's (such as GM corn) is that new proteins are being made to "improve" the crop (which i actually think it is great idea) but unfortunately humans can't digest this new protein. That corn is currently ONLY being used for ethanol (another good thing about it) and to feed cattle. I know there have been some cases of cattle getting sick because even though they have 4 stomachs, they still can't really break down the new protein. And cows are being injected with lots of antibiotics, and bacteria are becoming resistant to these antibiotics...well at least this is what i've learned from my environmental science professor.

Other GM crops being grown in the US are Cotton seed, Canola, and Soy
What do antibiotics have to do with GMO's? It happens in people too, most predominently with the AIDS and HIV medications, as there are many different resistant strains of the diseases. There are tons of resistant diseases and insects due to drugs and pesticides but that has nothing to do with GMO's.

And yes, new proteins can become undigestable, that's why you don't feed it to people all over the place without checking it out first because it is technically a new food on the market. It would be like selling blowfish next to the salmon because they're both fish so they must be okay.

The canola and cotton would be for non-ingestable purposes and I'm guessing there's very little post-refinement that would remain hazardous (fuel, clothing).

-La Belle Isolde-

My Scroll

Vote for my avatar!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:35 pm
unless it wasn't already living, I absolutly refuse to eat it.
Ha-ha Pancake. I think you just made me realize how much I enjoy killed animals.  

Skorndrick

Gracious Prophet

4,750 Points
  • Married 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Tycoon 200

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:27 pm
:hiss:
If you wouldn't do it to a human baby, you shouldn't do it to an animal. And also, GMOs sound like something that could easily contain allergens or potentially dangerous compounds. I wouldn't eat them as long as meat from a real animal was available.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:35 pm
xxstephasaurusxxrexxx
If you wouldn't do it to a human baby, you shouldn't do it to an animal. And also, GMOs sound like something that could easily contain allergens or potentially dangerous compounds. I wouldn't eat them as long as meat from a real animal was available.

Not really, it's not like they're just playing with things. They think it out very carefully beforehand and there is much testing before they put it on the market. To be honest, with all the careful undertaking it probably has to go through to get onto the market it's probably safer than regular food.

And I think, despite the controversy, some people would likely do it to humans if they could to save lives.

-La Belle Isolde-

My Scroll

Vote for my avatar!  

Trish the Stalker

The Dinosaur Next Door

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:47 pm
La Belle Isolde
xxstephasaurusxxrexxx

Not really, it's not like they're just playing with things. They think it out very carefully beforehand and there is much testing before they put it on the market. To be honest, with all the careful undertaking it probably has to go through to get onto the market it's probably safer than regular food.

And I think, despite the controversy, some people would likely do it to humans if they could to save lives.

-La Belle Isolde-

My Scroll

Well, my personal opinions aside, I agree that humans probably would take advantage of other humans in the same way...
I haven't researched much beyond the basics, so I'm not very knowledgeable...  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff