Reply SCA Guild
Sewing/craft help and advice Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

So, can you help me?
  Yes, yes I can!
  I'm sorry, I don't sew very well, either.
  Other.
View Results

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:22 pm
So I started this dress when I was 16 or 17 (I'm 20 now). It's a 14 gore dress in a lovely red linen/poly. So, here's the problem. When I was first making it, I didn't line it, and I didn't leave enough seam allowance to double over the seams. I'm not that fantastic a seamstress, yet, (Jill of all trades, mistress of none) so I don't know how to fix this myself... but I don't want to have this lovely dress all rough and uncomfortable on the inside.

I'd really rather not have to take it apart... it would take days, and I'm not sure how well the fabric would hold up.

Help me fix it?

General purpose of this thread: Get advice and help in crafts, advance your knowledge through other peoples' trials and errors.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:09 pm
well... if you're really bent on finishing those seams without tearing off the sleeves and lining the dress, you could use the button hole (blanket) stitch to sew the seams together... but it'd be really tedious if your sewing machine can't do it, or do it well.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:24 pm
Thank you. I've basically decided that I'm going to do that in my spare time (hah!) but until then I'll plan to make another one... the right way.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:22 pm
Llelwyn
Thank you. I've basically decided that I'm going to do that in my spare time (hah!) but until then I'll plan to make another one... the right way.

no problem! I hope the next one works out better for you...  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Courtesan Brigitte

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:02 pm
I agree, this is probably the simplest and sanest way to handle this problem. I myself don't normally line things, and while I've never had an issue with it, I know vikings aren't the best judges of such things.

Good luck!  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:57 pm

Hrmm....I'm going to like...temporarily steal this thread. Sorry. Heh. I have a problem also. ....anyone have experiance in corset making, mayhaps?

Calamity Rose

6,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100

Arithrel
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:49 pm
Zeyphyer

Hrmm....I'm going to like...temporarily steal this thread. Sorry. Heh. I have a problem also. ....anyone have experiance in corset making, mayhaps?

My mom makes my corsets, but I should be learning how to make them soon. I could probably get information from her...what do you need to know?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:47 pm

Well, roughly.....everything >.< ...I really like them. But have no clue as how to make them....heh....There is a Simplicity pattern for them, and a site that sells a kit for it, but my parents still think I'll just wear it once. Hrrmm...I'm still debating if it could be used as garb...

Calamity Rose

6,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:26 am
Zeyphyer

Well, roughly.....everything >.< ...I really like them. But have no clue as how to make them....heh....There is a Simplicity pattern for them, and a site that sells a kit for it, but my parents still think I'll just wear it once. Hrrmm...I'm still debating if it could be used as garb...

it can be used as garb depending on how it looks... it's usually worn UNDER garb, as it's basically underwear... but they're very nice to have, and make most bodices look a lot better.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:20 pm

Yeah, I was planning on using it under garb. Using it on top is just silly. Not to mention historically inacurate.

Calamity Rose

6,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100

Llelwyn

Eloquent Lunatic

7,200 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:32 pm
Well, corsetry really does depend on what period your persona is. The style (and whether or not they were worn) depends entirely on time period, region, class, etc. So! Tell us about yourself. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:03 pm

Oh. Yes, now about that. Umm...how can I put this....I haven't signed up yet. But I blame it on my parents. I can't until I'm older. So, right now, I'm gathering garb ideas. And I happen to lurve corsets, so I'm trying to find one I can use once I do start paricipating in the SCA. Teeheehee.

Calamity Rose

6,550 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100

Kuro Tori

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:50 pm
Zeyphyer

Oh. Yes, now about that. Umm...how can I put this....I haven't signed up yet. But I blame it on my parents. I can't until I'm older. So, right now, I'm gathering garb ideas. And I happen to lurve corsets, so I'm trying to find one I can use once I do start paricipating in the SCA. Teeheehee.

google it. There are many patterns out there with info on how to make them and more. I haven't made one yet but it sounds simple. The only hard part is probably the boning  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:24 pm
and coming up with strong period fabrics  

Kuro Tori

LucyQ602

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:56 am
Zeyphyer

this may sound a little odd but the best bodice I have ever owned was made from a custom made ducktape pattern. my sister basicaly put me in an old shirt and wraped me up redface  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff