Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply 21+
Any Photographers in here? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Anyone interested in a Weekly Digital Photo Contest?
  Yes
  Not really
  Other (please explain in a post)
View Results

dakotarayne
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:34 pm
Do we have any photographers either amateur or professional in this guild?

I was just wondering what kind of equipment you are currently using.
I am looking to get back into photography, but I really have no idea what I need. I was thinking a DSLR camera, but beyond that, I really dont know. I know it really depends on what I am taking pictures of. For now, a general setup would be nice.

Also wondering what kind of photo editing software you use. Thanks for the interest.

Would anyone be interested in a weekly photo contest? Im sure there could be some kind of prizes. We could have several categories... Etc Etc, Just looking for interest at the moment.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:33 pm
I do a little bit of photography here and there and have been considering for many years getting a DSLR camera. I hear a new crop of cameras with new features will be coming out soon. I've heard a lot of people swear by the Canon Rebel. It's definitely a pricey investment though.

As for photo editing, I used to use an old version of Paint Shop Pro (PSP 7) and that had enough basic capabilities for me. I mostly just crop and alter levels and maybe add text. Now I have Photoshop, though. Photoshop Elements is perfect for photo editing and substantially cheaper, though, and a little less bloated as a program. I'd probably recommend that if you were going to get something new.  

kekadu
Crew

Bakura Amane

Adorable Marshmallow

19,175 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:37 pm
I'll explain more tonight (when I have more time), but yes I'm a shutter bug. I use a simple point and shoot digital camera (from Kodak) AND an SLR non digital that my dad gave me when I was 23 approximately. I also inherited (indirectly) all his old SLRs. I rarely use photo editing software, but when I do I use the picture editor that came with my computer...microsoft picture editor or something like that. I have used other editors, but don't have them installed on my computer. xd Well, that's all for now...I'll explain more tonight. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:11 pm
I'd be interested in any kind of themed contest type thing. If only for motivation cause I seem to lack that since finishing college (I majored in photo).

Anyway, I have a digital (Canon 30D) and I can answer most questions you may have regarding purchasing a digital or film slr. My passion lies in homemade (pinhole) and toy cameras as well as polaroid cameras so I don't shoot with the digital as much as I should considering how much it cost.

As far as photo editing, I've only used Adobe Photoshop and I love it.

i am ponkie

Levina-jade

Lady Bunny

33,515 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:12 pm
kekadu
I do a little bit of photography here and there and have been considering for many years getting a DSLR camera. I hear a new crop of cameras with new features will be coming out soon. I've heard a lot of people swear by the Canon Rebel. It's definitely a pricey investment though.

As for photo editing, I used to use an old version of Paint Shop Pro (PSP 7) and that had enough basic capabilities for me. I mostly just crop and alter levels and maybe add text. Now I have Photoshop, though. Photoshop Elements is perfect for photo editing and substantially cheaper, though, and a little less bloated as a program. I'd probably recommend that if you were going to get something new.

Photoshop Elements *drools* if i ever get some extra money thats at the top of my list.

though i only dabble in photography as in one needs pics so i can scrapebook, i've got a kodak easy share pretty good for an idiot like me, though i am gonna eventualy look for something with a faster shutter speed and (dont know if this is possable) one that dosnt blur if i move the camera while taking the pic.

Taking pics of indy cars going 250 mph is tricky with my cheap cam...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:33 pm
Great idea! I love to play with my camara though by no means would I consider myself a photographer. It's photoshop for me too.  

chibihotachan

AntoniaMerEnfant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:10 pm
Myself I'm a fan of Nikkon brand-wise.

I'm also very pro-photo-contests smile I'm always to tempted to post more photos here, but hate to slam the photo thread with more than personal p-hotos.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:28 pm
It's been a long time since I considered my photography any good, but that doesn't stop me from doing it ALLATIME. I LOVE taking pictures, though, like a dork, the subject is almost always my critters.

I have a manual, film SLR that since I don't have a dark room (somedaysomedaysomeday) I don't bother with much as I am not in a class. But as for my digitals, I would LOVE a Rebel but I am not rich. I really like my cameras though. I have 2 that I use. I have my big one that I use for set up stuff... a Kodak ES Z760, but I will be honest what I use more than ANYTHING is my little one... My Nikon Coolpix S210.

I always have my Nikon in my purse. ALWAYS. This is my 3rd Nikon over the years (and my smallest. My gosh they are getting tiny! It's about the size of my cell phone!) and I have been VERY pleased with them all. I love it. It even does videos with sound. I haven't really got into that, but it seems like that will be really fun.

Oh, and I would love photo contests  

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

chibihotachan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:55 pm
Oh yeah, I always have my camara in my purse too (never know when you'll see a pretty flower or a cute squirle being, uh, squirly. It's a cute pink Casio 10 megapixel, I LOVE it and it's PINK heart  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:43 pm
I use a Samsung Nv-10 that i pretty much carry it with me always. I would love to see a photo contest I think that would be a blast! Plus I would just like to see more of what Antonia can come up with.  

Raien3

dakotarayne
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:10 pm
I think we will open up a subforum for photography. Just as long as we dont take anything away from the Art subforum.

The new subforum will be open soon. xp  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:12 pm
If you would like to see something specific in the new forum, please let me or one of the mods know.

Thanks  

dakotarayne
Vice Captain

Sablara
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:16 pm
What a fantastic idea!
I am not great at photography, so will probably never enter...but I would always vote.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:41 am
well, maybe a monthly photo contest would be great with special themes. like pets or halloween or people.  

Ameliechan

9,850 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Partygoer 500

RisuNyfiken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:54 pm
That would be cool.

I dabble here and there with a digital camera. I dont' have a photobucket account yet. I've got a flickr page though. I'm more just of a do it for interest, so not a whole lot of it is that great.  
21+

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff