How do you handle the regular forums?
  With ease!
  With a pinch of salt.
  With a stick!
  With gold!!
View Results

Wyst

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:07 pm
I 'm just about getting to the point where this is the only place where I feel like I can post without being hounded by trolls or people who have no idea what they (or anyone else) are talking about.

There just isn't a resonable way to tell someone anymore, "Hey, you're inexperienced and full of crap. If you don't beleive me, at least chew what's being said instead of shooting off at the mouth with pseudo-jibberish-kiddie-psychology you picked up out of god knows where!!"

*Takes a deep breath*

There. I can't say any more. So tired of the regular forums. I'mgoingto read a book. Maybe if I read something someone actually had to edit and think over, I'll feel a little better.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:42 pm
Word Games seems to be the only island of sanity in the intellectual black hole that is the rest of Gaia. I've heard good things about extended discussion too, but I never go there, myself  

Headhunter
Crew

Wyst

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:39 pm
Headhunter
Word Games seems to be the only island of sanity in the intellectual black hole that is the rest of Gaia. I've heard good things about extended discussion too, but I never go there, myself

Extended discussion is where I usually go.. that and Lifestyle discussion...

Even ED is getting tot he point where there's no more point in talking. In fact, my last go around happened there. stressed  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:12 pm
I only post in Site Feedback and not very often. I am more into guilds.  

Tillisnut

Aged Survivor

23,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Voter 100

Noirkaze

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:09 pm
Rarely do I ever go into the fourms any more. I feel your pain.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:33 pm
I know exactly what you mean! I only ever venture out into the main forums for events! Otherwise, this guild (and a few games) are it for me!  

Doressa
Captain

Bakura Amane

Adorable Marshmallow

19,175 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:16 pm
Doressa
I know exactly what you mean! I only ever venture out into the main forums for events! Otherwise, this guild (and a few games) are it for me!
3nodding That goes double for me. I used to be a crew member in another guild, but that guild demoted me for lack of activity and I rarely if ever go there any more. My other guilds just sort of sit there, too. I think this is the only guild I go to regularly AND feel at home. I only go out into the main area for events and even then I look for people near my age or older. confused
Anyway, thanks for always being here for me, everyone! heart blaugh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:49 pm
Browsing the forums can be a pain indeed. I went to extended discussion once, but someone was rather uncivil with their response. It's almost as if a friendly debate of opinions is impossible to do from my experience.

That, and lack of punctuation and coherency on some of the regular forums give me headaches.

It's much more comfortable to be able to hold discussion in guilds like this (Even if I admittedly don't frequent this guild regularly).  

GB_Lady

Ybrik

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:46 pm
Wyst
I 'm just about getting to the point where this is the only place where I feel like I can post without being hounded by trolls or people who have no idea what they (or anyone else) are talking about.

There just isn't a resonable way to tell someone anymore, "Hey, you're inexperienced and full of crap. If you don't beleive me, at least chew what's being said instead of shooting off at the mouth with pseudo-jibberish-kiddie-psychology you picked up out of god knows where!!"

*Takes a deep breath*

There. I can't say any more. So tired of the regular forums. I'mgoingto read a book. Maybe if I read something someone actually had to edit and think over, I'll feel a little better.

Tell me about it. I remember posting somewhere else and rather than talking about the conversation rationally, the other people just kept putting me down for feeling differently. It was all very immature. Everyone on this guild is so nice and friendly. THANKS PEEPS! biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:02 pm
I couldn't agree more with this thread so far. I mostly stay away from the forums on Gaia and other sites, but I'm a film person, so I sometimes peruse the discussions on IMDB. It makes me fear for the future of humanity. I get so sick of 'thid movie suckd everyune who likes it is an idiot ans dont kno wut there good movie you shoud go bak to teh...'

I don't even know how to finish that. It's not verbatim, but it is a fair representation of a normal post on those forums. I'm new to this guild, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the intelligence, civility, and maturity that is present.

I'm always afraid I sound pretentious, so I'll end with the joke about the peanut being assaulted. (Rats, I blew the punchline.)  

Sheboygan Milad

Sablara
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:59 am
I post in the "bump" threads for gold...and some polls.
I totally agree with everyone - the quality of threads outside our own little guild is poor. crying  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:47 am
It's a huge problem.

Especially since I want to let people know there is a haven here- but how do I do that without venturing out into Main Gaia? Unfortunately after ten minutes of 13 year olds, I say screw it and focus more on the retention side of the guild.

When I tell people I am a mod for a guild on gaia the response is "Oh Gaia...". It's hard to explain to them that this guild is a community onto itself. I'd really like to take back Gaia for adults- but unfortunately Gaia is becoming increasingly tween-targeted.

I kind of wish the site split for an over 21 (or even over 1 cool Gaia. Like Gaia for adults.

And Sheboygan, it's not pretentious in the least. The rest of Gaia (and much of the net) makes me weep for the massive deficiency in spelling and grammar for a generation. I'm not talking about net spellings ("teh" "meh" "nomnoms" "kewel") but rather simple words butchered. The only time I automatically declined a request to join the guild was one where so much was misspelled I could not interpret it.

If people who do not speak English as a first language can be coherent so should teenagers who have been raised all their life to speak it. I really do wonder- when did we stop caring about writing? Are teachers just lowering the standards or are these mass droves of teens failing English miserably? I mean so much of what I see misspelled is content on a 1st grader's vocabulary.  

AntoniaMerEnfant

Sablara
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:19 pm
Excuse me for asking...I think I'm showing my age...but....what is 'nomnoms'?
redface  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:02 pm
Sablara
redface

Um....this may not be the exact explaination, but it's fun.

http://speaklolspeak.com/page/Nom?t=anon  

RisuNyfiken

Doressa
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:23 pm
Sablara
redface

Thank God it wasn't just me!  
21+

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas