Reply An abnormal love of cats
Need advice on kittens Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Naitael

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:55 pm
So my boyfriend and I took in a pregnant stray Sunday night, planning on dropping her off at a shelter the next day. But by that time, I was already attached to her, and begged him to let me keep her. But now we're trying to prepare for the arrival of her kittens, and I'm looking for advice.

I made a box for her, it's big enough for her to stretch out in comfortably, and wide enough that she'll be comfortable for a while with the growing kittens. I closed up the flaps, but trimmed them so she can get in and out easily, but the bottom flap is about 4in. tall, so the kittens can't get out. I put an old fleece blanket in it.

Anyways, I'm not sure where to put the box. Our bathroom is tiny, so it's out of the question. Plus, it's not very well ventilated, so if someone takes a shower, the steam stays in for hours, even with the door open. Our bedroom is also tiny. My problem is, we have another cat, male, about a year old. I want Little Mama to feel comfortable, and I'm not sure she'll be able to if Domino (our other cat) is wandering around. Also, I had to make a second box similar to the first, because as soon as I made the first box, Domino wanted to lay in it!

I was thinking of putting the box under our dining room table, or trying to fit it in the open closet, so at least she would have a little bit of protection and privacy. Any thoughts?

She's very far along, I can feel kittens inside of her, and whenever she stays still, you can see them wiggling around in her stomach. She's not lactating (yet), but her nether parts are a little enlarged, if you catch my drift. So is there any warning signs or behaviors that I should be watching for, because I can't be home with her all the time. I know to watch for nesting, restlessness, paying excessive attention to nipples/v****a, and meowing a lot, but is there anything else?

Yesterday, I was feeling her belly, and I could feel a little kitten paw pressing against my finger whee I'm so excited!  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:31 am
Ok I think she's nesting. She tried to get behind the couch last night and got herself stuck. Then she tried it again. And every time we open the bedroom door, she runs straight under the bed, and won't come out. But she won't investigate the boxes I made.

My other cat is using them, though. I think he thinks he's nesting. Silly kitty.  

Naitael

Naitael

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:44 am
AAAAH sorry for posting so soon after the last one, but I think her water broke or something. There was a bloody, clear discharge on the floor, plus a mucusy puddle - maybe the mucus plug? She's still acting pretty normal, though. We're going to lock her in the bathroom tonight while we're at work. Hopefully she'll wait with the kittens until we get back.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:47 pm
It could have broke, that's exciting!

Just a little note: It can take more than a day for all the kittens to be born. smile  

Temily_Emily
Crew

Star Consumer

19,150 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Champion 300
  • Invisibility 100

NightWolvesCry

Friendly Gaian

4,300 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:07 pm
Thats awsome
I would just watch incase of any complications that would require going to the vet.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:35 pm
So I got home from work about midnight (her water broke at 1pm). First thing I did was to check on her. And guess what... 5 kittens!!! I'm not sure if she's done yet or not, though, cause her belly still feels a little weird. But she was nursing them and purring, so maybe she is. I kinda hope so, 5 kittens is enough for me. I'll try to get a picture later, but there's 2 orange ones and 3 blackish ones.

And she let me pet her... and them! She's such a good little mama...

User Image  

Naitael

cardi

Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:54 am
congratulations! oh my, 5 kittens is a lot, but it sounds very exciting. i don't have much experience with mama cats, but i'm very excited for you ^^. i hope the new mama cat and her little ones are okay.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:05 am
Aw, You made me want one. heart  

Capricornus_Equus

Angel Of Hellsing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:31 am
AWWW so cute!! i wanna newborn kitten now >.>  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:32 pm
They're so sweet >.< They're 3 days old now. We've already contacted a no-kill shelter, and they can take the kittens in when they're ready at 8 weeks. But since then I've been asking around if anyone wants a kitten, not really expecting to get a yes, and found 2 people at my work who told me to keep them updated on the kittens. Also, my boyfriend's sister is probably going to keep one. My mom is coming up in a few weeks, too, and knowing how she is, she'll probably talk my dad into taking one. She's got a soft spot for grey tabbys, and one of the kittens for sure is a grey tabby.

Their squeaks are starting to sound more like meows.  

Naitael

Kay-VW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:10 am
Oh, kittens are just so cute. Two of my cats are going to have kittens! biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:49 pm
User Image  

Naitael

Kay-VW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:59 pm
Sharreina
User Image

Oh, those kittens are so cute!! 4laugh biggrin The orange ones look like my cat Twinkles when he was a kitten.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:39 pm
so cute! gonk heart  

cardi

Cat

Temily_Emily
Crew

Star Consumer

19,150 Points
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Champion 300
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:38 pm