cat [and kage] in need of help! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kage-ookami4

Dangerous Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:02 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. there is a wonderful female black cat who has taken up residence in my back yard. she is VERY affectionate, good with other cats, calm and likes to be held. she's been here for 2 weeks now and i suspect she is pregnant. i don't want to bring her to a shelter but i can't keep a another cat. if anyone in the albany, ny area is interested in being a cat mama shoot me a PM. she desperately wants to be someone's kitty cat again. i can not go outside my house with out her following me. she sits at the back door, cries and pounds on the glass. it's heart breaking.

also, if anyone has any advice on caring for a pregnant cat please share! until i can find her a home i intend to look after her as well as i do my boys. i have little experience with pregger cats.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:39 am
I'm afraid I can't be of too much help on either front - I'm no where near NY and I don't know anyone in the area, and my experience with pregnant cats is limited to what I've read in books.

You might try posting ads for the cat on your local Freecycle mailing list (http://www.freecycle.org/), the Albany kijiji (http://albany.kijiji.com/) and putting a posting on any community bulletin boards (here, most grocery stores, health food stores and the humane society all have boards where you can post ads for pet give-a-ways).

Far as care of pregnant cats goes, all I can recommend is that you feed her a diet that is higher in fat and protein than regular adult cat food - if you feed a commercial cat food then you should probably switch her over to a high quality kitten food. She'll probably also eat more than a regular adult cat for her size, which is fine. Vitamin supplements might also be beneficial, though I couldn't suggest exactly what to give her.

Do you know how far along she is? As she gets close to having the kittens, if you plan on bringing her inside you should probably do so, so she doesn't have them outdoors. Set up a nesting box in a secluded area with towels so she has a comfortable place to give birth.

Oh, just a thought, since she's super friendly and doesn't sound at all feral, have you taken her to the humane society to have her checked for a tattoo and microchip? It sounds like she may be someone's pet who got lost.  

Anlina
Captain

kage-ookami4

Dangerous Ladykiller

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:46 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. she doesn't seem too far along... i would take her inside but my parents have forbid that. they want it gone ASAP.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:06 am
Aww that sucks. Do you have a sheltered space like under a porch, that you could place a box for her?

I don't know if this is even an option for you financially, but it might be wise to get her spayed before she has her kittens. A whole litter could be awfully difficult to find homes for, if you plan to take responsibility for that.  

Anlina
Captain

kage-ookami4

Dangerous Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:03 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. she's staying in the garage at the moment (although she prefers to sit in a padded lawn chair most of the time). i'm trying to find a home for her before she starts popping them out. there is a pet store near by that mentioned interest in any kittens i can't find homes for though. they have a nice little room for kittens to play in there.

i noticed today i'm not the only one feeding her at least. i'm trying to move out at the moment and i've considered taking her myself but all the places here that allow pets want non-refundable deposits... that are very expensive D:<. my boyfriend is growing attached to her but he can't take her to his dorm.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:45 am
i'm on the other side of the country so i can't be of much help, but i hope this little mama cat will be okay.

i had to pay $750 in pet deposits at my new apartment for mitts and grumbles. ouch @_x. it's during these times that i think about buying my own place. but of course, that comes with a whole 'nother can of worms.

cardi

Cat

Hello Reiia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:39 pm
FIRST, TOTALLY NOT CAT RELATED: I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!!

-ahem-
Well, first off, I really hope she's not pregnant. My cat died from getting pregnant because she went crazy and was killed in a traffic of incoming cars. Tragic story. sad

Anyway I really don't know what so say for what you should do with her. I'd take her to the pound, and the pound where I stay would definitely help her out. Personally, that would probably be the best thing for her now if no one's going to take responsibility/ownership.

Good luck!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:36 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. update on the story:
i've been trying to find a shelter with room for her. the pound here isn't a no kill shelter so that's a last resort. kittens always do well for adoptions, but adult cats not so much.

so far no luck. every one i talk to is like "sorry no room please foster this cat"... well if i could foster the damn thing i wouldn't be looking for a shelter >_<. i'll probably be moving out this june and can't even take my own cats let alone this one. the places that do allow pets either allow just one (with expensive non refundable deposit) or have a ridiculous amount of fees and requirements.

kage-ookami4

Dangerous Ladykiller

cardi

Cat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:21 am
i'm sorry to hear that ;_;. i hope this mama cat will have a happy ending soon.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:34 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ugh... another update.

same old crap. none of the shelters have any room (even the kill shelter) WTF D:<. the weather has been nice at least and i made her a little box/ nest in the garage. she's still as affectionate and playful as ever.

kage-ookami4

Dangerous Ladykiller

Kaiija

Moonlight Prophet

6,950 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:28 pm
I live in NY, but sadly I live on LI...=[
If she has the kittens before you can get her a place, I suggest keeping her in the garage. She might move the kittens if you don't or they might run away and get lost/killed/become snacks for hawks >.>'
The kittens should be easy to get a home for (stand outside a supermarket, for some reason people always take them xD) or bring some to the pet store like you said before. As for Mama, would it be a terrible thing to maybe have her as an outdoor cat? I know it sounds harsh (especially in winter) but it's better then a kill shelter. Plus, she has your garage biggrin
Also, I know there are a few catteries and cat sanctuaries up in the Albabny area, you could try and find a local one and see if they'll take her. A cattery might not want her, but a cat sanctuary is usually more than happy to help.

Bah. I wrote you a book xD
I've just fostered sooo many cats, haha  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:31 pm
Kaiija
I live in NY, but sadly I live on LI...=[
If she has the kittens before you can get her a place, I suggest keeping her in the garage. She might move the kittens if you don't or they might run away and get lost/killed/become snacks for hawks >.>'
The kittens should be easy to get a home for (stand outside a supermarket, for some reason people always take them xD) or bring some to the pet store like you said before. As for Mama, would it be a terrible thing to maybe have her as an outdoor cat? I know it sounds harsh (especially in winter) but it's better then a kill shelter. Plus, she has your garage biggrin
Also, I know there are a few catteries and cat sanctuaries up in the Albabny area, you could try and find a local one and see if they'll take her. A cattery might not want her, but a cat sanctuary is usually more than happy to help.

Bah. I wrote you a book xD
I've just fostered sooo many cats, haha

I agree. Try to find a cat sanctuary! 3nodding I hope they can find a home.  

MadamTarantula

kage-ookami4

Dangerous Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:14 pm
User Image long time no update... heh.
well i have now moved out and i am currently catless... D:

but as for the black kitty, she started spending a lot of time on the neighbor's steps... these people aren't known for being nice people around the neighborhood but i guess they have a kind heart because they have taken her in.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:16 pm
I'm glad to hear that she found a home. Too bad you couldn't keep her, but at least you don't have to worry about her now.  

Anlina
Captain

kage-ookami4

Dangerous Ladykiller

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:18 pm
User Image i wish the landlord would let me have pets... my mom just got a puppy and my cat smokey is not taking it well. he's not eating enough because the puppy gobbles up all the food.

i'd probably get in over my head though, i'd be taking in every stray in the city. sweatdrop

An abnormal love of cats

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff