Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:43 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:49 pm
fortunately i haven't embarassed myself too badly yet... at least not around royalty. i tend to get too nervous. although a couple of weekends ago i brought my friend to her first event, and when royalty walked by to feast with some others in our camp, she completely freaked out and hid in the tent! teehee... oh well...

but yeah, one good rule of thumb is: if they are wearing metal on their head wider than an inch, nod your head or bow/curtsey. otherwise, just show respect in general... you know, the m'lady and m'lord and such stuff... if you come off a bit akward or whatnot, someone will most likely help you out or correct you depending on the situation.

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

xxDethWishxx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:49 pm
Considering ;ast week at Pennsic was my first SCA event EVER I didn't embarass myself too bad. I did go to the ball though and the guy who trolled me asked me to dance "throw the Dutchess (wench depending on who you ask) and when I jumped he lifted me a lot higher than I expected and I squeeled and almost fell. Other than that, I didn't do anything super terrible.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:10 pm
The thing to remember about royalty is that underneath all the glitz, they're really just people like you and me... and they were newbies once, too. If they snubbed you for making a minor faux pas like that at your first event, they're taking themselves a bit too seriously. It's a game, and most folks realize that, especially those who have been granted the right to wear one of those pretty pointed hats. At any rate, there's really nothing to be afraid of or nervous about. We're all people, just here to have a bit of fun and play 'lets pretend' for a while, and that king you're so knock-kneed over is probably just some I.T. geek in mundane life. wink  

Imzy
Crew

Courtesan Brigitte

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:37 pm
My first event I refered to my brother as "My Lord Erik," thinking it was the polite thing to say and leading everyone to believe that he had recieved an AoA and that he was my lover. Oops.

Advice:
Before talking to pointy hats, know how to recognize rank and address them accordingly. A Baron is generally flattered to be called "Your Grace," but a King would be insulted. ("Your Grace" is appropriate only for Dukes and Duchesses.)  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:05 pm
I hate when the royalty act like they're better. They're not. Hehehe, I saw the King trying to rally his men once on the field. He was yelling, "Get the spears!" Unfortunatly he was waviong his arms and was wide open, and standing on the haybale fortress wall. He got hit by 5 pikes all at once whee Oh that was funny.  

Abyssal Hamster

Courtesan Brigitte

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:59 am
ShaolinAssasin
I hate when the royalty act like they''re better. They''re not. Hehehe, I saw the King trying to rally his men once on the field. He was yelling, "Get the spears!" Unfortunatly he was waviong his arms and was wide open, and standing on the haybale fortress wall. He got hit by 5 pikes all at once whee Oh that was funny.

Silly royals...

Kings can make such asses of themselves. The current king of Aidenvelt (or however it''s spelled), for example: at a recent war, he held court three times a day, lasting up to three hours in a single court. Some of the fighters got so tired of waiting around that they started the war by themselves.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:51 am
Brigit the slave child

Silly royals...

Kings can make such asses of themselves. The current king of Aidenvelt (or however it''s spelled), for example: at a recent war, he held court three times a day, lasting up to three hours in a single court. Some of the fighters got so tired of waiting around that they started the war by themselves.

Ouch. That's insane!!! Huzzah to the fighters for taking initiative, though. Was anyone even /at/ court that often, or was he just talking to himself? lol  

Arithrel
Crew

Courtesan Brigitte

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:25 pm
Arithrel
Brigit the slave child

Silly royals...

Ouch. That's insane!!! Huzzah to the fighters for taking initiative, though. Was anyone even /at/ court that often, or was he just talking to himself? lol

There must have been 50 loyal subjects at the end of court (although far more at its start)... the fighters were mercinaries, so they were hardly worried about offending the royals.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:34 am
I think an important thing to remember about royals is that no more than six months ago, they were just normal members of the populace; and in no more than six months from now, they will return to being normal members of the populace  

musicman3672

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:48 pm
musicman3672
I think an important thing to remember about royals is that no more than six months ago, they were just normal members of the populace; and in no more than six months from now, they will return to being normal members of the populace

well... that's in some cases. counts and dukes are permanent, and barons, etc. last a while too. but even so, they're still normal people underneath it all...  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:42 am
At my first event I was called before the king and queen with no idea what the hell to do. thankfully smiling and nodding politley works in the SCA too. except replace nodding politley with bowing politley.  

fish_bait

Merewen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:05 pm
Yeah, my most embaressing moment?

The King of An Tir (Avaloc at this point in time with his queen Melika. (I know I spelled her name wrong.) decided to embaress a highly embaressable young lady (myself) by dancing puppets of himself and his lady fair on her head after the puppet show done by the local court jester.

I don't believe I've ever been that embaressed. But, after that it was fun, we couldn't look at each other straight without grinning. Although, we only saw each other twice after that, both at the same event as the aformentioned puppet dance.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:22 pm
musicman3672

Not entirely true. They get hats and titles forever; just different ones!  

Courtesan Brigitte

Salka McKie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:31 pm
well lets see...At an A&S I won the chivalry award in the "lord and lady of the oaks" tournament...

(Mind you the night before I had been standing infront of the fire, and unwhittingly charred my T tunic...)

As I knelt before the queen....****RIIIIIP**** the bum of my T tunic ripped open redface sweatdrop  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff