Welcome to Gaia! ::

History Huggers

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who do want to live in the past! 

Tags: history, historical 

Reply Main Forum
Historical Literature Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

radio paste
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:17 pm
Know any good Historical fiction novels? Maybe books more along the lines of primary sources? Biographies or autobiographies? Feel free to share any history-based literature.

Personally I've found it difficult to find good historical novels, so any suggestions would be great.

As for my contribution, here is one of my favorite poems, about a WWII gunner in an American bomber's ball turret. It's pretty graphic, but I find it really powerful. Aside from the obvious military references, it has an extended metaphor for abortion. Just another interesting layer, I think.

Quote:
"The Death of the Ball Turret Gunner" by Randall Jarell

From my mother's sleep I fell into the State,
And I hunched in its belly till my wet fur froze.
Six miles from earth, loosed from its dream of life,
I woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters.
When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose.

Usually I don't like poetry, but this one I love.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:02 pm
Historical Fiction? Read Johny Tremain.

Nah, I'm kidding. I hated that book, and don't recommend it.
Wow...you just made me realize that I haven't read any historical fiction. This is embrassing! lol

Well, what era of history interests you? Try finding books on that era. Trick to getting a good book, if you've read somewhat far into it, and don't like it than dump it.  

Skizio
Crew

radio paste
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:53 pm
It occurred to me just before that I've read more historical novels than i thought. XD

In terms of fiction, I highly recommend All Quiet on the Western Front, a novel about a German soldier during WWI and Catch-22, a novel about a group of Americans in WWII. In fact, I REALLY, REALLY recommend Catch-22. It is probably one of the most hilarious books you will read, with many laugh out loud moments, despite how dark and depressing it can be. Another good WWII fiction novel is Stones from the River, which is more about civilian life, as opposed to the first two, which are military novels. Stones from the River is about a dwarf living in a small German village who ends up helping turning her father's house into a safehouse for Jewish refugees. Oh, and Suite Francaise is supposed to be really good, but I haven't started it yet, even though I bought it.

As for non-fiction, I just finished reading a few months ago a book titled First They Killed my Father, a woman's memoir on her family's experiences during the Cambodian genocide under the Khmer Rouge in the 1970s. It's a pretty heavy book, but it's not bad. And there's also The Things they Carried by Tim O'Brien, a strange book about his experiences in Vietnam. I didn't like it much, but if you're curious about the mental stress of war, this is a pretty disturbing book.

ANYWAY. If anyone knows and Cold War era books, I'd be interested in that. xD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:45 pm
Hmmm...I'm a fan of historical fiction, but I have to admit I haven't read much in a while. I can recommend some though ^_^

Number the Stars: The sad, yet beautiful story of a Jewish family looking for peace and stability during WWII.

Fire from Heaven, The Persian Boy, and Funeral Games (Alexander the Great trilogy): An awesome historical fiction about Alexander's life, from his birth to after his death. Mary Renault, the author, really gets into his character. She writes almost as if she knew him.

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry: A great novel about a black family struggling to be accepted into early 20th century society.

Star in the Storm: Set in Newfoundland. Not a novel that's taking place waay far back, it's around the late 1900s. A girl finds a big black dog, whom she names Sirius for the white star in the middle of his black chest, only to find she can't keep him. Can Sirius prove his worth?

Troy: Oddly enough, not anything like the movie. The Trojan war told entirely from the Trojan's point of view (lol, Achilles is a wuss in this book, just to warn you)  

shirofoxes
Captain

Business Gekko

3,325 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Josephine Falnor

8,800 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:45 pm
I'd recomend that you read Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. It's a novel, but with lots of history woven into it. The story takes place around the time of the French Revolution. If you can stand to read over 1400 pages, it's an excellent book.

...Could someone tell me if it counts as historical fiction? I'm not sure, since it's a novel and all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:46 pm
I dont know any historical fiction from the Cold War era but one of my favorite books is forgotten fire the author tells the story of his grandfathers experience during the holocaust. Before I read this I didnt know anything about the Armenians being killed and the name of the title shows that its not a well known subject. Very sad. Very worth it. I highly recommend it.  

another_lame_username

Alonso Quijana

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:10 am
"Black Cross" and "Spandau Phoenix" are some pretty good historical novels by Greg Iles. I loved them both, but I prefer "Black Cross."  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:58 pm
Might I suggst Don Quixote? Its a rather amusing book about a gentleman who reads so many books on chivalry that he goes mad and begins to think that he's actualy a Knight. He sets out on many adventures to try and wright to world of its wrong. Its very amusing, but also very sad in some parts. I highly recomend it.

Hollow Fear

the grey seer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:17 pm
lord of the flies it has so many hidden meanings  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:38 am
Hmm not too sure about the war eras... In high school I read so much about the wars I went crazy >.< Anne Frank was the only book I read pertaining to wars. My favourite historical fiction is probably Phillippa Gregory! heart I also really like this book a just got called I, Elizabeth by Rosalind Miles. Painting beautiful pictures of the Elizabethan era.

I agree with Hollow Fear about Don Quixote! and hehe Lord of the Flies... oh high school, how I miss thee!

But I'm a Biography girl! I love my Marie Antoinette biographies, and my anticipated Marie Therese biography coming out next month. I'm really liking my Elizabeth biography as well! I was thinking of reading one of Shakespeare next... But I saw a documentary on Alexander the Great recently and i'd love to read more of him! I'm going to see as far back as I find in a biography ^^ Any suggestions?? =o

La Reine Marie Antoinette

WeHappyFew

4,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Contributor 150
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:53 am
not a bio, but there's a really good book about communism in russia called "animal farm", and then you could always get books actually written in ancient history, like i think plato wrote a book called "the republic", i'm not sure now though...ummm, not the most interesting, but "animal farm" is a really good book.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:29 am
It's not a novel, but if you are looking for historical literature, you can read Arthur Miller's "The Crucible." It's a play about the Salem Witch Trials, but it is also an allegory of McCarthyism in the 1950's.  

Alonso Quijana

the grey seer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:55 pm
really  
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:03 am
Hollow Fear
Might I suggst Don Quixote? Its a rather amusing book about a gentleman who reads so many books on chivalry that he goes mad and begins to think that he's actualy a Knight. He sets out on many adventures to try and wright to world of its wrong. Its very amusing, but also very sad in some parts. I highly recomend it.

I agree. I'm reading it right now and it's a wonderful book.  

Alonso Quijana

the grey seer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:56 am
that was an ironic stroy  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items