Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply SCA Guild
Is it just here, or is it like this everywhere(aldut-ish) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Artimus_Twitch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:00 pm
This has actually been bugging me for awhile.

I know there is a song about An-tir... where one of the lines is "If you cant get laid in an-tir, your just not trying" but, dear god, I didnt think is was as literal as I have found it.
I dont know if its just Avacal being full of whores or what...

No matter what event I go to I hear how so-and-so and whats-her-face hooked up the night before. At wars I barely ever see someone wonder off to a tent alone. Even when its not camping, SCA events just seem like and excuse to have one night stands.

Why this is absolutely bugging me now is I just got home from a Coronet tournoment today. I shared a hotel room with one of the guys in my household. Two beds but a pretty tiny room. I got woke because they ******** on the bed over... quite loudly... not even trying to hide it. I was so distrubed, and am kinda pissed at the lack of concideration. But what suprises me more... the guy has a girlfriend, and I am pretty sure the lady was married.

So.. do the night of SCA events essentually turn into orgys in other places? or is my area just really horney....
sad  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:19 pm
I am married, so have never hooked up at an event or war with someone. I have heard of people who do.
I do know that some households are more the party going type at wars. I tend to hang around those that are there to really recreate history.
I also run a teen center so minors have a place to hang out away from the drinking and carousing of the adults.
I would say to that person how disturbed you were by the behavior. I know it can be hard confronting someone, but letting him know that it was inconsiderate I feel would help you with the issue. I mean if he blows you off then you know he is an even worse scum then you already believe. Some people just aren't raised with good manners and I have seen people make inconsiderate choices because frankly it didn't occur to them that it is inconsiderate. You might explain how uncomfortable the situation was for you that way with luck it won't happen to someone else.
I know we have a group of 20 somethings that do the partner swapping and sharing at war. It is disturbing, but they have a right to their behavior as long as it doesn't interfere with my rights and those of the kids that are around.
Not all of us are that way. Oh, and I live in Atenveldt.

Minuet alCalive

Berzerker_prime

3,800 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:53 pm
I'd say that there are probably those types just about everywhere. But I think it's also pretty easy to avoid it if it makes you uncomfortable. There have been a couple times at events here in Northshield where I've had to tell someone that if things got uncomfortable for them in their camp, they could always come and share tent space with me, be it in the middle of the night or whatever, because it wasn't going to be happening where I was camping. It's yet another reason I love being in house Greyfeathre.

The SCA is, for the most part, a very open and accepting group of people. I think there are just people who forget that what's okay by them might not be okay by someone else. And really, that's true for any group. The wonderful thing about the SCA is that, with very few exceptions, you can have a personable and level conversation about it if there's a problem.

Sarah T. Foole.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:33 pm
It's a lot like that here in Ansteorra. It's really just people being people.
It's society for creative anachronism not the society for consenting adults people.

Haha. That last part was a joke.  

Seilde

Aged Werewolf

Artimus_Twitch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:17 pm
Oh I am deffenatly going to be talking to the guy about it, and me and my boyfriend are going to be refuseing to pitch in on the second night of the hotel room. Because.. really, I dont need to pay to have people doing that withen plain sight and two meters from me.
And because I am mean, I am probably going to tell his knight about it. He wont get angry or anything, just cause him to get made fun of. Its kinda how our household works.

I think I still just get suprised by behaivour like this regardless, if its SCA or not. Its just really out in the open in the SCA. And it seems like everyone does it. Sadly I cant even say I have never been a part of it, I have had a few drunken mistakes. None of which I am proud of.
In my area... there is pretty much no encampment where I could escape it. O_o;  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:50 pm
I was wondering about that from some of the other posts in the guild... I just figured maybe my Barony was just better behaved because there were so many kids.

I mean, you hear about wild parties at Pennsic, and there's not a lack of drinking in Stonemarche. I thought maybe it was such a small barony no one would do anything like that. I mean, you'll see them at the next event.  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

north_of_nita

3,050 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:41 pm
It seems like that everywhere, the last camping event I went to one of my guy friends got REALLY drunk and ended up "sleeping" with this chick about twice his age. I think it has more to do with the moonshine then anything else, cause the next night he didnt drink as much and was a good boy... that and the fact that I ran off to my tent with him and made him be my heater for the night.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:29 pm
Its pretty sad its like this everywhere.
But at least it seems I am not alone in being kinda frustrated with it.

Also I got about a half hour long appology from my friend. At least he had the decentcy to do that.  

Artimus_Twitch

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:46 pm
Artimus_Twitch
Its pretty sad its like this everywhere.
But at least it seems I am not alone in being kinda frustrated with it.

Also I got about a half hour long appology from my friend. At least he had the decentcy to do that.
I'm just pleased someone in that situation noticed something was wrong with it. I'm a bit tired of listening to Gomorrites bragging.
Because it's not like that here.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:39 pm
I'm also in An-Tir, and sadly I must say that a lot of people use it to "hook up" with people. I personaly had three men in one night ask me to go back to their tent. Even after I told them I was only 17 and had a boyfriend, two of them sill tried! (the one that didn't was a gentalmen. He walked me back to my tent and kept the other guys from trying to hard.) I havent been to an event in a wile though. -_-  

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Artimus_Twitch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:14 pm
alot of guys go after the young girls here alot.
Even when I was 17 I had alot of guys flurting, and I see underage girls getting half fondled at events and usually have to gosave them, or grab my baroness and we both go save them, whether they want to be saved or not.

I am happy that there are at least some decent members of my household, who are big and scary(and at the moment Prince) who know I am not into that and pretty much scare anyone off before they start trying too hard, or wont leave me alone.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:16 am
I guess in Calontir we're more conservative about, though I do hear things. And the whole flirting/harassment thing isn't a problem for me! I've been kinda adopted by a knight that will cut off any guys ears who flirts with me... And he will do it, too! sweatdrop

But my suggestion would be to talk to the people about it...

O C T O x p o d

ShadowDruid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:45 am
For some people, that is what the SCA is about hooking up, it is sad,
but, that is how it is sad. Stick around people, who will protect you,
it is also, the booze, it loosings inhibitions.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:55 pm
I'm ok with some hook-ups, IE if you come by yourself and want a bedwarmer for the night. Be it platonic or no. However some of the "whoreing" does get to me. Though the married or having a significant other thing doesn't bother me to bad as long as the couple has an open relationship as I know some of my friends do. If they're sneaking around behind their SO's backs then I have an issue.

Also, here in Terra Pomeria/Three Mountains area of AnTir the men are for the large part gentlemen and no means no and won't ask a second time.

I do get rather irritated at some of the guys/girls who switch beds every night though. Not only is it somewhat tasteless but it can leave bruised feelings w/whoever you spent the night with the night before.  

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

THE Great Mysterious inu

Shameless Exhibitionist

7,250 Points
  • Medalist 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:46 pm
In my barony, Barony of Brendoaken, there isn't much. I mean, people do hook up, and we flirt... a lot, and we get the occasional drunk guy hitting on the young maiden thing, but after that it's not BAD. I dunno... I haven't been to war since I was like 5, and i did lead a sheltered life... XD Three Towers aint bad I can tell you that much.  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff