78%
 78%  [ 18 ]
No.
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 23

Vaknar21

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:57 pm
Do you like reading the subtitles when watching anime?
or
Do you like listening to anime in English (or any other language)?
or
Both?
or
Do you already know the language and prefer to listen to the original sounds and voices of the anime?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:03 pm
I don't discriminate between Japanese and any other language. I have enjoyed anime in English, French, Italian, Korean, Chinese, and Spanish and have never really had too much of an complaint besides not being able to get English subtitles on the Italian or the Chinese ones.

Going to the English vs Japanese debate it really depends on the voice actors for me. I like a lot of the Japanese and English actors so I tend to pick the language on seeing who is voicing roles.  

Wyrn

Shameless Stalker

Vaknar21

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:45 pm
Wyrn
I don't discriminate between Japanese and any other language. I have enjoyed anime in English, French, Italian, Korean, Chinese, and Spanish and have never really had too much of an complaint besides not being able to get English subtitles on the Italian or the Chinese ones.

Going to the English vs Japanese debate it really depends on the voice actors for me. I like a lot of the Japanese and English actors so I tend to pick the language on seeing who is voicing roles.
ZI wasn't trying to say that English is the big one, I just used an example, but oh well.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:11 pm
Well since I naturally speak English it is given that most of the foreign language dubbed anime I watch is in English.  

Wyrn

Shameless Stalker

Hoshikanjou

6,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:33 pm
I watch most anime in Japanese with English subtitles. But if my family is watching, it is usually in English only. They can't keep up with the subtitles sometimes and not a one of us speaks Japanese.

Sometimes, if I'm rewatching a series, I'll just listen to the voices in Japanese, versus actually following the story, and try to pick out a few Japanese words. Goofy, I know. Yeah, I know its usually only the casual Japanese language style that is used in anime and therefore isn't suitable to use if I just met someone who actually spoke Japanese.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:56 am
Hoshikanjou
But if my family is watching, it is usually in English only. They can't keep up with the subtitles sometimes and not a one of us speaks Japanese.

It is actually quite opposite in my family. My mother is Korean and my father was raised in Japan. Our family learns at a young age to watch foreign movies with/without subtitles. So anytime the family want to put in a foreign film it is going to be in the original language. Anime is a bit different and the foreign dubs do not compromise it as it would a live action film. I watch all live action in the original language unless it is a spoof then I watch the spoof version like what MTV did to Volcano High.

My family has no preference on anime since they do not like it. My lover likes it all in English while my closest friends seem to always want it in Japanese (or Chinese if given the option).  

Wyrn

Shameless Stalker

The Maxie Girl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:27 am
I prefer Japanese with English subtitles. Of course I can watch in any other language... But it makes it more exiting for me to watch in Japanese. :3  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:25 am
:::
Japanese alone pref, but if it's late at night I have to watch with subtitles so I don't wake anyone up. sweatdrop

DALEKTABLE

Zenryan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:15 am
I'd rather watch it in Japanese with English subtitles. Because I really like Japanese, and it helps me learn another language ^^ But I can watch it in a different language... doesn't really make a big difference to me. = =;;  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:20 am
If it's in some kind of Chinese, I'll listen to it as is.

If not, I'll watch it in the original language with subtitles.  

SaintHiroku

x - Johnny HazardXx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:50 pm
I prefer English with/without subtitles. I work late so volume is an issue I watch regular English language movies with English subtitles a lot too lol. However online I watch Japanese w/ English subtitles because that's usually the only format available. I don't mind it, sometimes I have to pause to read as it goes fast sometimes. usually only once or twice an episode though. I enjoy the Japanese voices though ^_^  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:34 pm
I prefer English or Japanese. The voice actors in other languages don't quite work for me lol. But if I'm just listening(like instead of music I'll pop a movie in while I'm on the computer or something) I like it in English so that I can follow the story. But other than it depends on which voices I like better for the characters.  

StrangeAngelxx

mnesmone

3,150 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:55 pm
I'm gonna say I prefer reading subtitles.. I kinda got used to it..  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:25 pm
I do not prefer one over the other, they're both great. It's just easier for me to catch everything if the anime is dubbed but I usually watch the subbed version.  

Zumae

Da_Nuke

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:40 am
When watching anime, my choice is usually something like this:

Mexican > Japanese > English > Spaniard > Venezuelan

Why? Here's the reason:
  1. Mexican dubs kick major a**. One thing is hearing Asuka from Evangelion yelling "SHINJI NO BAKA!!!!!!!" in her high-pitched Japanese schoolgirl voice and another thing is hearing Asuka yelling "Schindschi errrrres un idiotah, scheiße!" in Spanish with a rough German accent.
  2. The Japanese original, although it requires subtitles, is great too because it has the original voice acting, which is usually wicked awesome ^^
  3. English dubs are usually quite good in my experience. Nagato from Suzumiya Haruhi, for example, sounds simply calm and educated in the Japanese original, but in the English dub her voice becomes a flat monotone that suits her way better.
  4. Spaniard dubs are not bad but I don't like them much because Spaniards speak weird. They're the ones who say "grathias" instead of "gracias" and "vosotros podéis" instead of "ustedes pueden".
  5. South American dubs are not absolutely bad but their quality is way too variable. The Tsukihime dub, for example, does a great job at inflecting the calmer scenes with a sense of dignity and seriousness, but it bombs bad at action scenes.

An Anime Addict's Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff