Welcome to Gaia! ::

Simple and Effective?

Yes, clear and simple. 0.8 80.0% [ 4 ]
No, what is this, I dunno? 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Ka-ching! 0.2 20.0% [ 1 ]
Total Votes:[ 5 ]

Hi!
I was trying to come up with a way to make a Supers game without the laundry list of powers. I think I have it, let me know what you think:
Characters are made of Traits, Traits are divided into 7 categories:
1) Superpowers (This is a Trait with the Power Tag and Super Tag and at least one other Arena Tag - i.e., Physical, Mental or Social).
2) Powers (This is a Trait with the Power Tag and at least one Arena Tag) - Powers differ from Super Powers in that they cannot always be brought into play in a conflict in its Arena (sometimes you are not strong enough to overcome that physical challenge). While Super Powers can always be used to overcome challenges in their Arena.
3) Abilities (Abilities only have the Ability Tag). Abilities fall into the realm of human potential. They impact challenges, but not on the same scale as Powers or Super Powers.
4) Standard Traits (These have no Tags). Standard Traits have no mechanical weight and are simply used to define your character in terms other than kewl powerz.
5) Marks (A Mark only has the Mark Tag). A Mark is a weakness that can be applied to any arena of conflict. This represents an aspect of human weakness that is present in your character (Such as Mark of Greed or Mark of Witlessness).
6) Weaknesses (This will have the Weakness Tag and at least one Arena Tag) a Weakness should impair your progress in its Arena most of the time, but not all of the time. These are extraordinary weaknesses that require special care to overcome, like Batman's reliance on a Utility Belt.
7) Super Weakness (This is a Trait with the Weakness Tag, the Super Tag and at least one Arena Tag). This is a catastrophically bad weakness. It will almost always come into play in conflicts in this arena and will be nearly impossible to overcome. Think of Samuel L Jackson's character in Unbreakable when you want to imagine a Super Weakness with a Physical Arena Tag.

Remember, there is not list of Traits, just come up with a Trait and assign it Tags. For isntance Deceptive could be a Super Weakness, Weakness, Mark, Standard Trait, Ability, Power or Super Power. Its up to you.

So, based on that introduction, Char gen is as follows:
Have a complete character design in mind, then do the following:
Select 3 Tags for Powers and Super Powers. In order to get a Super Power you must spend at least 2 of these Tags (one for Super and one for each Arena)
Select 3 Abilities
Select 3 Standard Traits
Select 1 Mark
Select one Weakness Tag. In order to get a Super Weakness you must spend at least 2 of these Tags (one for Super and one for each Arena)
You can get Extra Abilities by selecting extra Marks (on a one-for-one basis)
You can get extra Tags for Powers by selecting extra Tags for Weaknesses (on a one-for-one basis)
You are done!
And all of this (except for Standard Traits) feeds directly into the Resolution mechanic.

Example:
Uber Man
Super Strength (Power, Super, Physical)
X-Ray Vision (Power, Mental)
Observant (Ability)
Popular (Ability)
Smart (Ability)
Seeks Truthiness (Trait)
Seeks Fairness (Trait)
Protects all Equally (Trait)
Alter Ego (Mark)
Green Rocks (Weakness, Physical)
This is a starting character. As you can see, He has an edge on knowing things that are hidden (X-Ray Vision) and can overcome almost any physical challenge.

The idea is to make Comic book-style super heroes. But, I wanted to open the door to player creativity. So, this sort of flexible system is perfect.
So, what do you think?
I like it. It's good for a simple free-form roleplaying experience. Creative descriptions and intelligent thinking are all you need beyond your powers, and you could fit a character on an index card! You'd just need a group of mature players who wouldn't make ridiculous characters =)
Hi!
If you want to see how these traits work together, check out this post:
DNAwesome - Mechanics
Hi all,

I really liked the game concept. It was easy to understand and the character creation looks simple but gave me lots of ideas about how I could make a cool character while staying in the guidelines given.

For example, I could make a Super Strength character called Mega Maria as my alter ego while my non-alter ego could be anything from an activist to a secretary. I does look like a simple system to make a cool character who could do some awesome things. I would really like to play this game, even if just for a trial to see how I could make to work.

Thanks,
Angelinco
Cool!
Thanks for the feedback. I just wanted to be able to allow the players to create the EXACT character they wanted. For instance, one guy suggested the power "Eyeball Control" where he can cause other characters to be blind or control where the look. I cold never even dream up this kind of power, and it is just the kind of awesome I want to enable.
Hi!
I added a mechanic called Grit. To determine grit at chargen, do the follwing:
Players
Start with 3
Subtract one for each Super Power
Add one for each Weakness
Subtract one if the character does not have at least three Standard Traits
Add one if the character has more than three Standard Traits

GM
One
Plus one for each PC

To see how these get used, see this:
http://gaiaonline.com/forum/table-top-gaming/dnawesome-grit-whadya-think/t.41205719/
Hi,

I like the idea of "grit" you have added to character creation. This character creation system has a lot of potential and I think I, and other players, could use it to come up with some really unique creative characters. Looking forward to try this out.

Angelinco biggrin
Hi!
Thanks for the feedback.
Think you can break my chargen?
If so, check out this post::
DNAwesome - Break my chargen please!
Lemme know what you think?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash